NASA TV in UHD via Satellite. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

NASA TV in UHD via Satellite.

NASA started broadcasting in Nov 2015 in 4K or UHD with the cooperation of Harmonic Inc as many of the video images NASA captures are 4K or better for their purposes. Harmonic Inc has a satellite receiver they recommend, the Harmonic Proview 7100 that is DVBS2 Mpeg4 with ip streaming capabilities and say other units off the shelf can do this or PC Satellite cards could do this.
Wondering if anyone here has checked out NASA'S UHD satellite feed, and what method are they using to view it.
The technology is pretty impressive as the UHD feed uses very little additional bandwidth over regular HD and then uses the ip stream to feed what ever you want.
See https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...-north-america
And also NASA UHD | Harmonic Inc

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 06:16 PM

It would be nice if we could stream the UHD channel. Not many can use C-band equipment.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 09:21 PM
Veteran

The hardest part of viewing 4K on Satellite is having the PC hardware to do so.
Meaning 4K capable GPU and a suitable display along with the proper codecs.
If you have all that you are good to go. Just get a DVB-S2 capable PCI, PCIe, or USB
satellite tuner and install the drivers. If you run linux, the drivers will generally already be installed.
I have everything here but suitable PC hardware, but have received the 4K demo feeds on 103W no problem, albeit with PC side poor performance. None of it seems exciting enough to me, to make me go out and spend any money.
Harmonic makes commercial satellite receivers, which would be well outside the budget of the typical hobbyist.

Any of the devices Rick sells would be suitable. Either a Prof 7301 (PCI), Prof 8000 (PCIe) would be a good starter kit.
and can be used with Apps like Crazyscan (Windows) or updateDVB (Linux).
http://www.gofastmotorsports.com/pciusbreceivers.htm

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 09:32 PM

As side from all the mentioned above, ideally a large screen 4K TV would be nice as well.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-11, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

In the literature NASA has released http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi...asa_tv_uhd.pdf "ONLINE STREAMING:Currently the NASA TV UHD channel can only be viewed via a satellite DVB-compliant IRD. In the near feature, we hope to have the NASA UHD channel online and available for your viewing. Please check back with us for updates" and also says "The channel also will stream on the Internet, which will require at least 13 MBps access connectivity to receive the signal and enjoy the UHD experience."

I was hoping some here might have already accessed the UHD Channel and been able to provide the cheapest route to go, and to make others aware.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-12, 07:40 PM
Veteran

It's been there since last fall.
Like I said before, if you already have a CBAND satellite system all you need is a PC based satellite tuner, a PC with a decent GPU that supports 4K, and display that supports 4K, and the proper SW Codecs.
The UHD feed is Program 104. I don't have anything here that supports 4K and I don't think it is worth it for me to spend money upgrading all my stuff to play it at this point. No one in my house would use it. It's only a DVB-S QPSK transponder, so just about any tuner would receive it.
At my house, with only a 7.5' antenna I have about 3 dB of margin before it would fail to lock.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-04-14, 08:52 PM

Might want to look for hardware that receives 16 and 32 apsk modulation as well as the H265 compression if you are going all out... The pc/PCIe card combo has the most options available regarding codecs etc. Lots of PCIe cards to choose from if you are willing to spend $$.
The UHD on 103 and 105 (NASA) look great, but seem to be there mostly for demonstration purposes. Programming is repetitive and not that interesting once you have watched for a few hours. There have been some intermittent feeds that show up apparently but I seem to always miss them. The NASA UHD channel is 40Mb/s at 60FPS so that's a lot of data. Need a 2 terabyte drive to record an hour of the transport stream! Forget about streaming through wifi or 10-100 LAN.

There is a mux at 30W Ku that is in H265, regular HD not UHD content. Regular DVB-S2 8PSK modulation.

Makes the hobby interesting when new formats appear. Never know what will be next!

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-06-11, 08:57 PM
Rookie

NASA TV Public is now on G19 (97W) : TP28, 12184 H, SR:22500-3/5, 8PSK, DVB-S2, MPEG-4/HD .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 09:46 AM

... and the Galaxy 19 feed is gone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 10:10 AM

Just fyi, there are two TPs on 101W with UHD content. C-band of course.
NASA UHD is still on 103 and 127W; the latter includes their mpeg2 and mp4/H264 feeds as well . Nice to have the satellite delivery, would require a lot of bandwidth to distribute UHD via local internet services. Nothing around here would be even remotely capable. Can't even stream U-Tube videos in 240i resolution here. But I live in the boonies so guess that's what we have to put up with.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 10:27 AM

Are there any 4K satellite receivers out there? Also I'm not yet ready to purchase a 4K TV. Even with our cable providers 4K programming is scarce.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Rick is getting some OCTAGON SF4008 Triple 4K Linux E2 Receivers
in soon...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 12:29 PM

@majortom ,
Thanks for heads up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in