External Hard Drive Discussions - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2009-10-30, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
Well not quite. The 6131 is a single tuner so you cannot record a show, whilst watching another, that magic is reserved for the Dual Tuner models.
True but at least you can watch a recording while recording another show. With so many repeats for different time zones I myself would never need two tuners. Of course if you are into multiple sports telecasts then I can see a benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 12:15 PM

External 1TB HD in hours ?

Hey, just hooked up a 1TB external hard drive to my 9242. It is showing 133 hours of storage for HD programs and 1000 for SD.

I realise I forgot to check if it is partitioned on the unit (the External Hard drive) . To take the unit out from the enterainment centre and all the wiring through conduits and move it to a computer will have to wait as it's a chore. But hopefully I can get answers here.. does that sound like the full glory on what a 1Tb can provide ?

I can't believe I forgot to check :-(

Cord Cutter -> OTA: Clearstream C2V, Channel Master 3414,
Stream -> Apple TV, Chromecasts , Android box.

Last edited by Sleeping Wolf; 2010-01-04 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding info
post #33 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 12:18 PM

Yes 133 hours of HD capacity is correct.

post #34 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 12:18 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
IIRC the internal is a 320GB @ 25 hours (HD) so it sounds right.
post #35 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 12:22 PM

Wow , Fast responses !

Thanks !

Good to know. I had heard of some of these drives being partioned or actually having 2 physical drives inside so this alleviates things.

I had wanted to add this drive a long time.. took a great boxing day deal to make it happen.

Cord Cutter -> OTA: Clearstream C2V, Channel Master 3414,
Stream -> Apple TV, Chromecasts , Android box.
post #36 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-09, 01:57 PM

External HD question

Hi all. I am a new member. I've had my 9241 PVR for about 6 months now and am really enjoying it.

I've just spent the last hour doing a search but can't find the answer to what I thought would be a simple question. Everyone seems to want to add an External Hard Drive so they can supplement the size of their internal HD. Lots of info on that.

I want to do something different. Can I record movies off the internet onto an External HD and then play them on/thru the PVR via the USB port on the back? Is this possible? If so, what kind of problems might I have? Is there a special sequence to hooking it up or finding it in the menus?

Thanx for your help and this sure looks like a great site full of information and helpful members.

shmoky
post #37 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-09, 02:26 PM
Rookie

I don't thinks so. The PVR uses a unique video file format, and won't play other formats.

Hilts
post #38 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-09, 02:38 PM

Another option, if you are in the market for a Blu Ray player, is to get one with wireless internet streaming capabilities and 2 usb ports.

You could stream your movies from your computer onto your TV using wireless internet, or you could connect your external hard drive to it, and watch the movies that way.

I picked up a Samsung 3600 on boxing day, and it works great. I also have a 9242 with an external hard drive, so I get the best of both worlds (TV and Internet movies).
post #39 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 07:17 PM
Rookie

I have a 1tb Comstar HD hooked up to my 9242 receiver that gave me 133hrs HD or 1000hrs SD. It has worked perfectly for 10 months until I loaded it up to maximum capacity. After learning the hard way that it was not a good idea, I finally succeded in having some files deleted by a computer repair and everything is back to normal. Then I bought a 2tb WD My Book Essential, hoping to double the recording capacity. I got only 143hrs HD or 1080hrs SD. What an upgrade for 1tb more! Makes me wonder if its a matter of capacity ceiling or usable space on the HD. Before plugging the HD to my receiver, I plugged it to my computer and it said that there was 1.8tb available. Quite weird...
post #40 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 07:36 PM
Rookie

I believe you will find that Bell only ever listed 750Mb as the maximum size, so using your 1Tb was a bonus.
post #41 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 12:46 PM

FYI I am using a Seagate 1tb External Drive. At first had a few problems where it seemed to go to sleep every 15 min (even though the good boys at Future Shop said it had no sleep function). In that case I would always have to reboot as it didnt seem to wake up. So I plugged into my computer and used the Seagate Manager changed the sleep time to never and now its been working absolutely wonderful. So if anyone wants to buy that one it does work just have to change the sleep time and its very quiet!!
post #42 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 02:52 PM

Accidental disconnection of 6141 from EHD

I almost had a stroke!
While reconfiguring my 6141 and Denon AVR-590 for HDMI pass-through I accidently pulled out the USB cable connection to my EHD.
I immediately reconnected it and I got a message on the screen that my EHD was now connected and did I want to reboot.
My thought immediately was "I lost all my PVR contents and scheduling"!
I did not say "yes" and proceeded to immediately call Bell TV support.
I got a CSR within 1 minute and explained what I had done.
To my relief he said "no problem...you will not lose your contents".
He told me to do a hard shutoff of the receiver on the front panel.
I did so and when it came back on (about 2 minutes) he told me he had sent an activation signal.
Then he said "don't use the PVR function for about 20 minutes".
I followed his instructions for 30 minutes actually and my first indication that the PVR was working without loss of scheduling was it switched to the Daily Show automatically at 12:00 noon.
At this point I checked the PVR and all my recorded programs were there.
Quite a relief.

I usually unplug the receiver and then the EHD whenever I am working anywhere near it but I didn't do that this time.
I'll never make the same mistake again.
My wife was quite happy. (Happy wife...happy life).
post #43 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 09:15 PM
Rookie

My external hard drive is an 1TB Western Digital My Book Essential. I didn't know it had a sleep mode when I brought it but it seems to be working with my 6131 .

This particular hard drive has a light on it that indicates hard drive access. It is flashing every once in a while (3secs - 30secs) even though the receiver is "off." It is not even time for PVR recordings. Why is it doing that? Why does this receiver need to access the hard drive when the receiver is "off?"
post #44 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 11:47 PM
Rookie

As the 6131 has no internal HD, when you plug an external HD, it becomes part of the receiver. The receiver itself is constantly powered on even when it's turned off, unless you unplug it or use the power button on the front panel. When you shut it off with the remote, it only goes in a kind of sleeping mode. The receiver is always working, sleeping or receiving updates, so I guess it is normal that your receiver interacts constantly with your EHD.
post #45 of 1118 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 12:20 AM
Rookie

Unhappy Tests with a 2TB external hard drive.

I ran some more tests with the 2TB WD My Book Essential. I was surprised to have only 143hrs in HD or 1080hrs in SD (as opposed to 133hrs or 1000hrs with a 1TB) with the 9242. So I checked the partition with my computer. Once formated by the receiver, the disc was separated this way: 1gig, 500gig and 500gig formated and 900gig of free space. I reformated the EHD several times and it always ended up this way.

Then I tried it on a 6131 receiver. It began formating the EHD and a message appeared saying that the receiver could only use a EHD between 50gig and 1TB. There was no way to make the 2TB EHD work with the 6131.

By curiosity, I then tried the 2TB on a 9241. After formating, it gave me 143hrs in HD or 1075hrs in SD.

Bottom line, it seem like the 9242 and 9241 are programmed to use a maximum of 2 x 500gig on a EHD, leaving the rest of the disc untouched. In the case of the 6131, it would not even format it. This is my own experience with this particular WD 2TB hard drive, but I'd like to have details from people who succeded in using more than 1TB with their receiver.

BTW, after all those tests for science I'll try to get a refund for the 2TB that is absolutely useless to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in