9242: Firmware update V185 (Feb 03, 2010) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-06, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
...but they broke things that even some rudimentary testing should have caught. I'm glad we're getting updates to the software, but they need to test it properly. Also remember we get these updates long after Echostar releases them on basically the same hardware in the US, so they have few excuses.

-Mike
If Bell didn't take a few risks here and there, we'd probably end up like Shaw Direct customers. Updates have been promised for years, but they have been continuously delayed in testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 11:42 AM
Veteran

Accessing the EHD is definitely faster with grouping turned on. Deleting is as slow as ever though. That's not surprising considering the size of HD programming files.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 11:54 AM

I don't seem to get the audio drops in HD programming anymore (fingers crossed).

One thing I haven't been able to verify is if when running UHF on tuner 2, and the unit is recording (I think that was the trigger), if the video drops from tuner 2. I ended up switching to single tuner mode a while ago as this drove me nuts.....

As for the IR, 99% of the time it's just a module that has an IR detector/demodulator in it, you apply +5V/GND and it has an output. So I'm with 57 thinking that's intersting that they can control gain. Mind you, they probably don't use a module, and everything is done in their processor.

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 06:35 PM

It would be nice if they had left the EHD access fix; it's painfully slow again to access the PVR menu when the EHD needs to boot up.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 09:07 PM
Rookie

We had our box exchanged by Bell and the new one came with the V185 on it. Seems ok now but I wish that they had just admitted the problem in the first place!!!
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 01:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywalk View Post
It would be nice if they had left the EHD access fix; it's painfully slow again to access the PVR menu when the EHD needs to boot up.
Agreed I found myself plugging & unplugging the ehd at will now.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 03:02 PM
Rookie

"That really puzzles me. If this software is released long in the USA before we get it, how come it contains bugs? By the time we get it there should be no incidents."

one thing to remember is that Echostar is using a much newer, more capable satellites than the nimiq satellite being used by Bell. Therefore, you can't completley compare the 2 when not all of the technology is apples to apples. Also, customer satisfaction is very important to usa companies when there is such competition between them and would not get away with treating their customers the way bell does. Otherwise your question is very valid.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Have V185, have phone line plugged in, have Ethernet plugged in

I have V185, phone line plugged in back, and Ethernet plugged in back of my 9242. Question I am trying to figure out is, difference or advantage of having the Ethernet plugged in, compared to just the phone line.

Thanks...

love this forum btw, as stopped calling BELL TV CSR as turning system off and on, never solved anything, and my usuage, and from reading all the forum posts in here, most people usuage as well, way beyond what the CSR people are trained in. So great to have this, and people like DrewSat answering for BELL TV.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerizfood View Post
one thing to remember is that Echostar is using a much newer, more capable satellites than the nimiq satellite being used by Bell. Therefore, you can't completley compare the 2 when not all of the technology is apples to apples. Also, customer satisfaction is very important to usa companies when there is such competition between them and would not get away with treating their customers the way bell does. Otherwise your question is very valid.
Satellites have nothing to do with receiver reliability, and Nimiq 4 is newer than just about anything in the Dish satellite fleet. Bell uses exactly the same hardware as Dish, and I'm sure they're both maintained by same people. That's why I say there was no excuse for this.

I am getting frustrated with this delay when I hit the PVR button. I'm never sure if I hit it or not. I might have to shut off my EHD.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Yes I keep my ehd off now unless I want to use it. I don't know why they did that.
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-08, 10:58 PM
Rookie

9242 PVR Black Screen

Recorded our usual House episode. When we went to watch it the menu showed that the program had recorded but all we got was a black screen. I went to record another program just to check if it was an issue and all I got was a black screen. Anyone have any ideas or has anyone had similar problems ?

Thanks
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-09, 09:07 AM
Veteran

I would reset the receiver and see if it still happens.
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-09, 07:43 PM
Rookie

remote delay

there seems to be a delay when pressing buttons on remote.This seems to be a new problem as there was never any delayed reaction after a button was pressed.Seems noticeable when fast foward and then press play.Anyone else experience this annoying issue?
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 08:59 AM
Veteran

EHD Delay

I have a big delay, 6 seconds, whenever i press the PVR button. It used to be fast and only slow when i went to the EHD, now i have the delay All the time when going to the internal drive. This delay started with v184 and didn't get fixed with v185.
Is there any way around this? Any help would be appreciated. HP SimpleSave 1TB.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
I have a big delay, 6 seconds, whenever i press the PVR button. It used to be fast and only slow when i went to the EHD, now i have the delay All the time when going to the internal drive. This delay started with v184 and didn't get fixed with v185.
Is there any way around this? Any help would be appreciated. HP SimpleSave 1TB.
As mentioned in prevous posts in this thread, disconnecting the EHD solves the problem.

Last edited by waterug; 2010-02-10 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware , hd pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in