I'm so glad I found this forum - I had been pulling my hair out thinking I had a lose cable / bad remote / hardware. I event went so far as to update my TV firmware and try to tweak any conceivable receiver/tv/pvr settings.
Reluncantly, I just got off the phone with Bell TV expecting an Indian accent and nothing to be done or said about the issue. The first thing I said is that I noticed there was a firmware update pushed over the last couple days and that since then that my receiver has been going haywire. She immediately put me on hold and came back apologizing, suggesting I try the following which I have yet to try, nor do I think will solve the issue.
Unplug the receiver's power and SAT feed/connections
Leave it powered off for an hour or two
Plug only the power back in
Leave it off for another hour or two
Plug in the existing SAT feed/connections
I've had the same/similar issues as others reported, primarily my issues arise when I try to power on the receiver, i've noticed random and repeated key entries (that I did not press keys for), and it it looks like its continually trying to power cycle (LEDs flash on/off continuously), because it flips between viewing the channel itself and the channel info popup/dialogue when I first turn on the unit. I had also removed the UHF antenna long before this problem so that there would be less or no interference from 'neighbours' uhf remotes.
Somehow after several attempts of doing random things (such as powering off my receiver, letting the 9242 sit for a while, switching inputs on my receiver, turning tv on/off, holding the power button for 5 sec to reset pvr, etc) it will work fine until I've turned the unit off and go to use it again the next time.
I purchased my 9242 over 12 months ago and was working perfectly until V184 firmware. The bell support rep told me that the issue was 'known' and that they were working to push a fix, when I asked for a timeframe I was told within the next day (that I'm doubtful of).
If it persists too long I will insist bell send me a replacement since my unit was not defective before V184 was pushed down.
I see no method of blocking updates at all in this receiver.
I smell a class action if this does not get fixed, bell breaking perfectly good hardware and all.
BTW: It's not a defective IR remote issue, I have 3 different remotes both programmable and with IR learning all exhibit the same issue. Also, I've used just the power button on the front of the unit, as well as the power buttons for my TV/Receiver so I know for certain its not due to rogue UHF singals or a bad remote.
Last edited by crusader9; 2010-01-24 at 12:18 AM.