Bell TV 9242 Firmware Update V187 (Sept 15, 2010)) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:08 AM
Rookie

Video freeze after update

The PVR (9242) has been locking up since the update and its getting more frequent. Video freezes and worse yet, it freezes while in the diagnostic screens.

Anyone else experience this after the update. So far, several of my friends have had this issue and have had to have their pvr replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:15 AM
Rookie

got the same problem.. allowed the firmware update so I could move to a larger drive. was using v 184 previously. I have a friend who is a bell tech tell me that its a known problem.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 02:02 PM
Rookie

Problem until last week

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english.

We have many problems with our 9242 until last week. And yes, it have the V187 software.

Last wednesday afternoon and evening was terrific. Freeze, restarted itself but freezing in the starting process. I unplugged it, wait and plug AC again. I had to do it many time before a complete restarting. Sometime, only the TV1 green led flashing.

In the evening, i reformatted the hard drive (with the remote), also clear the NVRAM. All was ok all the night. But thursday just before noon, Same problem began again.

I called Bell, and finally, send me another 9242 (refurbished for 150$). But this week-end, no problem with mine.

I don't know if i will take the refurbished, if it's a Bell firmware problem.

What do you think about that?

G Picard

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Mr. Picard,

So far I've heard from 8 people I know personally who are now experiencing these very same issues.
I've encouraged them to join this forum and voice their opinions.

The very thought of paying $149 for a USED piece of gear to replace my NEW (18 month old) PVR is sickening.

Four of my colleagues have had the exact same problem and it only began occurring after the 187 firmware update.
before that time it worked flawlessly.

Its a kick in the groin and a poke in the eye with a burnt stick.

Two of the four colleagues have since received their replacement pvr's (at no cost) and everything has been working perfectly for them.

I'm thinking selling all my gear on Kajiji and tossing bell all together.

$108 per month for telephone and internet and netflix through rogers over $148 with bell... seems like a no brainer to me.

Even if we go with the ultimate package, it will be about the same as bell but unlimited movies.

Even if they replace my receiver for free, they will have a challenge keeping me as a customer. I've been with bell for 10 years, I've reached the end.

A divorce is coming.

Last edited by Jake; 2010-10-03 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed strong language from title
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
The very thought of paying $149 for a USED piece of gear to replace my NEW (18 month old) PVR is sickening.
The new receiver you bought 18 months ago had a 12 month warranty. Would you prefer they offer you a new receiver for full price, as that is what they could do.? I think that Bell shipping a refurb for $149 is a good offer, even if it does involve shipping back the defective one as part of the deal and you even get a warrany on this receiver too.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 03:45 PM
Rookie

I disagree

I disagree considering that there was nothing wrong with the receiver before the update. Since the bell menu does not offer an option to split downloading of the firmware and the programming information, they are forcing us to update the firmware, potentially rendering our equipment unusable.

If your had your car serviced and the mechanic damaged something in the process of said service, are you obligated to pay for the repairs?

Anyone who knows about electronics understands the risks of flashing equipment. Its risky business. My pvr failed to re-initialize after the firmware and was frozen on the "attention" screen with the progress stuck at 2 of 5.

Considering that bell is aware that owners of 9242 are having problems after the firmware update and they have a history of such issues,
they need to be accountable to protect their customer base. They will simply take my PVR and re-flash it and send it back into service
on my dime.

The gear is only part of the issue. What about all the programming that will be lost?

One might argue that since it wasn't watched during the scheduled broadcast but instead recorded, it was "consumed" and therefore no longer the responsibility of bell. Well under normal circumstances I could accept this argument, but when a firmware update results in lost programming I'm much less inclined to agree particular when the PVR feature is the prime selling point for their service.

Many have lost programming which is akin to not having service at all. It was not viewed and enjoyed therefore the user did not benefit from the satisfaction of the service.

I should have paid for the extended warranty from FS.

Last edited by binary; 2010-10-03 at 04:40 PM.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 04:56 PM
Rookie

If the problem was as widespread as you imply, Bell would have updated the software again, just like they did earlier in the year.

I am sure that if they are aware, a fix will be issued soon.

What have Bell told you when you called them to make them aware.?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 07:31 PM
Rookie

I don't think 8 people that I personally know constitutes "wide spread", however my four colleagues (locally) and friends in London(2), Kitchener(1) and Ottawa(1) have all had very similar occurances. One friend is a level 2 bell tech. The statement "Bell is aware" is just that. They know that some customers have experienced issues. You can report that to your bell boss. The tech on the phone certainly did not confirm the issue, but they would not deny it either.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 11:37 PM
Rookie

No problems before or after the update - so far - touch wood - my 9242 has never frozen or hiccuped in the least. I have a Lacie 1TB drive attached [no delay when hitting the show recordings button - the hard drive is always on]
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 12:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
They will simply take my PVR and re-flash it and send it back into service on my dime.
Do you know a way to force the PVR to receive again the last firmware? After all i did (reformatted the hard drive, clear NVRAM), i don't know if receiving it again will not correct my problem.

If Bell only do that and after, sold it like a refurbished, if i can do that by myself, i want to try it.

G Picard
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 09:47 AM
Veteran

I don't think there is anyway to do that. I haven't noticed any changes at all with the last firmware update. No problems here.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 10:19 AM
Rookie

I have 2 x 9242's and they work just the same as before, nothing changed.

The firmware cannot be rolled back, it would be better if the newer receivers had an option in the menu like the older ones, where you could choose to update or not. My 3100 is still running an old version as I have it set to not accept new updates, it still works fine.

I used to let others update, wait a few weeks to see if it screwed up, then accept, shame we cannot do that now.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 12:54 PM
Rookie

my 9242 with V187 is working fine. For those with a 9242 that is freezing do you have a lot of timers set up? How about VuPass timers?
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 12:55 PM
Rookie

20 hours and counting

Sunday morning, sometime before 7am the receiver restarted and wouldn't boot. I let it run until 12 noon like this as I was fed up. Unplugged the unit and it restarted and has been running ever since.

As far as flashing the eeprom, we would typically have to pull the chip and reprogram it on an eeprom programmer attached to a pc via a serial connection. I'm not familiar with with bell's newest receivers as I haven't worked on any of them since the early 2000's. Occasionally, when we had a bad flash, the device was damaged due to it running in a mode that it wasn't intended causing excessive heat buildup. In other cases re-flashing the equipment fixed the issue. What I'm saying is that simply re-flashing the unit's eeprom chip(s) may not be enough. This works if the chips can be removed from a socket and easily replaced. If the chip is integrated on the main board removing the chip is very tricky and delicate and in most cases not worth the effort.

when we flashed modems in our modem pool and the firmware failed, we just tossed the modem because the chip was not removable or it wasn't compatible with the eeprom programmer we used.

ruserious: I only had three timers set. Stargate Universe (not active as new the new season had not started), cash cab and Nakita.

I only allowed the update to proceed to get the new programming for discovery and space. Problems started immediately after.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 02:14 PM

I got a different freeze problem last night. Was watching a show from the PVR at the same time as it was recording (started watching about 20 minutes late). When the show finished recording, the screen froze with the last viewed frame from the show. I could go back to the PVR menu to try to restart it but anything I chose went back to the frozen screen from the show. Finally I chose another recorded show and that "unfroze" it. Went back to the original show and could now restart it from the beggining and FF to where I was.

Never seen this before the update and I watch shows while they are recording all the time.

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in