My Bell 9242 is dead: What to do? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 02:29 AM
Rookie

Here's another one.. my 9242 pvr recordings list all just disappeared !!
All my wife's movies, all my kids cartoon shows and movies that my kids live by are all GONE !!! What a Disaster!!!
We started fresh and started recording again, been three weeks and it has just done it a second time !! all the recordings were deleted again!.. Tomorrow I have to call Bell. By the sounds of it they will just blow me smoke and give me a run around by the sounds of other posts here... No point in even trying to use the Bell Self-care chat or e-mail, I tried that before on a different problem, they are useless people on the other end trying to help you.. they do every thing but fix your problem or answer your question... Not impressed with Bell... I had local HD cable before.. what a mistake should of never made the switch to Bell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Are we talking the recording LIST or the actual recordings themselve's? If its only the list and not the recordings then you can do a check switch and the upcoming recordings will come back.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-24, 12:34 PM

I had the same thing happen to me once. I got a "hard drive is corrupt" message and then it said that all recordings will be erased

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 07:22 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackloz View Post
Are we talking the recording LIST or the actual recordings themselve's? If its only the list and not the recordings then you can do a check switch and the upcoming recordings will come back.
Huh? Surely you mean the timers, not the recordings. Recording = shows that have been recorded and saved to the HDD.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 07:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannella View Post
I had the same thing happen to me once. I got a "hard drive is corrupt" message and then it said that all recordings will be erased
This is to be expected. If drive corruption is detected, the PVR tries to recover and essentially reformats the drive to start over. The alternative is to just throw the error and not be able to use the HDD, which of course would be a worse option.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post
Huh? Surely you mean the timers, not the recordings. Recording = shows that have been recorded and saved to the HDD.
Thats exactly what I mean.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 10:04 PM
Rookie

9242 PVR Won't Power On

My 9242 PVR won't power on. We disconnected the unit when our tenant moved out in December and tried to reconnect it but now it won't even turn on.

Any suggestions you may have please.

Thank you for your help.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-04-16, 01:40 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up 9242 no power

I would suggest that the first thing you try is to do a front panel reset. Open up the front panel trap door on the right side and press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Even if you do start to get results make sure you keep pressing it for the full 20 seconds. Once the time is up, release the button and then wait, be patient, sometimes it will take a real minute or two before starting up.
Failing that, I would remove the lines from the dish and try the above again.
Good Luck
Terry
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-04-17, 12:58 AM
Rookie

Angry

Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't work. When I tried to get some support from Bell, they told me that it was just broken and sometimes, these receivers just lose the power!!! WHAT!?! I only bought it a year ago, but of course the warranty just ran out. She said they could fix it for $162, but they are on sale for $200 now, so why would I fix it.
Garbage equipment......going to find another provide who might actually know the meaning of customer service....have had enough of Bell. Very disappointed in this company and absolute crap equipment!!!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-04-17, 05:05 AM
Rookie

I think you will find that the $200 price is ONLY for new Customers so you will not qualify.

Most electronics have a 1 year warranty, you have exceded that so, by Bells thinking you must replce it. The replcement cost of $162, for a $499 receiver would appear to be a reasonable offer, or are you just going to dump everything because of this.? Your 9242 as it stands is worth $0.

You should reasearch an offering from Bell called "Dish Care", it would have covered you for replacement of your 9242, I would never be without "Dish Care".
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Repair 9242

My purchased 9242 has quit working after 23 months - diagnostic got me to reboot etc and I troubleshot with Bell technical to no avail - seems likely that the hard drive is defective. I live in Vancouver BC and want to keep the 9242 as my son has the other TV in his bedroom. Can anyone give me any advice as to where I might get this repaired? Many thanks
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 06:03 AM
Rookie

Try calling Bell, they offer an RMA replacement for $149, or if you are technically inclined, the Drive can be replaced but you MUST find the exact model. There are details of this procedure on this forum.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your help Pinza - Their tech support did not offer this when I tried to trouble shoot the 9242 on the phone but after reading your post i called the sales office and asked and eventually they offered a RTA for $149 + shipping of $13. I checked and they confirmed they were shipping a 9242 - so as a non-techie - that is the way that I am going. I am in BC and they also offered the Dishcare for $6/month so it looks as though that plan is now available here.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Glad to help out.

That is new, if Dish Care is now available out there, I will make enquiries myself, just to satisfy my curiosity.....lol
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 10:36 PM
Rookie

Yes - the CSR was new to the job - so it could be that he was mistaken about Dish Care in BC. But if it is available I will take it out when the warranty on the RTA unit expires which I presume is 12 months from now.

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in