9242: Firmware update V184 (Jan 19, 2010) Please read post 1 for IR Spray Issue - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 05:38 PM

Two more changes I forgot to include:

The Recordings list is now under a Multimedia menu found in the Main Menu.

The receivers should support external hard drives up to 1.5TB. The usual requirements still apply: USB 2.0, self-powered, 7200 RPM, no power saving shut-down, etc.

The latter might be welcome news to external hard drive enthusiasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 06:18 PM

I see my 9242 is still 183...how can I force the update?
post #18 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 06:20 PM
Veteran

You just wait for it. They don't send it out to all the receivers at once.

post #19 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 06:43 PM
Rookie

I am really hoping for a fix to the audio dropouts that many have experienced when watching recorded HD material via HDMI. Fingers are crossed.
post #20 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Mine is still at V183 too. I don't suppose they added the "grouping" feature to the EHD, like the internal disk can do (where you group like programs into folders)?

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #21 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The receivers should support external hard drives up to 1.5TB.
More good news. The price of drives is so low now, I am going to pick up a new one!

Thanks again for the updates, DrewSat.

Jason.
post #22 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 10:10 PM

I'll be making use of the broadband connection for sure. I haven't had a landline for years. The 1.5TB option is interesting too.

Agree with the other posters that hope this will resolve the audio dropout issue with recorded material. It really is annoying. Happy to PM you my setup info if you want it, Drew.
post #23 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 09:17 AM

Quote:
if folks don't have a phone line to their receiver, what makes you think they are going to have an ethernet connection at their box.
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.

On the other hand, I don't have any phone jack. When I order PPV, I always have to connect a long telephone cable temporarily from another room.

So for me it is great.
post #24 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
Mine is still at V183 too. I don't suppose they added the "grouping" feature to the EHD, like the internal disk can do (where you group like programs into folders)?

-Mike
Yes, i now have grouping on the EXT HD. Best feature about the firmware update that I can find!!

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #25 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.
I don't know where you hang out but how many living rooms do you go into that have an HTPC hooked up to an HDTV?

post #26 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:22 AM

NOw the the enternet connection is working for something, they can work on getting a lot of cool features.

Here is my wish list:

- I would love to be able to watch tv on my PC via the network. Or even watch files from the PC using the 9242 on the TV.

- Connect to 9242 and change my PRV schedule.

- Be able to edit the saved shows Titles and info via the PC and using a keyboard.

- Or even add apps to the box so that things like MSN messenger or facebook and be done from the TV using the remote. Or even check your e-mail. Things like this added to Bell would let them sell themselves as more then just TV but a full entertainment package.

OOO think of the options...
post #27 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
Yes, i now have grouping on the EXT HD. Best feature about the firmware update that I can find!!
Awesome! Should make managing the bigger disks much better.

The new IP features should open the door to online PVR scheduling, which I think Dish does now.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #28 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 11:28 AM
Zak

I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it. One thing that I did notice was when deleting programs from the internal drive some of the deletes were much faster while others were considerably longer. This was with a series of 60 minute shows.

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
post #29 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 11:40 AM

Internet distribution of on demand programs?

I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.
post #30 of 266 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 11:51 AM

Not sure I see the point of this update for me. I don't have a phone line near my receiver and certainly don't feel inclined to string a network cable to my receiver when my PS3 and Wii are networked wirelessly.

Also, why no love for external hdd's that don't require external power? Like I don't have enough things plugged around my entertainment unit already?

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier

Tags
9242 , bell tv , firmware , hd pvr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in