9241 Internal hard drive replacement - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 11:31 AM

yogi999 you did not do the last step to clear the NVRAM after you have done what you said you have to press tv/video

Clear NVRAM:
You should be at the Memory Dump screen.
Press TV/Video.
A different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram.
Then just press the power button on the receiver.
You will lose all favorites, timers and customized settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-08-20, 10:51 PM
Rookie

Hi bellxvue,

The problem is I never be at the Memory dump,

I press Menu, 6 ,3 , Info (within 5 sec) then the receiver ask me to connect the phone line ... !

Sometime I have time to press Info (within 5 sec) Browse Theme TV/ Video but I have the same message .

Tomorrow I will try it again before return the hard disk to Bestbuy.
post #93 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 07:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Reviving old thread.

My 9241 HDD bit the dust finally. I tried re-formatting and clearing NVRAM but didn't help. I opened the case and to my surprise found a WD 2.5" drive. Model #WD5000BUCT-57LS5Y1

Are you guys finding 3.5" drives in your units?

post #94 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 11:29 PM

Guys, I was able to get the 9241 PVR working again. It wasn't booting after I tried the steps found in this thread, format the HD and clearing NVRAM, all I was getting was a black screen. I thought the hard drive was gone and I would be forced to look for a new one.

Here's the steps I took to get it working again:

1. Removed the drive (2.5" Western Digital)
2. Connected the HDD to my PC and deleted all partitions- there were 4.
3. Created NTFS partition and formatted.
4. copied data to drive to verify the HDD was working (it was)
5. deleted partition.
5. performed low level format using Western Digital Data LifeGuard - took about an hour
6. removed drive and reinstalled into 9241
7. powered up receiver and it came back to life after one restart initiated on it's own. Message indicating drive was corrupted and drive would be cleaned <OK> to proceed. Receiver restarted a third time.

All PVR functions have been restored!
post #95 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-18, 03:27 AM

Nice one.

I have only seen a 2.5" drive in a 9400 before.
post #96 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-18, 11:41 AM

cordoba002, thanks for your info on the drive and your procedure on getting it working. Was there anything special to the mounting bracket other than basic 2.5 to 3.5 adapter bracket?

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #97 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-18, 07:24 PM

dirtroad - no, not that I could see. The HDD bracket was attached to a larger cage housing the cooling fan via 4 screws with anti-vibration grommets. That's about it. The entire assembly has to removed to get to the drive which requires the removal of the 9241 front bezel.
post #98 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-26, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Hey guys,

My 9241 just recently pooched out on the PVR side (I get the hard drive error but still get TV) and I'm trying to locate a HD. About 1 or so years ago this happened and must have lucked out as I just pulled up the compatible HD list and found one local right away. Fast forward and I can't find anything, anywhere. I'm a bit nervous to try re-formatting this one in fear of bricking the unit and having no TV at all. Anyone have any luck tracking down a HD?

Thanks!
post #99 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-26, 10:09 PM

Have you tried the steps in my previous post?
post #100 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Well, as I stated, I'm a bit nervous to try anything with the HD at this point as I've still got TV. The last time my HD pooched i pulled it out and tried to format in my PC and it wouldn't do it. I just wanted to find a HD first and then I'd have no problem trying to re-format this HD. Also, the HD currently in this is a Seagate ST3320310CS Firmware SC14 vs the WD in your post. Would that matter?
post #101 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 12:39 PM

I recently purchased a Seagate ST1000VM002 that I originally put in my 9241, but moved it to my 9242. Worked in both flawlessly, but I don't know what firmware. Just google "buy ST1000VM002" there are a number of sellers, and paid $75 plus tax, very easy to install.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #102 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 02:24 PM
Rookie

With the 1TB drive mentioned (ST1000VM002) I read back on post #82 that it has to be firmware vs SC11 only, not the SC23.
post #103 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestman View Post
Well, as I stated, I'm a bit nervous to try anything with the HD at this point as I've still got TV. The last time my HD pooched i pulled it out and tried to format in my PC and it wouldn't do it. I just wanted to find a HD first and then I'd have no problem trying to re-format this HD. Also, the HD currently in this is a Seagate ST3320310CS Firmware SC14 vs the WD in your post. Would that matter?
crestman - WD vs Seagate doesn't matter.

You said you couldn't format the drive last time you tried,

Was the drive spinning up when you installed it into the PC?
What steps did you take the last time you tried re-formatting via PC? Did you delete all partitions first via the Disk Management console? and create a new NTFS partition?

btw. You cannot format the drive straight out of the PVR. The file system is incompatible therefore Windows will not "see" the drive. Doesn't mean the drive is dead.

I believe if the drive is spinning up without abnormal noise, the drive is good. It's just needs to be "re-conditioned" to work in the PVR.

Check out these Seagate tools to perform a low level format. (Western Digital Data LifeGuard should work too)

How Do I Low-Level Format a SATA or ATA (IDE) Hard Drive?
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
post #104 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtroad View Post
I recently purchased a Seagate ST1000VM002 that I originally put in my 9241, but moved it to my 9242. Worked in both flawlessly, but I don't know what firmware. Just google "buy ST1000VM002" there are a number of sellers, and paid $75 plus tax, very easy to install.
That's a 3.5" drive. Are you guys finding 3.5" instead of 2.5"?
post #105 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-02-02, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info cordoba002!

I'm a bit unsure of how I went about the format last time. I'm sure I tried through disk manager and tried to delete partitions. I sure wish I'd have kept that old original drive as I probably could have re-conditioned it as you've stated. At any rate, I can't find another drive that's on the compatibility list so I may have to give that a try. At this point this receiver has been relegated to bedroom receiver so I'm not as concerned about the PVR side as much, but would still like to get that back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in