New Member Free-to-Air Satellite Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-12, 08:58 AM

hi
I just check out lyngsat free tv channel and HBOwest from echostar is there....can I reallly have acess to this channel FTA
If I want to get most of the channel out there what would you consider for me

I have a expressvu dish but no receiver,I thought of buying a pansat receiver
and I guess this dish is too small to get fta

thnaks
J

Last edited by hugh; 2006-03-12 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-12, 07:35 PM

90cm and up is good, a motor is a must, I have a Patriot 1.1 meter on a Stab HH120 works great on Ku-band.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.
post #33 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 10:06 PM

lyngsat isn't the most reliable source of info. It should be used as a guide and not fact. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

I'd consider this guide as the most reliable i've seen for what's up there.: http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

post #34 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Most of the DVB-PCI cards allow recording to HDD.
I think you need at least a gig and a half PC, and lots of RAM and HDD space.

There is not many DBS channels receivble on a DVB-FTA card or receiver, so you will need a larger dish, perhaps motorised, to get the most of it.

If you are thinking of receiving Bell orDishnet with an FTA system, except for a handful of channels, doing what is needed is pirasc, and will not be discussed here.
post #35 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-15, 07:51 PM

Lightbulb Thankyou

Thankyou for the info I guess i am going to have to look for a bigger dish fudge such is life , 1 more qwik question are all cards created equal or is there a peticular card that is better and offers more bells and whistles like offering stereo audio and such things or better quality video?
post #36 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-19, 12:27 PM
Veteran

As fasr as video quality and stereo audio, they all pretty well just suck the TS from satellite. It is up to your decoder software and PC to do what you need.
post #37 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-20, 08:15 PM

Thankyou

Thank You very much for the info
post #38 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-22, 10:12 AM

Newbie needs help for FTA channels available

Hi everyone

I've search in the topic wich channel I could get FTA.I am a bit confused cause on the lyngsat.com site they say for america there is HBO west and the NHL on OLN that I could get....is this true......I think it is too good to be true so can someone please know a site that we see a CLEAR listing of the channels that we can get

J
post #39 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-22, 10:34 AM
Member #1

lyngsat is generally the site everyone points too. This question has come up before so I recommend a search on this forum as I believe your questions have already been answered.

post #40 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-22, 03:27 PM

hum i serach the forum before and the anwser I have receive haren't clear enough so that's why I am starting a other topic......sorry

J
post #41 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-23, 06:30 PM

Here is a list of what you'd get: http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html
post #42 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-27, 07:20 PM

Satellite signal

Hi i'm a real newbie at this free to air satellite stuff. But i have a big problem that i can't figure out and its been a couple of days now...

I set up the receiver and hooked up everything up on the satellite dish...now im only getting a signal and picture for 110 W and no signal for 119W, why could that be?....If someone could please help me out with this problem it would be greatly appreaciated.
post #43 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-27, 07:33 PM
Member #1

Giants32, we are not interested in satellite pirates here.

post #44 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-28, 08:19 AM

Pointing the damn thing

Hi All,

FTA Newbie, with a dish pointing question:

I used to subscribe to StarChoice. I still have a SC elliptical dish which is pointed at the SC birds. I cannot figure out what that compass point is. I think it is 217W, but the helpful folks at SC cannot give me a straight answer.

Anyway, I never could subscribe to BEV because my house is in the way. I believe from reading these threads that the BEV birds are at around 119W. If this is the case, then my SC is pointing even further west, which is great because I have an unobstructed view directly west.

Can someone confirm that my thinking is correct. And if so, what can I pick up from, say, 217W to 275W... anything interesting on the FTA side?

The great thing about this FTA equipment is that it is not expensive, however I don't want to spend the cash unless I know it is worth it. And I suppose I cannot use my existing SC dish, but could I at least use the mount? And lastly, any word on current or future HD availability for FTA?

Sorry for so many lame questions. I appreciate any help you can give me.
post #45 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-28, 01:36 PM

FTA Receiver in Canada to receive ATV Hong KOng and CCTV China

I lam a new member who live in Toronto, Ontario and would like to know wether any of th e FTA receiver PANSAT 3500 , coolsat 5000, digiwave 7000 are ceritify equipment for used in Canada.

Furthermore I would like to receive the ATV Home Channel from Hong Kong and CCTV from China (both digital/clear in lyngsat website) and wonder if anyone has any experience in receiving these channel.

Thank You
Vicky

Tags
canada , free , fta , satellite , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in