Canadian FTA Channels? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 05:08 PM

It's good to see some of those CBC HD feeds, on free to air on Anik F1. They also have a number of CBC feeds that are still encrypted. I wonder why they would bother to do this, considering that there area already 5 open CBC HD channels. Wouldn't it suite them to just let them all be free for the taking, on C Band, since they've already started to liquidate a large number of over the air transmitters?

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i hate tv View Post
CBC is available on OTA...
I don't know if I would want to subsidize CBC so they could broadcast an FTA channel, as it is already availalbe from EVERY provider, and OTA. The number of people this would benefit would be so small, I can't see it being worthwhile.
What about those who live in Canada and aren't the priviledged who live in cities and get everything including the benefits of our tax dollars. If you live in the vastness of Canada there is no OTA television. Oh, I guess they can subscribe to some volture provided service. The government likes this. They get more taxes and their friends get rich.
post #63 of 91 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 08:59 PM
Veteran

currently you can watch CTV and CITY FTA on CBAND.
Other than that ur SOL as far as the big Canadian Networks go.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

post #64 of 91 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 08:35 AM

@ Dael--> I suggest you write to your local MNA on the issue. It seems the government would rather spend your hard earned tax dollars on leaky British subs, Sea-King chopters that takes more time to get from Halifax to Montreal than a Greyhound bus and Don Cherry's salary.

Cheers, K

PS- Its true about Greyhound buses

6 ft BUD, motorized 39" KU, S10, Viewsat Ultra, CM 4228, home made SBGH
post #65 of 91 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 03:16 PM

Sorry dael... Television is a privilege, not a charter guaranteed right.
If I choose to live in the middle of no where, of which I have from time to time, I also choose the pitfalls of no OTA television along with the benefits of where I choose to live.
post #66 of 91 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 09:45 PM

This is a great idea!

If the Dutch government can afford to have worldwide coverage of BVN TV "for the benefit of Dutch citizens living abroad" using 8 different satellites, I'm sure CBC can manage to find some space on one or more of the country's satellites.

I guess they kind of already have this with Shaw's LTSS system via Anik F1R and/or Anik F2... maybe this is why it hasn't expanded? LTSS sure is a well-kept secret, Shaw barely mentions it on their website. http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143941
post #67 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-06, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Hi I have free to air I need Canadian channels what I have to do thanks
post #68 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-06, 10:03 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Start by reading the stickies in this forum. If they're older, read the last few pages of each sticky and post 1 of the sticky in case of useful links.

Also, check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #69 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-08, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
This is a great idea!

If the Dutch government can afford to have worldwide coverage of BVN TV "for the benefit of Dutch citizens living abroad" using 8 different satellites, I'm sure CBC can manage to find some space on one or more of the country's satellites.
No offence, but do you even realize how much dutch people are taxed? A lot more than Canadians.

With that being said, CBC is being paid by taxpayers money so I think it should be available freely on FTA in Canada after they shut down all the OTA towers.
post #70 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-09, 09:28 PM

Wheelman -- One of my friends that I have known for roughly thirty years, had a wonderful career at the CBC in Sales and Marketing / Advertising.

With all do respect, I am not sure that you completely understand the CBC's business model. Taxpayer money -- not really?

He predicted over three years ago that once CBC lost Hockey Night in Canada, that their business model which has survived as a quasi-public television station all of these years had to change.

For him, it was just a question of "when" not "if". I doubt very much that you will see the CBC on FTA in its current format.

Best wishes.
post #71 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-09, 10:39 PM

How is CBC funded?
post #72 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-09, 11:01 PM

I too, was under the impression that CBC was publicly funded, even though it seems to act as if it doesn't need to be held accountable to said public for it's internal dealings.(FOIA denials) .
If not, then where do they actually get their finding??
post #73 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-10, 08:02 AM

Ask and you shall receive. From today's Canada News Wire Article on CBC.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1337...ital-than-ever
post #74 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-10, 10:12 AM
Veteran

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...ng_Corporation
Quote:
The financial structure and the nature of the CBC differs from other national broadcasters, such as the British broadcaster BBC, as the CBC employs commercial advertising to supplement its federal funding on its television broadcasts. The radio service employed commercials from its inception to 1974. Since then, its radio service, like the BBC, has been commercial-free. However, since the fall of 2013, CBC's FM Radio Networks Radio 2 and Espace Musique have introduced limited advertising amounting to 4 minutes an hour.
post #75 of 91 (permalink) Old 2014-04-14, 01:18 PM
Veteran

So long as they import programming from, or air programming sold or with potential sales to the USA, they will not have a non-encrypted satellite broadcast free for Canadians themselves. That includes pro sports rights.

Once they drop NHL, Corrie, and Disney, likely they can consider it.

Simple as that, don't get your hopes up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in