Recommended FTA/OTA/IPTV/PVR box
I am currently watching TV OTA and legally via IPTV on my Playbook.
I want to simplify my life and get everything via one box. My ideal box will be easy to use, quiet and hassle free, allow me to watch FTA (stationary, mostly 97.0 W), OTA, IPTV (legal channels only) and support PVR so that I can record TV via USB2 to an external hard drive. Internet radio, playback of recorded TV off a USB stick, Android/XBMC and other features would be a plus.
The satellite dish will be Ku band (C band is too large), needs to be stationary and probably roof mounted.
Specifically, I want to watch:
- International news: Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, CCTV English
- PBS HD
- FTA Sports channels
- FTA Movie channels
- Spanish language channels (Satmex 6 or 8)
(* = Preferred)
- AMC 9 - 83.0 W - Retro TV Network + 4 other stations (is this Ku or C band?)
- Galaxy 17 - 91.0 W - ABC News One
- Galaxy 3C - 95.0 W - CCTV Channels
- *Galaxy 19 - 97.0 W - Most channels including Al Jazeera English, RT
- *AMC 18 - 105.0 W - NASA TV (probably C band only)
- *Satmex 6, 8 - 113.0 W, 116.8 W - Mexican channels (C or Ku band?)
- *AMC 21 - 124.9 W - PBS HD
- NASA TV
- Chinese channels and pre-recorded Chinese shows (for my wife)
- Various free Canadian, American and International stations including the Comedy Network (The Daily Show), National Geographic Channel and a few others I have seen
I have seen a few boxes that support some of the above.
Sonicview HD 8000 - FTA, OTA and PVR - no IPTV support and not recommended according to the DH FAQ
D***Wave i8001HD - FTA, IPTV and PVR - no OTA support, highly suspicious and generally frowned upon by Digitalhome members
Captiveworks 4000 HD - FTA, OTA, IPTV, PVR - expensive, seems to be discontinued