nbc missing on 103w (ku)? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Location: gatineau, pq /// cm-3022 attic mount /// roof-top cm-4220hd
nbc missing on 103w (ku)?

has anyone else noticed this?
quite some weeks ago, the channels ('mux1' - 'mux4', iirc) for msnbc & cnbc vanished, now it's all the nbc channels, along with cozy tv that are apparently no longer broadcasted on 103w.
no amount of blind scans can bring them back.
fine on sunday two weeks ago, no-show on monday.

...just to confirm my dish is still properly aligned, the channels for nhk et al are still there and coming in fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 04:59 PM

The NBC east/west/central/mountain feeds as well as cozi were all coming in last night (Tues July 17) just fine for me here in London ON. The NBC channels are all on the Horizonal polarity, while NHK and the others are vertical. Perhaps your receiver isn't pushing out enough power to trigger the toggling of the LNB from Vertical to Horizontal polarity. It might be a bad connection in the cable somewhere too.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davage View Post
The NBC east/west/central/mountain feeds as well as cozi were all coming in last night (Tues July 17) just fine for me here in London ON. The NBC channels are all on the Horizonal polarity, while NHK and the others are vertical. Perhaps your receiver isn't pushing out enough power to trigger the toggling of the LNB from Vertical to Horizontal polarity. It might be a bad connection in the cable somewhere too.
i was thinking maybe the signal is still there but something changed in the *format* of said signal, but my receiver is not seeing anything. no signal at all, not a sausage. i cannot fathom my amiko mini hd re would suddenly loose the ability to process the signal, as it has served me very well until very recently.
the two other birds i'm watching (125w for pbs, 87w for pbs louisiana and other channels) don't have any problem themselves.

i just did a test, flipping between various transponders on all 3 satellites, some horizontal, others vertical, no problem.

i will try to dig out my microhd (this is what the amiko replaced) to see if this makes a difference, asap.

are you still receiving the "nbc mux ch1-4 ft61-64" signals on tp12111?
those were the first ones to go.

cheers.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 09:54 PM

All coming in fine here. The 4 at 12135H are weak though, but picture is ok. No format or modulation changes as far as I can see. Maybe something moved your dish a bit?

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 07:11 AM
Veteran

What are you using for an antenna?

take a look at sat sig.
https://satsignature.com/plot/america/ses-3
it is one of the weaker TPs on that pol of that satellite. The only reason it does come in at all is that it only uses FEC 3/4, which requires a min of 7.9 dB SNR to lock. While most of the bigger TPs use 5/6 FEC and require at least 9.4 dB to lock. On my primestar antenna with a skewable mount, the weak mux plays fine at 7.9 dB (clear sky), but does not on the 7.5' BUD mesh C/Ku antenna. If it was using 5/6 FEC as well, no way it would be coming in here at all. So, there is No margin for error whatsoever. Does your antenna have a skewable mount, or are you having to set the skew via the LNB? An elliptical dish with a skewable mount can be better than a round dish without a skewable mount, especially on the lower sats. Ie higher the req skew setting, the better it should perform, all else being equal (equiv dish size).
STBs are NOT signal meters, most of them won't display anything for "Quality" when they are well below the lock threshold.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 11:15 AM

I helped the OP install and aim his dish. It is a 4' FG Channel Master, with the skew set on the LNB. It was peaked using the C/N ratio display in EBSPro on a laptop out by the dish, and we took a lot of pains to maximize the signal.

We had some very strong winds through here a couple of weeks ago, so it could be the dish got moved slightly.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

the fact that the footing for this dish is not as robust as the one for my 125w dish, and thus could have shifted just a touch is starting to sink in. (background: because of buried bell cables and gas lines in my backyard, i have everything "floating" and not buried). i will check to see if this dish's setup needs to be leveled again and possibly made sturdier.

if i'm off every so slightly but am still getting nhk et al, it shows how strong those signals are.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 06:46 PM

Right now on my own 4' CM dish on 103W, I'm getting Cozi (11760 H) and NBC MUX CH1 FT61 et al (12134 H) with good strength (plus a bunch of other transponders on 103W).

Are you receiving any horizontal TPs on 103W? (if you're not, then I would guess your LNB has failed on that polarity). Is it the Inverto or Avenger you're using on that dish?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Yeah, all bets are off without a stable & plumb mount to start with.
My primestar w/skewable mount pole is in concrete, below the frost line.

Forget trying to compare the H to V polarization as that information is useless.
Most of the Vert TPs are DVB-S on that SAT. With DVB-S one can be off by a mile and still receive.
H Pol is all DVB-S2 on that sat, and for DVB-S2 signals everything needs to be spot on, No slop allowed.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

DXer:
it's the inverto. the avenger is still mounted on the 90cm dish, currently in the backyard shed.
i'm not home right now, can't answer anything else atm.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 02:42 PM

Almost need a good Andrews/Ch Master 1.8m dish to get any decent headroom on 12135 H. My 1.2m ch master dish, you can push on the mast a bit in any direction and signal drops below threshold. Also I am not using the proper feed-horn, just using a dual output SL2PLL LNBF. Wouldn't mind finding a proper Ku feed-horn with H and V output for this dish. Have some LNBs kicking around I could use.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 03:01 PM

Do you have the original feedhorn for the dish? The OP and I both use an Inverto LNB with voltage polarity switching and a C120 flange that bolts right onto the feedhorn. Also, I've removed the scalars from two Avenger PLL LNBs and grafted them onto the original feedhorn. They give an improved S/N over using them as a standard LNBF.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

a quick check yesterday evening with a torpedo level seem to show the mast holding the 1.2m dish being pretty much straight. afterwards, going through all the channels that still come in (nhk, cgtn, etc.), confirmed they are all vertical polarized.
no horizontal ones seem to be coming in.

it is still a good idea to make things sturdier asap, but the dish being off-kilter might not be the explanation to what's been happening to me. i will have to swap the inverto lnb for the avenger as soon as time allows to verify the possibility my current lnb going bad. as naive as it sounds, i never thought it could be possible.

cheers.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-07-28, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

swapping the inverto lnb for a stock avenger dual lnb yielded the same result: nhk et al still there, nbc + cozi still absent.
ok, so the inverto did not become defective, it's the dish that is "just" off-kilter.

still impressed that nhk can come in fairly well despite a slightly misaligned dish. they must transmit at power level 11.

cheers.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-08-11, 06:42 PM

The NHK transponder is QPSK, the NBC TP is 8psk. You require a much better signal to lock the higher order modulation. NBC is strong though even on a 90cm dish so must be out of alignment as you indicate. You should be able to get it back, just a bit of tweeking required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in