New Setup, new house - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-08-26, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

New Setup, new house

It's a case of good news bad news.
I took down the dish a year and a half ago and stored it until my new place was built.

I got a 2 1/2 inch mast , 10 ft long and I set it in the ground 4 ft deep, leavin me 6 ft.

I had a new fence build along the property line, but the contractor put the 6 ft fence at least 6 inches inside the property line. The arm on on the Dish wouldn't quite clear the 6 ft fence. I had to lower the fence by 3 inches.

The good news is, that once I got the dish mounted and turned on, the tuner remembered where most of the satellites were. I eyeball due south. I have a satellite directly south and it was there. Then I started rotating to the other satellites. Most of them were where I expected them. But some I can't find at all.

I suspect the USALS misses the satellites by a few degrees but I can't figure out if it is out to the east or west. I need to figure out a new set of strong signals to pinpoint the right satellite. I'm goingto have to re-check the zero and re-adjust the arc.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/alb...ictureid=15465

Missing is 87W, 101W and 113W. I didn't even try for 72W as I'm sure I'd just be looking at the fence.

Laurie in ladner BC with his 4 ft dish back up and running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-08-29, 05:04 PM

USALS is very accurate. I think you are not tracking the arc correctly. Drive the dish to a sat that you no longer can receive.

Go out to the dish and very slightly adjust the elevation up and down while watching the receiver. If the sat pops in then you will know that one of the settings is incorrect.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-08-30, 12:18 PM

if you're missing the odd bird, try tweaking the longitude setting in .2 degree increments to see if it improves. if nothing improves, you might be tracking high or low on the arc which will give weird results depending on if you land in a sidelobe(ring) or in a null. My dish tends to need tweaking of the longitude whenever my mast shifts seasonally (on a shed).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2019-08-31, 09:53 AM

Nice to see a new posting! A nice clean installation. Did you consider a C-band dish since you had to start from scratch? For 87W, use the CNN transponders which are always on, stronger and more stable compared with LPB. On 101W, there is always a strong transponder with colour bars. Have you tried using USALS and entering the incorrect latitude? This is a form of cheating but which can give you hints as to whether everything is adjusted correctly.

For 72W, although there are no TV signals anymore, there are strong transponders that are good for checking a dish. It would provide a good eastern satellite for you to check if you're on the arc.

Sony TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp in 3-channel universe; 1.2-metre Ku dish 8W to 30W, 87W to 105W.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in