Replacing 9242 Hard Drive Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-02-22, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Replacing 9242 Hard Drive Discussion

Being that you can now add an external drive to the 9242 and other model receivers, can we change the internal drive to a larger one?

It would seem that adding the ability to attach an external drive would moot any reason to limit our ability to change the internal drive.

Alt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-02-22, 11:21 AM
Veteran

You can replace the internal disk, but whether it will work or actually format out any bigger than the factory disk, is not known. You might find a 500GB disk that works. You'll potentially void any warranty and/or DishCare by trying it and Bell isn't ever going to support that.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 06:38 PM

Highly recommend you don't try. I found a drive that almost had the same model number, and it was ano go. Ended up sending my 9200 in a nasty loop for a while, so I bought a 9242 to replace it, and then the 9200 finally came back to life.

They are VERY perticular about the drives that run in them. Otherwise you get an error since it's not 100% compatible (I'm talking you need to have the model number down to the letter).

post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I am asking about the 9242, not the 9200...completely two different recievers as one will take an external drive one will not!
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 05:07 PM
Rookie

It is the same answer, for any of Bell's PVR's. The model # is very critical.

The only one I know of where a larger drive can be used is the 5100/5800, which can take the same drive size as the 5900.
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Actually it's not in my opinion as the 9242 will accept the external drive whereas the 9200 will not. As you can use an external drive with the 9242 did Bell/dish remove the drive limitations hardcoded?

Alt
post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 08:02 PM
Rookie

I would doubt it very much, it will still need to be the same model.

Why would Bell remove that piece of code if they added the ability to use the USB port for another drive.?

Or put another way, why bother adding a larger drive internally, if you can use a 1Tb Externally.?
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 07:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaman View Post
It would seem that adding the ability to attach an external drive would moot any reason to limit our ability to change the internal drive.
You have to remember Bell does not want people playing around inside the receivers, so there is a valid reason for not making all drives supported. The hardware is tested with specific drives. THis is for basic operation. External drives use a completely different interface (USB) as opposed to eSata for internal. Drives are not created equal.

Would it be nice if you could swap drives as easily as in a PC? Yes, but a nightmare for Bell. I can't blame them on this one.
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 11:02 AM
Rookie

External HD and 9242

Read about questions re taking off backups fron ext hd via computer. Linux have a free sofgware that operates in windows and will allow you to access the files on the ext hd. http://www.diskinternals.com/download.shtml
post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 05:34 PM

I think the issue is the PVR doesn't use a typical file system, they do a bare write to the drive. In that case, because if differences between drives (speeds, cache, etc), they only allow "approved" units.

I played with the HDD in my 9200 and 9242, and like I mentioned above, I wouldn't do it again. One went down the yellow brick road pretty far, and it luckily self healed itself (it was stuck in a drive error detection screen for 1/2 day). And, once the drive is mounted in the PVR, they muck up some base drive bios settings that makes it no longer detectable by a PC's bios (the sleep mode or something).

So, like I said, wouldn't recommend it if your PVR is functioning. If the drive punks out, then play away, but I wouldn't risk it on a working PVR again. It seems pretty fickle.
post #11 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 06:16 PM
Veteran

I think on Yahoo Groups they talk about this. Just look at the info for the 622. As I recall, even putting in a larger drive that works correctly does not result in increased storage space. I think it will only use 320gb or whatever comes stock with the 622/9242.
post #12 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 06:48 PM
Veteran

I replaced a failed drive in my 9200 with one I found on eBay. I found it by Googling drives on the approved drive list. The alternative was paying more money for a refurb from Bell. The approved drive list is in this post. Most of these drives are very hard to find because they haven't been made in years. There may be other drives that will work but most won't.

Bell PVRs use an EXT3 file system that is readable with Linux. It uses proprietary encryption on the files so the programming is not directly usable outside of a Bell receiver. There was a program that made the files on the 5x00 PVRs viewable on a PC. Don't know if that is possible with later models.
post #13 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-11, 07:26 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Most of these drives are very hard to find because they haven't been made in years.
Actually, most were OEM production runs so were not generally available to the public, just manufacturer (OEMs). It wasn't so much that they haven't been made for years, although that too is partly a reason they are rare. It was easy for the HDD vendor to simply change the model number designation (a single character change is all that was required) to deisgnate consumer vs OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I think the issue is the PVR doesn't use a typical file system, they do a bare write to the drive.
Depends on what you mean by "typical" :-) The file system as mentioned above is a standard Linux FS which can be easily accessed (and it doesn't do a "bare write". The issue is that the file are encrypted and/or encoded in a way that does not make they "playable" by a typical media player.
post #14 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 07:19 PM

Internal Hard Disk Failure

I've been having increasingly worse problems with my hard drive features. Randomly, my recorded shows list will not display, or the pause/rewind features will not work... I'll get, "cannot acquire program guide information" when I hit "RECORD" on a certain block.

I'm just wondering if others have had a similar problem. Since the hard drive is SATA, I'm wondering if it marries to the receiver, or if I can just simply purchase a new 500GB SATA drive and put it in as an upgraded replacement?

Anybody have thoughts? I read one post which says the drive must be from an approved drives list, but I someone else told me basically any SATA drive will work.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Bell obviously wants to jerk you around and charge $499 for a 9241 or $169 for a refurb... yay for BELL, I think I'll fix it myself.
post #15 of 191 (permalink) Old 2009-07-12, 03:38 PM

9241, kijiji, error 311, stolen hard drive...what a story!

My little story begins with my wish to leave Rogers (again) and go back to Bell. I found on Kijiji an ad for a brand new 9241 never activated for half what I would pay buying through Bell. I request the receiver numbers to confirm with Bell. He provides them. I call Bell and they confirm the receiver has never been activated. Cool! I buy the receiver from him.

I plug it in and to my surprise...I get every channel! I mean everything (minus PPV). So I am shocked cause Bell say's it's not in their system...It looked like it had been setup...perfect condition...but little things like cord wrapped up differently, UHF antenna already screwed in etc.

So, then I keep getting error 311 and 024...won't let me access the hard drive. Follow the great steps in this forum to access diagnostics...do a hard drive test...it fails....reboots and now is stuck with flashing red light and won't turn on. So I pull cover off...and another big surprise...completely missing hard drive!!!!!

So I have been screwed! hahaha what a story...so, who's got that list of approved drives so I can replace the drive and be back in business?

Sony Bravia |Bell 9241w/1TB EHD | Rogers Home Phone/Extreme Internet | Sirius Radio | XBOX360,PS3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in