Canadian FTA Channels? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Canadian FTA Channels?

There are approximately 300 FTA channels available on the varies Sats - However the amount of Canadian channels I can count on 1 hand. With the amount of Our Tax Dollars being pumped into the CBC it would be only logical to think that Canadians have the right to have CBC channels Free-To-Air like that of PBS in the USA. Is this not a reasonable request ?

Perhaps a on-line petition should be started - if one does not exist ?

And Please - Don't tell me to start one !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 09:07 AM

CBC is available on OTA...
I don't know if I would want to subsidize CBC so they could broadcast an FTA channel, as it is already availalbe from EVERY provider, and OTA. The number of people this would benefit would be so small, I can't see it being worthwhile.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 10:41 AM

Not sure why they encrypted all there distribution, it was cool back in the analog days when it was all free. Now it does not really matter though, because CBC distribution uses Trellis 8PSK and you need probably around a 4.5 or 5 meter c-band dish to receive, larger being better.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

My point is that yours and my tax dollars already subsidize the CBC. Should it not be available to all canadians - (all CBC broadcast stations across Canada as well as newsworld) - we are paying for it anyway. And I am talking about a Ku Band transmission so it would be a little more accessible !
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDekkard View Post
My point is that yours and my tax dollars already subsidize the CBC. Should it not be available to all canadians - (all CBC broadcast stations across Canada as well as newsworld) - we are paying for it anyway. And I am talking about a Ku Band transmission so it would be a little more accessible !
What percentage of Canadians have KU band dishes?
10 thousand ? If that?
I don't know if it would cost more to make it accessible to all Canadians via KU band dishes, and if it would cost more money, I sure don't want to subsidize it, as it will only benefit a tiny % of the population.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 01:41 PM

Most large broadcasters in North America use C-band for distribution as for rain fade and other issues that cause problems with ku and ka band, I don't see switching to ku transmission being that good for them or the receive sites.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i hate tv View Post
What percentage of Canadians have KU band dishes?
10 thousand ? If that?
I don't know if it would cost more to make it accessible to all Canadians via KU band dishes, and if it would cost more money, I sure don't want to subsidize it, as it will only benefit a tiny % of the population.
If there is no or very little canadian content in FTA - what kind of viable alternative option is there to the Large cable and satellite companies ? OTA is not an option in areas where there is only 2 or 3 TV stations ? I'm looking for discussion that can further the Canadian FTA world - Right now it is almost non-existent ? Yes it exists only because of our American Freinds. FTA and OTA are the only non-subscriber option and OTA is very limited. If there was more choice - I think the percentage of Ku Band Dishes would increase as people see it as that alternative !

Last edited by WillDekkard; 2008-11-09 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Ku Alt
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 07:06 PM
Veteran

I've asked the question before and the issue seems to be that CBC does not carry just Canadian programming but also commercial programs for which other stations may have obtained broadcast rights in certain areas. For CBC to carry a FTA channel they would have to get rid of those programs (which also generate decent ad revenue) and offer exclusive CBC content.

PBS gets away with their FTA presence because all their shows are PBS-based in one form or another.

Having said that there is some Canadian FTA on C-band specifically The Weather Network and some ASN (sp?) channels.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-09, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanx mr weather for your reply - your explanation makes sense - however not too many canadians are going to jump out and get a 6 to 10 foot dish for a couple channels on C Band. If their were more choice on Ku Band more canadians may consider a 3 foot dish as an alternatetive to the establishment. The CRTC seems to like to regulate everything - yet they offer no guidence with canadian content when it comes to FTA ? Newsworld does not contain any foreign programming that I know of - as I see it it is all canadian like PBS is all US programming(mostly), so by that logic newsworld should be FTA ?
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 01:02 PM

I agree that there should be a free CBC satellite channel.

However, I dont think that it should cost any extra. As this channel could be available on Bell or Star Choice for nothing.

Read ya l8r,
Emerald_Boar

PS According to lyngsat there are like 15 free "Canadian channels"
http://lyngsat.com/freetv/Canada.html
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Fair enough but keep in mind some are C-band only and those listed as Digicipher 2 are not DVB and can only be received using Motorola equipment (a previously-activated Star Choice receiver, for example).
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 04:08 PM

I still don't get this argument. why bother setting up a sattilite dish for CBC when you can use a set of rabbit ears to get it?
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-13, 09:58 PM
Rookie

I guess it depends on if you want to watch a snowy picture or a clean crisp image from a Digital source.

Not everyone live in an area where CBC comes in strong on your "Rabbit Ears".
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

1 Billion Tax Dollars !

Yes that is 20 million dollars per week of Canadian taxes that go to fund the CBC. Yes we all pay for Newsworld twice - once for subscription and twice with the taxes we pay as Canadians. This figure does not include when say Health Canada pays an astronomical amount to advertise smoking increases the chance of getting cancer during the olympics ? What I am saying is the CBC is a public TV service and should be available to all canadians if we continue to pay for the CBC through our Tax Dollars. As a FTA enthusist - I would like it available on a Ku Band Sat. available to everyone, everywhere !

Last edited by WillDekkard; 2008-11-15 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 10:21 AM

I agree that CBC and the like should be free to all canadians. But I don't think you should be forced to put up another dish to get these channels, they should be beamed down unscrambled form BellTV or Starchoice satellites. I'm sure either provider wouldn't mind putting up a dish for us for free viewing and then bombarding us to to get some of the "pay" channels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in