Stab HH120 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-11-04, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Red face Stab HH120

I finally switched out the SG2100 motor for the heavier STAB HH120.
I had earlier taken down my 90cm dish and replaced it with a 120cm dish. That sucker is heavy.
With the new motor it lifts the dish about a foot higher as the post points up and the dish mount slides over top, rather than hanging from a down pointing motor post.
On both the SG21000 and the new HH120, I had to drill and put set screws in the motor bracket and the motor post/dish clamp, once I had the "zero" aligned. The weight of the dish had a tendency to swing the dish on the posts. (I got a set of new titanium drill bits from a major store but they dulled really fast on the steel in the motor post. An old bit I sharpened, went through it like butter).
It took me three days to get the arc and elevation right. The plasma TV isn't conducive to moving outside. I have a signal meter (about $10) that I used and it was pretty good, though not perfect.
The new STAB motor is slower to turn than the SG2100, but it has the advantage of USALS. That helped. But I don't get 87W any more. Must be the neighbour's trees. I used to get all the way around to 72W with the 90cm dish, when I first put in the system. LPB had some good mystery shows.
I now watch the latest Dr. Who on the internet.

Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in trying out my 90cm dish, it's hanging on the fence, and is just going to waste. And I doubt that I will use the smaller motor again. If you're serious about putting in a satellite system, or just need an upgrade and a rotor, let me know.

Laurie in Ladner BC with an antenna on the roof and a 4ft dish in the backyard.

Last edited by laurienicol; 2016-11-04 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-11-11, 02:14 PM

It's good to hear you are still plugging away. Though I'm off the hobby for now since I don't have the physical situation to install a dish, I've always thought I would go for a 1.2m dish next with the Stab motor. It's worth fighting to get LPB unless you can get 125W in place of it. PBS was always a reason for Ku FTA. So for now, I just play with OTA in Toronto and Halifax. This makes me feel I am still beating the system.

Sony TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp in 3-channel universe; 1.2-metre Ku dish 8W to 30W, 87W to 105W.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-11-13, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I line my Zero on 123W. I now watch PBS on 125W, but it's not as good as it once was as OETA is gone now. I have heard that SES2 on 87W may have changed something, so I won't get LPB back. I was able to align it on the Arabic stations but the signal isn't strong enough for LPB.
I may have to drop the motor down the post as it is up in the wind and the post is 7 feet out of the ground, and may be bending at the top (1&1/2 inch conduit) Now I have to tweak the alignment every time I change satellites.
Still the wife is happy with her Glorystar stations on 97W.
Does anybody know for sure if there has been changes to 87W?

laurie in Ladner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in