BVN Viewership Numbers in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cham

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-17, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

BVN Viewership Numbers in Canada

Hi all,
I'm just wondering about how many people are actually able to get BVN over satellite in Canada in the past, or in the present, and even potential viewers?

I've been trying to get them to do something to make the satellite signal better for the prairies, but I am afraid that there may not be enough viewers to pressure them into doing anything.

Of course, they themselves aren't going to tell me how many viewers past or present there are in any region, so I have to try to figure that out some other way.

Would a poll or thread like this be of any use in convincing them that they should get their channel onto Galaxy 19 or some other affordable and appropriate satellite?

Thanks,

Auke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-17, 07:24 PM
Veteran

I can receive it here OK (clear sky), on the 7.5' BUD, which isn't necessarily optimised for Ku Band. As per the footprint map published on satbeams.com, Brandon, MB is in a similar footprint contour as Western, NY. So I am thinking you should be able to receive it there with a good Ku Band antenna.
As per sat signature near real time spectrum analyser, as monitored from Phoenix , Az, it's on one of the stronger transponders.
https://satsignature.com/plot/americ...sat-113-west-a
So it is out there already. Satellite time is extremely expensive, and one would have to have a real good business plan to justify the expense of a redundant feed. I am aware of it, but have never watched, given that it's not my native tongue.

A quick back of the napkin link budget for your location tells me you shouldn't have an issue receiving it on a clear day. What are you using for an antenna now? The further north you go, obviously the larger your antenna is going to have to be to receive it reliably.

Code:
Tuned specs: 
System:     DVB-S 5 
Frequency:  12088 H 11719 
22khz:      OFF 
Modulation: QPSK 0 
FEC:        3/4 3 
Inversion:  ON 1 
Rolloff:    35 0 
Pilot:      OFF 0 
MIS:        -1 
FRAME_LEN:  LONG 0 
Bandwidth:  15.8207 MHz 
Data Rate:  16.1998 Mbps 
CN Failure: 5.5 dB 

status Locked | signal -42.0 dBm | snr 7.8 dB | ber 8 | FE_HAS_LOCK  
  status Locked | signal -42.0 dBm | snr 8.1 dB | ber 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK  
  status Locked | signal -42.0 dBm | snr 7.9 dB | ber 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-18, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Up here, my problem with reception is that Anik F2 is very very strong, and so aiming a dish isn't just about maximising the incident signal, but also minimising the adjacent signals on the same frequency.

BVN on Eutelsat 113 West A uses the main KU beam (Band 2), NOT the Conus Ku beam, so that it covers South America, Central America, and USA all at once. That pattern STOPS just halfway accross North Dakota.

Here, just 30 miles or so north of the North Dakota border, using a 42 inch behemoth dish, aimed to perfection, only yields reliability to the lightest of rain clouds. These conditions seem unacceptable to me. They lost a several viewers in my area when the SES-1 service was lost, because those people just couldn't accept such huge antennas on their homes of balconies.

Surely there is a cost effective solution to bring this channel back into the lives of the Dutch people I know around here who would like to restore their service, and stop racking up their internet bills trying to watch online. Most still have their old dish pointed at SES-1, which would be easy to change to Galaxy 19.

The more senior of my contacts(a large percentage of the viewers that I am aware) refuse to use online services because of the complexity in using it. Heck, they can barely switch inputs on their TV just to toggle between their pay-tv and BVN, without having to call me for instruction to restore their picture!

I guess if I can't prove that there's demand, then BVN will just fade away forever in this whole area. What a shame it is!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-18, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Can you take a picture of your antenna and post it here? That or post the make and model and I will find it myself.
As you didn't answer my question about what antenna you are using.

The only way to minimise the adjacent satellite signal is to use a dish that complies with the 2 degree spacing of the geostationary satellites in orbit. That in turn means the only way to avoid Adjacent satellite interference is to use a properly sized antenna, To reduce the beamwidth of the antenna to well below that 2 degrees.
You can't beat the laws of physics. As diameter decreases, beamwidth increases...As diameter increases, beamwidth decreases.
If you are having trouble now, I would go with a 1.2m channel master type offset feed,
and motorise it with a diseqc motor capable of moving a 1.2m dish. It has a narrower BW than a 1.0m, plus has 2 dB more gain.
With that you wouldn't miss out on much at all, if anything. A friend's 1.2m Channel Master offset feed antenna outperforms my
7.5' Perfect 10 (2.4m) prime focus by ~2 to 3dB in overall CNR received from 103W Ku.

Channel Master 1.0m

Effective Aperture 1.0m (40 in)
Operating frequency 10.95 to 12.75 GHz
Linear feed (circular optional - special order)
Gain at 11.95 GHz - 40.5 DBi typical
3 dB beamwidth is 1.95 degrees

Antenna Noise Temp at 30 deg elevation - 25K
VSWR is 1.3:1 MAX
Cross Polarization Discrimination (linear) is >30dB On Axis
Feed interface is standard WR-75
Operational winds limit is 50mph
Survival wind limit is 125mph

1.2m Antenna for comparison
Gain 42.0 dBi at 11.95Ghz.
3dB beamwidth - 1.6 degrees.

Cross polarisation - 30dB.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-19, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

The reason I didn't answer the dish question, is because it's irrelevant to the topic of this post.

BVN can't reasonably expect viewers to invest in 1.2 meter dishes just to get one single channel, that's territory for CATV head-ends. The downlink for 113'W is many dB weaker than the neighboring 111'W, which results in the need for excessively small main lobe. That's just not feasible for casual viewing.

Now, back on topic - The point of the thread is to establish how many viewers BVN lost when the SES-1 signal went away, and how many could potentially get back by adding their signal to any one of Galaxy 19's many uplinkers' multicultural channel line-up, for the purpose of lobbying BVN to act upon the information and satisfy the viewers. Any other discussion should be handled in another thread so as to maintain the focus of t his one.

Respectfully,
sparkycivic
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-20, 05:27 AM
Veteran

I think you are wrong relative to the antenna. You should be grateful that it is out there at all, so whatever it takes IMO.
I also think you are being unreasonable expecting someone to fork over millions of dollars or whatever it is, to redundantly deliver one TV station that is already out there. A 1.2m antenna is not that big... But the real reason I wanted to see it, is that the antenna is the most important
part of a system. Using the wrong, or a cheap antenna may very well be causing poor performance. For instance, I think there are many stamped
steel antennas out there that just don't perform very well.

Maybe you could stay on em periodically and they might consider something different when their existing contract is up.
But I highly doubt anyone is going to go out of their way just to add something redundant.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-08-20, 11:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
1.2 meter dishes just to get one single channel, that's territory for CATV head-ends.
1.2m is fairly small for FTA. 2m or 3m dishes are not uncommon and were once requires for FTA. CATV head-ends are more likely to have much larger dishes in the 3m to 6m range.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-09-03, 08:55 AM

12088 doesn't show up here on a scan via my 1m motorized dish. I do have a channel master 1.2m I can aim that way and give you a reading maybe later this weekend. Thought 113 satellite antennae were maximized for Central/South America as opposed to us up north here...

I also have an 8' offset Ku dish that would likely get a good reading on this TP but I don't have it set up yet.

I am in the Morris area almost in Eastern MB (on the left bank of the Red River)..

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-09-05, 11:49 AM

Checked again (clear sky this am).
This TP is lockable with a 5-6dB s/n on my 1m dish but not really view able here. On the 1.2m Andrews dish I get a solid 7.5dB s/n and watchable signal, but no headroom for weather conditions etc. This TP requires a decent 60" dish for reliable reception north of the 49th, not many FTA users will be able to utilize these channels.
Some TPs on this sat are in the 13dB S/N range on the 1m dish so there is antennae on this sat set up for NA coverage on Ku.
Good signals on C-band on this bird as well.
Jorgek likes this.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in