Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Big Brother Season 8 official thread

23K views 298 replies 34 participants last post by  mrhooie 
#1 ·
Well, Season 8 of Big Brother began last night on CBS.

More info: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother8/

The twist to start off this season is that 3 of the 14 house guests have previous relationships with someone in the house. Something else new this year is what they are calling "America's Player". This person's actions will be controlled by the wishes of America through voting on CBS's web site.

I'll admit that I've been a fan of the Big Brother franchise from the start. I'm a little skeptical about this season. It looks like they are trying to put together the "best looking group" possible. Not sure if this is Big Brother or "Real World".

Time will tell if they have an interesting dynamic that will keep viewers tuning in.

I'm liking the "Evil Dick" guy already. I think he'll make things interesting.

Cheers.

#55 ·
I'm surprised someone hasn't compiled a list of her "Jen" t-shirts. They are quite funny. "Jensa Member", "Jenuine", "Jenius", "Jenth Degree"...

I thought the guys were going to wear "Jenitals" t-shirts? What happened to that?

Next episode is tonight @ 9:00pm on CBS. PoV competition and results will be aired.

Cheers.

#60 ·
james99 said:
Usually the whole "cast" are actors or wannabe actors. Season 1 seems to be the only season to feature real people.
True. From what I've heard, Eric has been trying out for BB since Season 2. Some people seem to do a "reality show tour" and try to get on all the various reality shows. I know some people have appeared on several. Seems like it's a "job" for them. I'm curious how much these people get paid (if anything) while they're on the show.

Cheers.

#62 ·
I'm surprised she hasn't walked around in a t-shirt pushing her web site. Unless that's against BB rules. I know Dick was told he couldn't wear a certain t-shirt.

#64 ·
Results from tonight's show:
- America chose Jen to be the target of Eric's vandalism
- Eric "vandalized" Jen's stuff with mustard - task accomplished
- Jen "wins" the PoV, Dick actually gave it to her
- Jen uses the PoV and saves herself from nomination
- Dick puts Mike up on the block in place of Jen, as he promised during the PoV

Dick was wicked aggressive leading up to the PoV contest. He made his desire loud and clear - he wanted Kail gone from the house. It paid off - Kail was so rattled prior to the PoV competition, she dropped out right off the bat. Did he make himself look too strong? Is he going to be a huge target next week? I think he may have over-stepped it there.

Mike tried to show his "loyalty" to Kail but I think that just ended up putting a target on his back. Dick called him out and gave the PoV to Jen saying he'll put him up in her place.

Dick seemed to be real sensitive about people being in the HoH room when he was not there - especially Jen. I think Dick thinks he has total control of the house. It may seem that way now, but he better be careful. His "power trip" could alienate him.

During the PoV competition, Jen showed her "smarts" when she was talking with Dick. This girl is a gamer... she ain't dumb... she is going to be a threat later. Her conversation with "herself" was interesting.

Next episode goes Thursday at 8:00pm EST on CBS.

#65 ·
Check it out.... Jen is starting her climb up from house pariah. No surprise here.

Even Evil Dick can't resist her charm... did you see him smiling during the veto speech? She's (slowly) winning over the other players with a Ghandi-like passivity that's really endearing.

She handled the mustard hate crime with grace and didn't let it shake her. Meanwhile big tough Dick is self immolating.

Those that think Jen's a complete bubblehead - check out today's show and see if you still think that...

#66 ·
Usually the whole "cast" are actors or wannabe actors. Season 1 seems to be the only season to feature real people.
I dunno about everyone being actors, but they really seem to have let the % slide up to about 90%. Kail and a few of the others I think are non-actor types.

Eric wasn't giving off an actor-wannabe vibe, but he does seem a bit of a reality-show-contestant-wannabe. He's just so eager to please America. On today's show I noticed he was identified as 'Talent Management Assistant' which could mean he or the talent he assists works 2 blocks from Endemol productions in LA.

#67 ·
I agree Jen is more of a player than many would have given her credit for when the show started. The hot nanny. But considering the bad move she played when she lied and said Nick kissed her.....she's a bit messed up. And she has that physical hotness about her that other women always detest....guaranteed all other women will want her off the show. Jen won't last. Plus, she can't help but say what she thinks/feels....doesn't help. Dick will get screwed eventually for the same reason.

Usually, the winner is someone who you haven't even noticed on the show yet.

#69 ·
- Dick switched modes and set his sights on evicting Mike
- The house was in general agreement that Mike should go
- Eric attempted to convince the house that Kail should be booted to complete the "America's Player" task he was assigned
- Jen's friends say she is playing dumb and that she is a player
- Mike is evicted by a vote of 7-2, much to Kail's surprise
- Dustin is the new HoH

Did Eric throw himself out of the race near the end there? He was on fire for a while during the HoH competition. With Dustin as HoH, I think this will be a boring week. I think Dick is on to Jen's "act" as shown by the video of their conversation. New secret alliance?

Next episode is Sunday @ 8:00pm on CBS.

Cheers.

#72 ·
Anyone see todays Early show?? I thought it was weird that when Mike was talking to Julie she didn't mention Americas player, does this possibly mean something as far as Mike going back into the house? Hmmm will he be in sequester for a few rounds till a few people are booted and given the chance to go back in?

I love this show, been watching since season 1, had the live feeds every year they have been offered, the first they were free and every year after I have paid for them. Gotta say this show is getting good. I do like ED, and Eric, hope they both do well, Amber has to go I can't stand the whining and xrying from this gal.

Dionne

#73 ·
OK, finally found the early show episode of Mike and he definitely knows about Americas Player, so much for my thoughts of them sequestering players to go back into the house.

Dionne

#75 ·
- The house is trying to figure out who else voted for Kail
- ED wants to target Nick for eviction - thinks he's playing all sides
- Zach is freaking everyone out
- Amber is still crying too much
- ED got under Amber's skin regarding her love for her pet/kids
- Daniele and ED have a serious communication issue and a lot of hurt
- Food competition: Jameka and Jessica won - they are exempt from slop
- As winners, they appointed ED, Kail, Zach, Nick and Jen to be on slop.
- Kail is working hard to get on Dustin's side, offers to be a pawn
- Eric - America's Player - is tasked to get Jen nominated
- Amber's key was the first out of the case, SHOCKING!
- Dustin nominates Jen and Kail
- Kail thinks she's a pawn, but she's not, Dustin wants her going home.

I gotta say, Eric is pretty good at making cases for himself and swaying the group. Potential player? They better keep an eye on this guy. The topic of Jen's boobs came up. ED asker if she had a "job" but she neither confirmed nor denied it. ED assumed she did get one. ED seems to like to stir the sh@t a lot. Too much of that and he could be gone sooner than later. I was sure Amber was going to beg Dustin to put him up after he questioned her "love" for her pet vs her child.

Next episode is Tuesday night @ 9:00pm EST on CBS.

Cheers.

#77 ·
I had no idea everyone hated Zach so much - stupid editing...
It's amazing how much they can control how people "appear" with editing. Unless you're watching the live feeds or the after hours show, it's hard to tell what's really going on.

Cheers.

#78 ·
James (and others)

What are your impressions from the extra feeds you're watching?

Is ED a leader or a psychotic tyrant? Is Jen really the monster they are trying to paint her as on the thrice-a-week episodes?

I haven't seen any but my instinct is ED's worse than what we see and Jen is actually better liked than what they are showing. But it's true, the CBS shows only give a tiny controlled glimpse into the real happenings I'm sure.

Unfortunately, with America's Player being both privy to and controlled somewhat by public opinion, if that public is also being highly influenced and controlled by the show's producers, they can trigger almost anything they want to happen.

They make Jen seem like an egotistical maniac, so America constantly votes to have her get pranked or nominated or otherwise shafted by Eric. If she reacts even slightly to this unfair extra burden, they can air outtakes of her reaction and further influence the public perception.

They can pretty much promote or demote whomever they want to using this technique. She's overcome not only the housemates but the whole Big Brother propaganda machine. Even if she can't wiggle out of it this week, the fact she's held out this long is testament to her ability as a player.

I'm still betting she overcomes and wins over some people, but at this point it's her against the whole production setup.

#80 ·
- Dustin tells Kail he's gunning for Jen and not to worry.
- Jen is hurt that she's nominated again and cries about it.
- Jameka's religious beliefs are guiding her in the PoV competition.
- Evil and Jameka are at opposite ends of the religious spectrum.
- Dustin got greedy during the PoV and took the Barbados trip, and the $$$.
- Amber is still crying way too much. It's getting ridiculous. She's so clingy.
- Did Jen throw that last PoV question to ensure Jameka won the PoV? Hmmmm...
- Eric has to start a catch phrase - "I'd do that for a dollar."
- The "Late Night Crew" debates on who to choose between Nick and Zach since Jen will be saved by Jameka as promised
- Jameka saves Jen with the PoV and Dustin puts Nick up in her place

Naturally, Daniele is not happy about this. There seemed to be some confusion as to who the "LNC" group decided would go up. Kail seemed to think Dustin was going to put Zach up yet most people thought Nick was a bigger threat overall. Amber was none too pleased about Dustin's greedy side in the PoV competition. I guess he didn't really care to control the outcome and the group noticed that.

ED called out Jen in front of everyone saying that she threw the last PoV question on purpose. If she did, she played it brilliantly knowing that doing so would make Jameka the winner and that she would save her. ED sure is abrasive, but he hit the nail on the head - he said what everyone was thinking.

And I thought this would be a boring week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.