9242: Firmware update V185 (Feb 03, 2010) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

9242: Firmware update V185 (Feb 03, 2010)

This thread is to discuss Firmware V185 which is designed to address the IR sensor picking up the TV's IR signals.

The firmware is rolling out between today and Saturday so please do not ask when you will get it or your post will be removed.

It should also feature updates found in V184 including
  • internet connectivity for ordering Pay-per-view (PPV) programs;
  • internet connectivity for remote access feature expected to launch around Feb 12th;
  • Support for external hard drives up to 1.5TB;
  • a grouping feature on the external drive that creates new folders when more than one episode of a show is archived;
  • a bug fix to help users that had difficulty accessing their external hard drives when they were almost full;
  • highlighting of name of favourites for easier identification;
  • a new Self Serve menu option that provides users with an on demand ordering option and a portal to various interactive applications;
  • and minor bug fixes.

Please post when you have received V185 and let us know how it works for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 05:21 PM

Have 185 here and the IR seems back to normal now, so far.

I had an IR keyboard, X10 remote and a projector remote that seemed to give it issues and I still require an IR and not UHF PVR control.

(2x 9242, 6131, 4700 and all Sony)
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 05:22 PM
Rookie

v185 is out!!!

I just checked my 9242 now, v185 *IS* installed.

*crossing fingers* - dont think they could screw this up twice in a row.

I'm so glad, I just called BEV last night, and got a credit for a full 2 months service. Plus the loyalty rep offered a free rental for 1 yr @ no cost if it was not resolved in 2 wks time.

Anyone who calls for credit now will be lucky to get any more than 2 weeks worth since that was the duration of the issue.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 10:36 AM

So far, so good. No random effects when using the IR remote.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 07:38 PM

Got V185 on Wednesday. I did not have any real showstopper issues with V184, so I don't notice anything different with V185.

9242 PVR, 9200 PVR (with borked V222 firmware; skip to live bug, broken trick-play features)
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 10:24 PM

Question

HTML Code:
a grouping feature on the external drive that creates new folders when more than one episode of a show is archived;
Where do we find this???
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 10:40 PM

recon: It happens automatically. If you have more than one recording under the same name on your external drive, that name will show up as a folder in the list of recordings. If you select the folder, it expands to show the individual recordings.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 11:18 AM

I noticed it was in last night when browsing the setup menues (no idea why I was there).

The big change is the "Connectivity" menu. It has a setup for "HomeComm". It searches your LAN and finds other ethernet enabled satellite receivers on your network. Any idea what this is for? Allow you to record/watch PVR programs from a non-PVR box perhaps?

Sounds interesting..... I'd love to see it host itself as a UPnP or DLNA server to allow devices like my PS3 to watch recorded videos. That would be slick.....
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dev View Post
recon: It happens automatically. If you have more than one recording under the same name on your external drive, that name will show up as a folder in the list of recordings. If you select the folder, it expands to show the individual recordings.
no, not automatic. you have to turn on the grouping. If you already had it turned on for the internal drive, it will automatically now do the ext drive.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I noticed it was in last night when browsing the setup menues (no idea why I was there).

The big change is the "Connectivity" menu. It has a setup for "HomeComm". It searches your LAN and finds other ethernet enabled satellite receivers on your network. Any idea what this is for? Allow you to record/watch PVR programs from a non-PVR box perhaps?

Sounds interesting..... I'd love to see it host itself as a UPnP or DLNA server to allow devices like my PS3 to watch recorded videos. That would be slick.....
I don't think homecomm uses ethernet. Homecome can discover other recievers, not connected to phone or ethernet, so they can order PPV.
The increased functionality enables more ways for you to give bell your money.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 01:14 PM

Quote:
no, not automatic. you have to turn on the grouping. If you already had it turned on for the internal drive, it will automatically now do the ext drive.
Oops, right you are. I'm surprised that they applied the grouping setting from the regular listings to the external listings, since every other user-interface feature of the external listing acts (gratuitously) differently. Even the folders act differently, expanding in-line rather than opening a new screen.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 03:03 PM

I see nothing about folders. I checked, I do have v185.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 04:43 PM

Groups

Folders are referred to as Groups in the Recordings menu.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 07:40 PM

Hmmm... Tom.F.1.... it appears you are correct. Started doing some sniffing on the web, and Dish has been using it since 2007. It utilizes "HomePlug" technology. Allows your 9242 to talk over the powerline to other Homeplug devices (aka sat receivers), or to a Homeplug reciver. I can only see that being useful for ET to call home. Darn... I'd like to see a nice multimedia application for it. They make HomePlug devices to transmit HD video over the powerline in your home.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 08:22 PM

There are networking routers that work over your electrical wiring.

I don't know how reliable it is. I don't use this myself, but I've read about the powerline stuff. Check it out:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...s/HDXB101.aspx

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware , hd pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in