Canadian FTA Channels? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-12-13, 09:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDekkard View Post
Having Canadian OTA in HD does not keep Canadians from viewing US OTA in HD - It just gives them more choice.
If the choice is a fringe antenna, mast, amp and all those goods, vs a set-top rabbit ear antenna for the same programs basically, most people would choose the latter.

As for having the broadcasters broadcast their locals on satellite for free (not necessarily FTA though), although potentially cheap for the customer, it will cost the broadcasters, as they have to get satellite bandwidth, although working with the existing satellite companies something could get worked out. Anything would have to be universal though, as a TV viewer would have to be able to receive all their locals with one dish and receiver, and the receiver would have to be an "open market" thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 2010-03-11, 08:33 PM
Rookie

canadian channels

I have a 36" dish and a linier lnb and just looking for a couple of networks and a couple of canadian channels on ku band satellites can someone help me out I went to lyngsat but I've been trying but linier is tough to tune unless I need a lnb for c band.
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old 2010-03-11, 10:12 PM

Not much for Canadian content up there, few feeds here and there on c-band but they are 4:2:2. You would be best off with OTA for local stuff and satellite for everything else.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.

post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 09:30 AM
Veteran

Except for some ethnic channels on G19, some which originate in Canada, there are no Canadian channels FTA on Ku; they are all pay on Bell and Shaw's satellite services.
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 07:41 PM
Rookie

With CBC announcing the shutdown of all Analog Transmitters as of July 31, 2012, now might be a good time to campaign for CBC to be offered FTA.
post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAfred View Post
With CBC announcing the shutdown of all Analog Transmitters as of July 31, 2012, now might be a good time to campaign for CBC to be offered FTA.
Save your energy and just tune in OTA. The digital OTA transmissions are superior to analogue and they are free too just like FTA.

Sony TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp in 3-channel universe; 1.2-metre Ku dish 8W to 30W, 87W to 105W.
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 07:59 PM
Veteran

OTAFred, CBC is available FTA now, no need to campaign. To take full advantage, just install a CBAND dish and get a new digital FTA receiver and your all set with 5 time zones of CBC (and more).

Cyberham, I think he's in rural Nova Scotia with no Digital OTA available.
Prime candidate for a CBAND antenna if ya ask me. Being rural NS, space should not be a problem.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
OTAFred, CBC is available FTA now, no need to campaign. To take full advantage, just install a CBAND dish and get a new digital FTA receiver and your all set with 5 time zones of CBC.

Cyberham, I think he's in rural Nova Scotia with no Digital OTA available.
Prime candidate for a CBAND antenna if ya ask me. Being rural NS, space should not be a problem.
tvfool says that OTAFred down the valley can get digital Global and CTV OTA if he has a tower with outdoor antenna. I agree since he is rural, C-band is his best option unlike city folk who normally could not install a big dish.

Sony TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp in 3-channel universe; 1.2-metre Ku dish 8W to 30W, 87W to 105W.
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 08:03 PM
Veteran

I'm going by his post in the OTA Forum's CBC Status Thread...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 08:15 PM

Ya cbc is free right now hope it stays this way, Canadian's and others in usa and South america have been waiting for this for years, ever since they took off there analog station that use to be free like what... 20 years ago?

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.
post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-26, 06:40 PM

Is CBC still available C Band, some Channel lists I see show it, others don't. I see on LyngSat it's listed, it's why I want an FTA Receiver and decent C Band dish if it's available, anyone pick it up?
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-26, 07:07 PM

I don't have C-band, but many have talked about receiving CBC HD from the different time zones via Anik F1R. A good reason to get C band.

See this thread for details: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144572

Last edited by cyberham; 2012-04-27 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Added link to CBC on C-band thread.
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 03:55 AM

That's the exact reason why I've been scrounging around for a C Band Dish to pick up Anik F1R and then a motor later to get other satellites, but first, Anik F1R :P. I want to get CBC, and even better, to have it in HD is a plus. I also notice Weather Network is on that, and even though I feel they advertise more then forecast weather that would be nice too :P.
post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 09:55 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickk View Post
I still don't get this argument. why bother setting up a sattilite dish for CBC when you can use a set of rabbit ears to get it?
And just what privleged part of Canada do you live in...........Don't make assumptions that everyone can receive what you do because this is a big country and you obviously live in a very very very small part of it.
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dael View Post
And just what privleged part of Canada do you live in...........Don't make assumptions that everyone can receive what you do because this is a big country and you obviously live in a very very very small part of it.
That was posted back in 2008 by the looks of it, things have changed a lot since then. No digital OTA here so I watch CBC on my BUD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in