9242: Firmware update V185 (Feb 03, 2010) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-20, 11:09 PM

HomeComm ...

I have 2 - 9242's, both have the latest firmware, but they cannot see each other on the Homecomm status menu ???

Based on posts in this forum, the receiver's should be able to see each other across the power line, but when I perform a scan from the Homecomm setup menu, each receiver only see's it's own MAC address.

Am I missing something here ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-20, 11:23 PM

I am uncertain, but I have read complaints from people who have purchased powerline routers that if they are not plugged in to an outlet on the same circuit, it either does not work at all, or it's diminished signal. It's best if they are on the same circuit breaker.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-27, 08:30 PM
Zak

Remote response

For the past day or two I've noticed the response time on my remote/pvr has gone way, way up. Hitting skip forward takes about 3 seconds to do. The icon appears on screen immediately but the actual jump is delayed. Very annoying. Running the latest firmware on the unit.

Anyone else seeing this?

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 05:44 AM

Yes I've noticed it too. Plus the software takes you all the way back to the top of the scheduled list whenever you skip a show. I find that cumbersome. It would be great if it would leave you where it left off. This would avoid repetitive scrolling. Due to one of my VIEW PASS selections, Will & Grace keeps getting scheduled. I don't want to watch this so I skip it. Sometimes there are 10 Will & Grace episodes to skip. It's much easier to do it on the PVR itself.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 11:21 AM

I'm having problem with the remote that came with my yamaha HTR6190, I've gotten some functionality back, but not everything.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 03:26 PM

I've noticed that with this firmware that I'm having my PVR programs "hang" when I'm watching them, and a timer is recording in the background. It's currently in single user mode. When it hangs, the audio ends, and the picture is frozen.

If i hit "stop" on my PVR program, nothing will happen for about 15 seconds, then the PVR menu will show up. I can "resume" the show, and it *usually* is fine. But I did have a movie do that to me 3 times in a 15 minute span.

Anyone else having this issue? I forgot to check if it was recording on tuner 1 or 2 when this happened.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 02:25 AM
Rookie

Jump to live bug occurring on 9242

Wires,
I have encountered a similar problem as well as what appears to be the "Jump to live" bug. I've read that this was a common problem on the 9200 receivers but I have not found other 9242 owners complaining about it. I first noticed it happening during the olympics (mid-february 2010) and I suspect it is either a problem with this v185 firmware or potentially a hard drive issue. When I am watching buffered television or start watching a recording via the My Recordings menu while the recording is still in progress, the program plays fine for a period of time, but then the picture gets all messed up and then skips all the way to live tv.

This happens so often that the "pause live tv" feature of the pvr is essentially rendered useless. I have to rewind all the way back to where I was (rewind speed is affected as well - goes much slower than 300X), and most of the time it will happen again within 30 seconds or so. It is getting so frustrating that I have to restrain myself from throwing the remote through my tv screen.

Are others with the 9242 experiencing this problem? If so, how recently did it start? Does anyone know if there was ever a solution found for this bug on the 9200's? Is there a way to format the hard drive or revert to the previous firmware to see if that fixes anything?
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 08:53 AM
Veteran

I've noticed momentary picture freezes and audio dropouts on HBO1 recently. Not sure if this is a channel issue, v185 issue or other channels are affected.

The skip to live bug is still evident when watching a show that is recording. It occurs when the recording ends. The best way around the skip to live bug with buffered programming is to press the record button to create a recording. It may not totally eliminate skip to live but will avoid loss of content.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadman View Post
Found Diagnostics shortcuts under 'Bell TV' thread - cleared NVRAM and has worked for the past 2 hours - will update later today if it keeps working(I figure 12 hours is my test limit). BTW - also had to reset the remotes.

Thanks again for this forum!
Did this permanently resolve your rebooting issues. I just tried the same thing and have been okay for about 3 hours. I'm still very nervous though. My machine cycled about 4 or 5 times yesterday and required unplugging each time.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 02:31 PM
Rookie

I had freezing issues with V185 on my 9242.

My recordings would freeze randomly. when the freeze occured, I had to press the power button of 5 seconds and wait 3 other minutes for the whole reboot. Really annoying when you are watching a Stanley Cup game! I had to call Bell CSR twice. The first time, they told me to unplug power and SAT cables and reboot. it did not fix the problem.

On the second call, the CSR told me that software in my receiver (which is V185) had a bug when people were using an HDMI cable. He told me that they are working on the problem but have no release dates yet. He advised me to use component cable (red-blue-green) and use the composite stereo RCA cable for sound (red-white). Because Bell's signal is 720p, this cable is able to handle this without any image/signal loss on my 1080p TV.

It has been 1 week since and I have no more freezes. Before, it use to freeze at least once a day... and sometimes up to 5 time!

Hopefully, this can help other people with the same problem as me.
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy0 View Post
I had freezing issues with V185 on my 9242.

...the CSR told me that software in my receiver (which is V185) had a bug when people were using an HDMI cable. He told me that they are working on the problem but have no release dates yet. He advised me to use component cable (red-blue-green) and use the composite stereo RCA cable for sound (red-white).
I must've called BELL 10x regarding the rebooting issue, not once did they mention an HDMI compatibility issue though. Just goes to show the wide range of answers you can get. One agent told me to cover the front of my receiver in tin foil and that would "for sure" fix the problem. haha.

If mine ever reboots again, I'll have to try the component, although I do notice a mild degrading of the video when going from HDMI (pure digital) to component (partly analog). Also, V186 is out, yet some people are still reporting reboot problems with that firmware. It would be nice if they released the details of all firmware upgrades like almost every other company does. They should also have a "service status" webpage to post current problems if there are any. If they want to save money, those would be a couple ways.
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-05-17, 02:04 PM
Rookie

I made a mistake in my previous post. the problem I was talking only happens on V186, not V185

I can confirm that switching to component cables fixed the issue... 2 weeks now without a freeze.

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware , hd pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in