New Member Free-to-Air Satellite Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 601 (permalink) Old 2005-11-14, 11:16 PM

C-Band? Ku-Band? DVB? WTF? Can anybody recommend a readily available book that will explain the whole FTA/satellite concept to me in detail? I am thinking of building a new PC this year and I found a store in Ottawa that sells the Twinhan 102G PCI card (950~2150 MHz tuning range). I would love to get an FTA system up and running but I don't want to spend hours and hours on the internet and chatting with salespeople if I can just buy a book that will explain it all to me. Does anybody have comments to make on that particular card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 601 (permalink) Old 2005-11-15, 10:48 AM

If you only want Ku-band then a 90cm or 1.2 meter dish with a motor is fine, for C-band a 8.5' or better yet a 10' will be fine, you can get both C-band and Ku-band with a big dish.

Here you will see what is free on Cband and Ku-band:
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
How to understand the charts:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

C-band Freq is 3000-5000
Ku-band is 11000 and up

You will be looking for the DVB in the clear feeds.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.
post #18 of 601 (permalink) Old 2005-11-16, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the quick reply,tdti1. I think I will be buying a Ku-band dish to start. I want something fairly portable and easy to assemble to start. Is there a dramatic difference in what can be recieved using a 1.2 m dish over a 90 cm dish?

post #19 of 601 (permalink) Old 2005-11-23, 03:17 PM

i live in mississauga, should i buy an OTA antenna and have about 15-20 relativly standard channels or should i purchase a toroidal dish and pansat 3500s and go the FTA way... either way it is around 300$ i have contct which can get me the dish and receiver for 100$ each... is FTA easy to set up once you have the dish installed? does the receiver like scan everyhting and get all the channels for you... one thing i definatly like about FTA is i will be able to get some european channels and that will be nice since i'm from europe.
post #20 of 601 (permalink) Old 2005-11-23, 03:21 PM
Member #1

staffpro, FTA channels not equal to OTA channels. CHeck out the links above for what comes in FTA.

post #21 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-02, 09:41 PM

New at this

A friend recently purchased a FTA system, I was over at his place checking it out because I had heard of this but not very familiar on how it works. The one thing I noiced right off the bat is that their is no information on the programming guide as to what is showing. Seems to be a bit of a pain searching through all the stations. Is he missing something or is this malfuction of the system?
post #22 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-03, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgreek
A friend recently purchased a FTA system, I was over at his place checking it out because I had heard of this but not very familiar on how it works. The one thing I noiced right off the bat is that their is no information on the programming guide as to what is showing. Seems to be a bit of a pain searching through all the stations. Is he missing something or is this malfuction of the system?

True Free To Air Satellite has no program guide.

Just out of interest what channels was he watching?
post #23 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-04, 12:47 PM

Yeah the majority of the channels don't have guide info, an exception would be some channels on IA5 (97 degrees). Guide info costs money to maintain & update and with FTA there is such a small percent of people using it, with no income going to the satellite distributers.
post #24 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-10, 03:01 PM

New as well

I was wondering if I can use my old DirectTV dish and LNB for FTA? I know that the receivers are now paperweights. What FTA receiver would be recommended for the DTV dish/LNB if I can use them? If not, what dish setup would be recommended? I'm looking to start with just Ku Band FTA first. I'm located near Toronto.

Thanks.
post #25 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-10, 04:39 PM

Screamin:
for KU-band FTA, the minimum dish size needed is 75cm, while 100cm is recommended. It will also need an LNB. The best way to get started is to plan out what channels/satellites you are planning on getting. If the channels you want are spread across several satellites then a motor would be very handy.

Check out: http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/mpeg2/index.php
post #26 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-02-11, 07:59 AM

Thanks

Thanks Bunkhouse.
post #27 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 09:40 PM

Total newbie startup questions

are there computer cards available to recieve FTA signals that will also allow me to use my computer as a PVR (persona video Recorder)? Also how fast of a computer do i need to do this if it is possible? I have a 18" dish on my roof from previous house owner will this work or do I need a special dish ?
post #28 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 03:15 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
The "channels from ..." pages on Lyngsat are pretty much useless, because they show channels by country of origin and not what is actually available in your area. In NA you can only get NA satellites. Look in the Satellite section - Frequencies->America.

Arthur I like to ask ,I,m new here intersting switching to the GlobeCast-WroldJust to see feew Internatonal Channels from Europa look like they are not Free what are the Requirements for it need the Tottal Satellite Dish and the Receiver from the GlobeCast or other any FTA Receiverc will be Ok for it.Exampole the ViewSat Paltinum will it or Need that 36" Elyptical Dish aaand the Cannels are Open or Scrambled..........and ned the Card or not like now we using the FTA for Dish.no Cards........
post #29 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 03:27 PM
Member #1

deres61, we don't condone satellite Piracy and you should know that using the FTA for Dish Network is illegal and any further mention of it in this thread will get you banned.

post #30 of 601 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 03:49 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
deres61, we don't condone satellite Piracy and you should know that using the FTA for Dish Network is illegal and any further mention of it in this thread will get you banned.

Sorry.
I not meant any Piracy Question here nothing to do whit the DishNetwork......just sample Question what need for the for the GlobeCast world, That all we I see I'm on the worng Forums..........

Tags
canada , free , fta , satellite , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in