Canadian FTA Channels? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 07:11 PM

Maybe instead of talking of having the cbc fta in Canada only maybe it would be nice to having the CBC available around the world to expats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-18, 08:36 PM

Question Just Curious About FTA in Canada

So I was just curious which channels do you now actually get on FTA in Canada?
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 09:03 AM
Veteran

The Lyngsat link in post #10 above is pretty much it for Canada-based FTA.

post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 11:00 AM
Member #1

Good lord, do you people not turn on your television.

CBC is free over the air to virtually ever household in Canada now and has been for 30 or 40 years!

post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 03:01 PM
Veteran

That's not the point.

Given a choice between receiving a snowy, crappy analog CBC station in the middle of nowhere and a clear digital CBC station using a FTA receiver, I submit that most would choose the latter.
post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
That's not the point.

Given a choice between receiving a snowy, crappy analog CBC station in the middle of nowhere and a clear digital CBC station using a FTA receiver, I submit that most would choose the latter.
How many people would this benefit?
Where you live, you can get CBC, in HD, OTA, so why would you want a SD FTA CBC channel?
I know I would choose a HD OTA channel, over the FTA SD version any day!
post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 03:24 PM
Veteran

You're right I wouldn't choose an CBC SD if I had an HD source.

I'm talking about those who can't receive CBC HD OTA. CBC only broadcasts digital OTA in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. That still leaves a LOT of people left out.

The 2011 transition to digital tv is still three years away...
post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 05:00 PM

I don't think I should pay so people aren't subjected to a "snowy picture".....
If it troubles people that much, there usually is a solution, that may cost a few dollars a month (starchioce/BellTv) or free if you are in range for OTA...
post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 06:42 PM

Strictly speaking, the CBC satellite network is part of the behind the scenes infrastructure and not intended for public use. The old analog system dated back to the 1970s, before scrambling schemes were developed. It was quite a feat in those days. It was designed from the ground up by Telesat and CBC. The computers behind that system predated hard drives and floppy disks. The program was stored on paper punch tape. We have a Emmy in our Network Operations Centre for that system.

The current system is a essentially an off the shelf product that was deployed around 2001. It is MUCH more cost effective than the old system. Since it was not a custom build we have to work within the design parameters. In order to control the receivers they must have a smart card installed. In order to ensure the smart cards stay in the receivers, we turn encryption on.

Having said that, the scrambling was off for several months due to some technical issues. It was switched back on a few days ago. I really doubt anybody was watching it with a FTA rig during that time. You still need an 8PSK receiver and for decent reception you need a 4m antenna.

In short, the scrambling is a technical requirement, not an effort to keep eyes out.

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming: Retired
post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 08:29 PM
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
The Lyngsat link in post #10 above is pretty much it for Canada-based FTA.
Hmmmm, I just looked at that link and I must have missed the hole being drilled in the Earth so we can get this channel from Canada....

The Fight Network UK Eurobird 1 at 28.5°E

Time to get my 25 meter Dish aimed I think.
post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I don't think I should pay so people aren't subjected to a "snowy picture".....
If it troubles people that much, there usually is a solution, that may cost a few dollars a month (starchioce/BellTv) or free if you are in range for OTA...

i hate tv - well you are paying right now and all I am getting is a snowy picture - what's up ?

marc - you obviously work for the CBC. If I am paying for the CBC - why can I not get a HD or SD signal via Ku Band Sat ? (On Bell, Starchoice, or whatever sat?)....lol
post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
Hmmmm, I just looked at that link and I must have missed the hole being drilled in the Earth so we can get this channel from Canada....

The Fight Network UK Eurobird 1 at 28.5°E

Time to get my 25 meter Dish aimed I think.
Heh, missed that one. Although if you are in St. John's, NL you can see one or two of the Hotbirds. But it's kind of a moot point anyway because they're spotbeamed.
post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 11:00 AM

CBC operates a terrestrial TV network that reaches the vast majority of Canadians. If you are not satisfied with the reception in your area please write down the details and someone will investigate.
Bell and Shaw are private companies. If you want to use their satellite services you will have to contact them directly.

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming: Retired
post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 11:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
CBC is free over the air to virtually ever household in Canada now and has been for 30 or 40 years!
But not anymore. As private affilates disaffiliate from the CBC nowadays, the CBC is NOT building transmitters to provide CBC OTA to those areas. (This is true in the BC Interior, and Medicine Hat, AB)
post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDekkard View Post
well you are paying right now and all I am getting is a snowy picture - what's up ?
l
Call your service provider?
I am paying, and my picture is crystal clear, either with my 9200 subscribed HD package, or via the tuner in my tv, or the tuner in my 9200 for OTA..
If there is no additional cost for CBC to do this, then I don't see an issue, but if there is, I don't think there is enough people who would use the FTA version of CBC to make it worthwhile.
Marc, would there be any additional cost to have CBC as an FTA channel?
I just can't see people buying 1m+ size dishes, all to get an FTA version of CBC. The dish itself could easily be $100, add on the installation, another $100+ , all for a few channels?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in