Bell TV 9241 HD PVR discussion thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 09:53 AM

Just picked up a 9241 this past weekend, love it. No real complaints but did notice one quirk.

I'll be PVR'ing a show and watch the show a few minutes delayed. I'll try and skip through the commercials quickly (30-seconds forward) and the odd time the picture will freeze and the PVR isn't responsive. It'll eventually "unstick" itself after maybe 5-10 seconds. I'll continue to watch then notice that the 5-10 seconds where the PVR was stuck, the same 5-10 seconds is missing from the show. I'm guessing when the PVR was stuck, it's not recording the show also. I think I seen the same thing when I was watching a recorded show also but need to confirm this.

Anybody see this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 12:05 PM
Rookie

choppy audio

I just got a new 9241 hooked up. I'm having trouble with the digital audio output (toslink). I used the cable that was hooked up to my PS3 and had no issues. I double checked the cable again using the PS3 and it was fine as well. The receiver doesn't show the signal dropping in and out so I don't think there's any connection issue. My problem is that the sound is ok for a couple minutes, then will constantly "pop" and it sounds horrible like its going in and out. Once in a while the sound will come back in, then continue its problems and continue the cycle. Is my receiver a dud?
post #33 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 05:40 PM

I've noticed the same issue as you Tanner but I chalk it down to a buggy initial software release. IIRC both the 9200 and 9242 had similar quirks about the recording when they first came out, which were fixed by later firmware upgrades.

post #34 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 08:26 PM

Thanks Gimli, ruling out hardware issue since you experienced the same thing. Hopefully a future firmware will address this.
post #35 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 09:58 PM

Tanner,

I have also noticed the same issue on my new 9241. I experienced it trying to replay something during the Superbowl so you can imagine the reaction I had from all of the guests when the game froze. I had a 9242 that broke and was replaced with this 9241. I never had that issue come up with the 9242 so I'm hoping this is just a software issue.
post #36 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-05, 12:38 AM
jdd
Rookie

Dual Recording - live tv

Is anyone able to record an existing program after it's already started, then tune into a second program while the first is recording? For some reason, my receiver isn't allowing me to do this. I get error 324 - recording in progress. I can however successfully record 2 future events simoultaneously.
post #37 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-05, 12:47 PM

I also experience the freeze once in a while, usually when pressing the skip button repeatedly. Just have to let it sit for a bit and it comes back, which is a pain because I was skipping so I wouldn't have to wait...
post #38 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 01:58 PM

I've been using my 9241 for a week now, and I have some observations:

1) Like Tanner and others have reported, the 9241 will occasionally freeze for anywhere from several seconds to a minute or more. Once or twice my 9241 froze long enough that I had to power it off then on to bring it back to life. Hopefully a software update will fix this.

2) One of my scheduled recordings on a HD channel did not work. The scheduled timer reported "signal loss detected", which is strange since the sky was clear and cloudless at the time.

3) This may be a cabling issue, but I've noticed that the 9241's "up converting" of SD programming to HD output leaves something to be desired. There is a slight but noticeable degradation of picture quality from the HD component output verses the same programming on S-video. I have new cables on order, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

4) The HD video from HD channels is very impressive. No complaints there!

Paul
post #39 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 02:08 PM
Rookie

These 9241's are certainly a little odd to say the least.

Just played with and activated 7 of them this morning, all acted the same;

Signal level was in low 60%, straight from the Box.
All showed DP equipment in Check Switch Screen.
All showed 119 Sat in Point Dish Screen, with Bell 91 showing wrong Sat.
All of them had Remotes that would NOT work the receivers, all needed new address's.

All were pretty slow to respond to any Remote functions.
After downloading firmware, Signal level jumped to low 90's.
Most took 3 or more Check Switch to show the actual switch's installed.

Only 1 worked as I would expect as soon as it was downloaded.

I hope this was just an odd batch, this would be so frustrating for an installer, day after day.
post #40 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 04:09 PM

Angry UHF remote Control of 9241 with 5900's remote

I have a brand new 9241 PVR - - the old style outputs (Video-Left-Right) of which I have modulated in our family room where the PVR is located onto a Channel 3 RF carrier for delivery to our bedroom TV upstairs via cable.

To my surprise and disappointment, the silver remote we have been using with our now retired Model 5900 WILL control the Model 9241 via infrared but can't be used in our bedroom because the UHF RF side is not communicating with the new PVR.

I figure it must be an RF channelization issue - i.e. the 9241 is "listening" on a UHF channel other than the one used by the 5900.

Is there any way to positively diagnose if my hunch is right and more importantly does anyone now a hack or whatever that would enable me to get the 5900's remote talking via UHF to the new PVR ?
post #41 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bryan View Post
Is there any way to positively diagnose if my hunch is right and more importantly does anyone now a hack or whatever that would enable me to get the 5900's remote talking via UHF to the new PVR ?
Have you made sure that the remote is at the same UHF remote address as the receiver?

From the info window on the receiver (menu-6-1-3 IIRC) check the address and band for the UHF remote and set your remote to use the same. Alternately while on the info screen, you can press the "record" button on the UHF remote to change the configuration of the receiver but be careful with that because if you have another receiver that this remote controls they will now both be listening to the same band/channel.
post #42 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-07, 08:34 AM

Question 5900's remote not UHF frequency adjustable

Helpful suggestion and I will try this once more.

However,......While more recent Bell/Dish Network remotes seem to have "A/B" switches to change UHF transmit frequencies, the older style silver remote supplied originally to us with the 5900 PVR does not seem UHF ch adjustable.

Since this older silver remote already talks fine to the 9241 via infrared, I would assume it's address is the same as that at which the 9241 is watching for BOTH UHF and infrared signals.

I still suspect the remote's UHF TX channel is different and am still looking for a hack to change it.........gotta be a way ???? No ? Yes ????
post #43 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-07, 09:52 AM
Rookie

There is no need to "hack" anything. Just simply change the Remote Address, an easy procedure that allows for 16 different codes.

Whilst on the System Info screen, as described above, MENU, 6, 1, 3.
Press and hold the SAT button, all lights will flash. Let go of SAT button.
Then enter the code you want, from 01 to 16.
Press the # Button.
If the code you entered is valid the SAT button will flash 3 times.
post #44 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-07, 10:14 AM

Quote:
However,......While more recent Bell/Dish Network remotes seem to have "A/B" switches to change UHF transmit frequencies, the older style silver remote supplied originally to us with the 5900 PVR does not seem UHF ch adjustable.
That "A/B" setting is what I (and Bell) referred to as the band. Even if you can't change the band setting on the remote you still have to make sure the receiver is programmed to use the proper band using the procedure I posted previously.

Quote:
Since this older silver remote already talks fine to the 9241 via infrared, I would assume it's address is the same as that at which the 9241 is watching for BOTH UHF and infrared signals.
The remote addresses between IR and UHF can and usually are different.
post #45 of 2605 (permalink) Old 2009-02-07, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
The remote addresses between IR and UHF can and usually are different.
When you set the address to say 15, with a UHF Remote, it sets BOTH IR & UHF to 15.

Tags
9241 , bell tv , belltv , hdcp , hdmi issue , ppv , pvr , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in