9241 Internal hard drive replacement - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-07-24, 05:25 AM
Rookie

What other 1Tb hard drives can you get to work???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 12:14 AM
Rookie

Thanks, that's the one I ordered last night from Amazon for $85. I had read it might not work but will give it a shot and update how it went. Also if it works I might as well update my other 2 PVRs. Thanks for the reply.

post #49 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 12:24 AM

Keep us posted. If it does work I will start a new list of Drives that are 1 Terabyte or larger that work in the 92XX/94XX Series PVR's
post #50 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-08-08, 09:09 PM

I definitely can confirm that the Seagate ST1000VM002 works in the 9241... the original WD Caviar drive from 2008 failed last weekend, I ordered one for $74.56, installed it a few minutes ago and all is well. 150 hours HD, 500 hours SD.
post #51 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 12:38 AM
Rookie

Well I replaced it and it works kinda. It keeps freezing up the whole system. I have to reboot it all the time. Could it be a bad Hard Drive right from the factory? Or what other choice to I have now for a 1TB Drive. Dont really want to try another ST1000VM002.
post #52 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-08-19, 01:44 PM

A Seagate Pipeline HD .2 1TB ST31000424CS will work perfectly as well if you do not want to purchase the same style Hard Disk
post #53 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 10:26 AM
Veteran

As I have posted before, the ST1000 is flaky assuming you can even get it to work in a 9241. Out of about 20 drives I have tried, only four would format in the receiver. All the others were not recognized.

The ST31000424CS works 100% of the time in my experience.
post #54 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Failed hdd replacement 9241; brick

Hi,
I was reading this forum for some time, when I decided to change the hdd in my 9241 (that was working fine with a 320gb hdd).
I was following the steps required (clear the nvram, change disk). The error message that I was expectin, then run diagnostics then...I was expecting to go about my bussiness allowing the box to format the drive. But no joy, the system exibit the phenomenon called by others "blinking red brick". No life after the initial spinnoff of the disk, always the same lights pattern, but ending in blue-yellow-blinking red (the three main leds). No video ( occasional "no signal") no input possible from local buttons or remote. BRICK.
I was PM ing some of you that I felt are here for a long time so to speak and to avoid the eventual "you read the forum first, moron..)
But no joy, I stiil have to pass trough the general discution thread for the 9241 terminal, then the related 9242, but a search of "failed hdd replacement" and the reading of the dedicated "9241 hdd replacement" give no real solution for me.
The only thing that was suggested (and worked for some) was the USB key while hard resseting the unit. It was supposed do awaken the screen with a popup that gives you again the control. No joy for me! I put back the old disk (now I think that only disconnecting all together the disk I didn't do..)
So, here I am , in the dedicated thread, asking : is there any way to have my fonctional 9241 back ?
post #55 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 11:45 PM
Veteran

I recall someone posting here that inserting a credit card or similar into the smart card slot allowed them to get into the menu after the error message came up. This was after the USB trick failed. Worth a try.
post #56 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 09:12 AM
Rookie

Thank you Peano for the answer (and the PM). I do understand that for some the USB key worked, for a lot others no. About the smartcard I was wondering what kind of smartcard it would work. Btw I don't know where the so called chip card is located as I did not see one, i thought that the slot was intended for that...

On another subject, maybe related, I could aquire a 9241 that is functional but cannot be activated with Bell. Can I do something , like putting two together to have one functional? Thanks in advance for any clue.
post #57 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 09:45 AM
Rookie

I am guessing the 9241 that is functional but "cannot be activated" is a rental unit. There is nothing that can be done with that and I am hearing that bell will soon start to chase people who just abandon/sell these units. No way to swap out anything, other that the drive AFAIK.

By the way, a 9241/9242 should work without a drive if I recall. No idea why yours died, very odd. Any chance you disconnected a lead or something?
post #58 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 10:41 AM
Rookie

I work on a daily bases with drives at work (albeit in an IT environment not digital entertainment) and I am sure that the connections were handled properly.
Btw I changed the location of the unit and I plugged it for more than 24h into a second cable int the basement that Bell installed for me as future tv installment (the dish is properly fitted with DPP and both two cables come down ). And the blinkink disapeared, now is all dead . Not having a tv in the basement does not help to see what happens...I will try to move it back to where the tv is but I don't know if the process will come back to the red-blinking-of-death RBOD point...Maybe there is a flash that keep track of where it was..

ps for the 9241 that cannot be activated the guy is willing to give me the R and S numbers cause he says a friend that owned the thing gave it to him when leaving the country and he couldn't get a hold of him to call BELL to release it. So I guess I read somewhere that Bell releases automatically after a year...
post #59 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundewalt View Post
So I guess I read somewhere that Bell releases automatically after a year...
If only that was true......
post #60 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundewalt View Post
About the smartcard I was wondering what kind of smartcard it would work. Btw I don't know where the so called chip card is located as I did not see one, i thought that the slot was intended for that...
Any card that fits into the card slot will work. There is most likely no card in the slot currently as it is using the onboard smart chip on the motherboard.

When you push a "dummy" card all the way in, it trips a switch and the receiver tries to read the card, but of course it will be invalid so it "should" pop up an error. That may allow you into the menus. But if you have no lights at all I would say its time for Dish Care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in