9242: Firmware update V184 (Jan 19, 2010) Please read post 1 for IR Spray Issue - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

CrazyCdn, hard drives need more power than an optical mouse or keyboard. The need for a drive with a separate power supply has been discussed on many other threads so lets keep the discussion focused on the update please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 12:23 PM
Veteran

I didn't notice this thread until today, so I don't know whether or not our 9242 has gotten the new firmware. Based on other member's reports of problems with interactive features, I suspect it might have as this morning while trying to access the PVR Recording List, twice it started loading an interactive app. I just hit Guide button to restore.

I do like the fact that it will now accept a 1.5 TB EHD. I had an old PATA enclosure I was going to use but the cost of a 750 GB PATA drives don't make sense. Now that that the 9242 will take the larger EHD drives, I will ditch the idea of using the PATA enclosure and go straight to a 1.5 TB SATA with a new enclosure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhoo View Post
I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.
With regards to freeing up satellite bandwidth vs. internet, it might be good for Bell, but not for the consumer. Why would I want to do this? I pay for my bandwidth, the content I get from Bell via satellite is likely going to be better quality than any internet delivered content, and as a 9242 owner I already can watch the content whenever I want. If I miss the show completely, as suggested there are other ways of getting the content, which likely won't have forced commercials (which is also a possibility as Bell has to pay for the bandwidth on their end).

As for the 9242 getting the update, I suspect there will be software updates rolling out for the 9241 shortly as well. Just because the 9242 is discontinued doesn't mean that owners are going to ditch them - IMHO there isn't a better stb for DTH right now in Canada.

cheers.
post #33 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 01:05 PM

Just would like to clarify a few things:

The Channels on Demand interactive feature has been available since 2006 or so. The Self-Serve menu simply allows you to access that application and the iTV home page from a central location.

A software upgrade has also been sent out to some 9241s enabling the ethernet connection for PPV purchases, HomeComm, and EHD support. All 9241s will be upgraded by end of week as well.

post #34 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 02:31 PM

What is HomeComm?
post #35 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 03:41 PM

This morning one of my 9242's began displaying the screen "Boot Recovery" which keeps cycling. Could this have anything to do with the upgrade? I found the thread dated 2008-03-19 which indicated that meant the receiver was toast and gave a reference by Hugh to another thread which I can't follow since it takes me to the main Digital Forum page. However, someone on this thread mentioned his reciever had crashed and he did a hard reboot which recovered it. I'm not sure how to do a hard reboot(is the term hard reset?) and can't find it through the search. Might this work and how do I do it?

Last edited by ronsnbrd; 2010-01-21 at 05:52 PM. Reason: additional information
post #36 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it.
Doing a reboot after a firmware upgrade should be standard practice. I wouldn't expect any device to operate properly after a firmware upgrade and no reboot, though some might. Cashed code and data can often be in the wrong location or become invalid after an upgrade to a running application. After all, these are not fault tolerant or high availability devices we are dealing with here.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #37 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 05:11 PM

My 9241 already updated to V233 (or V234?), with all the new menu options. Guess I got to go buy a 30 foot ethernet cable now, so I can plug it in to my router.

What is HomeComm, does it allow all the receivers to communicate to each other, what for?
post #38 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Diamond View Post
What is HomeComm?
I suspect it is the same as DishCOMM

http://www.dishuser.org/dishcomm.php
post #39 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 07:24 PM

Awesome that's just what I needed. I have a 9241 in the upstairs living room that I am unable to run a phone line to.
Best firmware upgrade ever.
post #40 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 08:49 PM
Rookie

My remote doesn't work properly since the update, everytime i press a button once it double clicks, its pretty annoying. Its not the remote either because my harmony does the same thing.
post #41 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:35 PM

What i'd like to see with an IP connection now is to be able to access recordings 6131 from my 9242,, now that would be sweet.. DLNA would be cool too but who knows how many customers would call bell asking how to do it..

Samsung UN65MU8000|Elite VSX-43|PolkAudio RC80i|Velodyne VDR-12
Samsung UN55KU6290
LG 55LE5500
post #42 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Please lets stick to discussing the firmware update and issues and not wish lists.

post #43 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
Drewsat, do you think this update does anything to fix the digital audio dropout problem?
Bell CSR's are telling me to use the analog, but i paid over 500 bucks for a digital sat rcvr, advertised to have Dolby 5.1
Dolby should be on somebodys case, cause he's getting a really bad reputation.....
Tom...was Drewsat able to assist with this problem...as I have the dropout issue as well.
post #44 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 08:36 AM

@dm_4u: Tom passed on a well detailed description of his problem. I'm working with our team here to investigate it further in the lab.
post #45 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
My remote doesn't work properly since the update, everytime i press a button once it double clicks, its pretty annoying. Its not the remote either because my harmony does the same thing.
Mine also. The unit goes berserk at the slightest provocation. My wife was watching a recorded show and it started randomly skipping back and forward even though she had not touched the remote. Now Bell is telling her there was no update pushed out.

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware , hd pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in