External Hard Drive Discussions - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 75 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1111 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2018-09-21, 09:40 AM
Rookie

Allen I did that many times, but the SW status says always V 342, does that sound like the latest update? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2018-09-21, 02:17 PM

Current software on 9242 is v342.
post #1113 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2018-11-12, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Question eHDD works on 9241 but not on 9400

i am replacing my 9241 with a new 9400, but the eHDD is not recognized with the new PVR. I get the message : "to manage bell tv recordings on your external hard drive this feature must be activated" and to call bell. (the 9241 and 9400 are on same account still both activated)

This is apparently a common problem, but no one has given an answer other then to call bell and some posts would say bell does not know what we are talking about.

Anyway to make it work without calling bell?

Last edited by badger17; 2018-11-13 at 08:01 AM. Reason: needed to specify it was an EXTERNAL drive

post #1114 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2019-07-07, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Anyone seen this message before?

"to activate the tv PVR feature on your external hard drive please call 1888 skydish."

Tried a new external HD and getting the same thing. Was working fine before. 6131 receiver with sw21 switch.
post #1115 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 09:43 AM
Rookie

I have had a 6131 at my last house for around 5 years working with an external Hdd that I bought. It is a western digital mybook essentials drive. We moved about 2 months ago and I finally had time to get the dish reinstalled and working again. When I went to start the drive up again, I received an error message that the drive is not within the size limits. I know the drive is actually 3Tb (I am going by memory on this), but it has always worked fine with the system. Anyone know why this would change or happen?
Ok here’s an update - I checked the size of the drive... it is 2Tb not 3Tb. That makes things even more strange...
post #1116 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 12:46 PM
Veteran

This is normal behaviour for a Dish receiver from the US. If it's a Bell receiver, it sounds like Dish firmware might have been accidentally downloaded or someone at Bell messed up a firmware update. Dish supplies Bell with hardware and firmware for its receivers. Dish has different policies for PVRs and charges extra for PVR features. At one time it was possible to point a Bell receiver at a Dish satellite and download Dish firmware. That has not been possible for many years. It's also possible that someone at Bell or some other event flipped a switch that enables and disables the external drive PVR feature. I would call Bell to get it enabled again.
post #1117 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2019-12-02, 10:59 AM
Rookie

seek recommendations for EHD for 9400 pvr

can anyone recommend a known modern external hard disk compatible with the 9400 pvr. According to bell it must be 7200 RPM and no sleep mode.

I have a 1 Tb verbatim model SNSUF1TB which works fine on my old 9241 but is not recognized by the 9400; bell says it must not be compatible, they do not see any other reason why it would not work, (I can't access it at all, I get the message to call 888-SKY-DISH to activate) i don't know exactly why, so I'll try buying another.

I would prefer the maximum size 2 Tb.
post #1118 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 11:54 AM
Rookie

seek recommendations for EHD for 9400 pvr

The ideal solution would be to get my EHD that works fine on the old 9241 to work on my 9400. The 9241 is intermittently defective, can't access the internal hard drive at times and all those recordings are lost. I tried getting it repaired without luck. So now I use 2 different 9400 receivers. The newest one, a few months old does recognize the EHD, but the older 9400 does not; this needs to be corrected. Any idea how this can be done?

As part of my troubleshooting, I tried connecting a old 80G maxtor EHD to the old 9400 receiver. It was re-formatted from windows to bell (linux?) and then I get the message to call 888-sky-dish to activate. Bell says there is nothing they can do to activate, it is simply "plug and play" and it should work. And yet this old EHD works fine on both the old 9241 and the newest 9400. (all my receivers are on the same account)

If the EHD works fine on one 9400 shouldn't it also work on the other?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in