Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2007-07-06, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planetary

Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too

I just got a smartphone for the first time this week so please excuse the newbie type question...

I use IMAP for my email at work and home. I have IMAP4 set it up on my HTC P4000 and it works well but I'd like to know how to delete messages off my server from the phone.

When I delete an email on my device, even if I hit send and receive again to update things, it doesn't delete it off my server. It seems to keep a record of what I have deleted and doesn't pull that file from the server again (which is great) but how do I actually take it off the server so that when I go back to my home or office computer, I don't have to redelete all those files again?

The empty deleted folder command, which I thought would be like purge deleted mail in Outlook, just gets rid of the list of deleted emails and the device downloads them all again off the server. I can see the usefulness of that feature but there must be some way to delete things off the server from the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome