Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - "Dead" Wireless Spot in the House?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2007-06-28, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
birdman325

"Dead" Wireless Spot in the House?

My desktop computer sits in the family room and connects to a Linksys Wireless Router through a Linksys wireless USB adapter. I also have a laptop which connects to the Wireless router (and sits in the same room as the router, at the other end of the house from the family room and the desktop computer).
My laptop connection to the wireless router is generally rock solid but I am having tons of trouble with the desktop connecting through the wireless USB adapter. It will often connect, and then randomly disconnect. I can see "view available wireless networks" and see my network (as well as my neighbours) but it won't connect and I get the big red X. Sometimes I am able to select "repair network" and the connection will get re-established and other times it won't. The connect / disconnect also seems to happen totally random, it will work for most of the day, and then just disconnect. I checked all my drivers, deleted and re-installed etc, still no luck.

I read somewhere that maybe there is an intermittent interference problem from an outside source. So I took my laptop into the same room as the desktop, and wouldn't you know it, but my rock solid connection was lost! Same pattern as the desktop. It would randomly seem to connect and disconnect. Clearly, there seems to be some type of interference at that end of the house, from a neighbour or something.

Any suggestions for dealing with this? I read somewhere I can change the "channel" of the router, and then would also presumably have to change the "channel" on the other end (laptop / desktop as well)?

Thoughts?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome