BVN frequency Change AND Other news - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

BVN frequency Change AND Other news

BVN has been in process of changing the frequency and bitrate of the Eutelsat 113 West A Ku downlink for the Americas region for a few weeks now.

The new settings are 12089MHz 13500 symbol rate, same PID settings as before.
The new and old signals are co-existing on the same transponder (TWT Amplifier which already offered zero margin for error regarding available power), but were supposed to delete the old 12076MHz signal Feb 8, but for some reason, has not yet happened.

These transponder loading changes have stirred-up the usual hornets' nest of outage and quality complaints to the BVN forum website https://www.bvn.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2933 .

THEN something interesting happened! BVN Admin posted on 12 Feb in response to a complaint about internet streaming outage that
Quote:
Vanaf 1 april komen we met een oplossing voor beter ontvangst in Canada.
which translates to
Quote:
From April 1 we will come up with a solution for better reception in Canada.
I really hope that they were referring to satellite reception, and not internet streaming 'reception' , which would have been an improper use of the term.

Stay tuned to their forum page or else here for whatever comes next! Former BVN satellite viewers in Canada since 2013, maybe don't throw away your antennas/receivers just yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-02-17, 12:09 PM
Veteran

will keep our eyes to the sky from time to time..

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

The idiocy continues...
the brand new signal... has gone!
it disappeared a couple of days ago during prime time viewing, and without warning. Viewers must now revert to the old settings, which didn't seem to recover much strength since getting the transponder power amplifier all-to-itself once again.

BVN made it official yesterday via their forum by responding to several recent outage complaint posts.

I feel so very sorry for those viewers who pay to have their receivers and dishes tweaked , and who did so as per the instructions only to be forced to revert and wait for whatever "new solution" is yet to be announced by "no later than April 1" 2018.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-03-30, 06:35 PM
Veteran

BVN is now on 97W 12060 H 22000
DVB-S QPSK FEC 3/4
MPEG2 480i, look for Sid 17
Guessing that should be really easy to receive for you now.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-03-31, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
The idiocy continues...
the brand new signal... has gone!
it disappeared a couple of days ago during prime time viewing, and without warning. Viewers must now revert to the old settings, which didn't seem to recover much strength since getting the transponder power amplifier all-to-itself once again.
And what do you expect for free?

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-01, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I tried it this morning, getting nice picture via G19.
This is a great relief and will restore many lost viewers.
Still no word from BVN officially that I've seen as of this morning...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-08, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

MajorTom,
can you use your fancy receiver to measure what DV standard is actually being used for the newest signal on Eutelsat 113West A? They say 11984MHz Horizontal, 3600Ms/s is DVB-S2 but there are reports of viewers tuning it in using receivers not known to be DVB-S2 compliant.

BTW, I gotta get me one of those tuners that you showed in the screen shot, looks useful!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-08, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Sure, it looks like
11984 H 3600
DVB-S2 QPSK FEC 1/2
The video is MPEG2
If what you say is true, it may be because they aren't using pilot bits, and that FEC 1/2 is also a valid FEC for DVB-S QPSK.
The one parameter a regular DVB-S only receiver may not understand is the .20 rolloff factor.
DVB-S only supports a rolloff of .35, while DVB-S2 supports .35, .25 or .20. But that may not be that picky on the receiver end, if the signal skirts roll off much sooner / sharper than expected. I can test with an old DVB-S receiver also.
DVB-S2 QPSK FEC 1/2 adds LOTS of error correction, so the minimum required snr to lock for that signal is only 1 dB, thus I have an 8 dB fade margin, which is huge. Partly Cloudy sky here today.
That should be good for you up there in the weaker portion of the footprint.
And I would say the engineers there are doing all they can to deliver that signal.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-08, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow! This is neat stuff! Too bad they didn't think of it years ago.

My guess is that they found another uplink provider(with more expertise than the last outfit).

Many thanks,

btw, what's a good receiver to use on a win 10(64) pc to get info such as this without spending cubic$$ ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-08, 09:55 PM
Veteran

the tbs5520se in the 2nd snapper is a pretty good tuner. I just received mine a month or two go... I am happy with it so far.
It supports dvb-s, dvb-s2, dvbs2x.
qspk, 8psk, 16apsk 32apsk modulation. and does acm/vcm transponders (which are mostly just data TPs). It won't cost your first born and is supported by crazyscan in windows.
I am using updateDVB in linux, which is a similar program, but open source.

It also has a DVB-T/DVB-T2 tuner which doesn't do us any good here, but if you had occassion to go to europe, you could bring it with you and use it for OTA TV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in