9242 OTA Setup - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-18, 12:08 PM
Rookie

well... I probably am "stepping into it" now. Tried another attempt at bell help. Again, they know nothing about the feature even when walking them thru the menu displays. Then they offer to add the "locals" that are on the OTA to my service package. I had to explain to them that some of those "locals" aren't even on their "birds" so that isn't going to help. Then explained that OTA service is a good "compliment" service for rain / snow fade days (minutes) when the sat signal is "compromised" but that the OTA still works fine. Of course, then there was the "oh maybe your sat setup isn't very good, you need a tech to check it". :-) "No, it is fine."

Anyways, the "gambit" will be, is the replacement going to be better or worse than this receiver which was stable except for the OTA feature. Recording / play back / and "counters" were all good especially those wrt the hard drive. My fingers are crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-18, 01:00 PM
Veteran

You could always check the serial numbers on the drives to try and find out which is newer. Better yet would be to connect them to a computer and use smartctl or GSmartControl to check their condition and power on hours. Then keep the better drive. That could affect the warranty though.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Replacement receiver came in today. Hooked it (still waiting on service auth to come down) but also hooked up the OTA. Scanned channels, no rebooting, 15 channels go in... great!!!! The feature is a "cat's meow" as now we don't have to do "source switching" of AVR and TV to watch OTA / listen to sound, etc. Further, when tuning to those channels, you get a "signal level icon" which is very useful as I have a "rotator based" antenna that does get moved by heavy winds at times so I can now readily see when things have "drifted".
Happy wife, happy husband... :-)

I haven't looked at the counters yet in the diagnostic to compare to the other receiver but I will shortly.

Thanks for the comments / confirmations / help. They helped keep me going with Bell til I got some one who partially understood that the feature exists and should work.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 11:25 PM

You can also record OTA now.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-20, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Yes ... that's another great feature of this setup.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-20, 11:45 AM

Nice one....
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 06:09 PM
Rookie

well my latest 9242 lost its 2nd input... :-( Its still on warranty so Bell sent a replacement. I noticed on this latest replacement that the faceplate is different. This one has Bell "swirl" logo along with "written/slanted" numbering for the model number as opposed to the failed unit which has just "BELL" and the model is "block" numbered. Hopefully, this means the replacement is a newer version. It scanned in the local OTA channels with no problem so I am happy again. Hopefully this one lasts longer than 4 months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in