Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - All About Building An HTPC (MoBo, CPU, Cards, Other Gear, Software)
View Single Post
post #64 of (permalink) Old 2007-05-19, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
que3jxp
Veteran

A few updates...

All of my firewire issues were actually due to my DCT6200. I believe I noted it in the thread linked above, but just in case, I am saying it again.

VISTA

Well, I decided to tinker with Vista...

On the good and surprising side, Vista ran fairly well on my current bedroom HTPC:

Asus A7N8X-VM
Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton)
1 GB RAM (2 x 512MB)
Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB
40 GB Samsung (Boot)
160GB Hitachi (Recorded TV)

I even went in and turned on AeroGlass and it was all pretty and still did not appreciably slow my system down.

On the downside, HUGE install. The install after all the standard crap, patches, updates and newest drivers topped out at over 10GB. But, whatever, the drive I used for testing was a brand new Seagate 320GB 7200.10 series so there was no drive issues to speak of (Actually scored 5.2 with that drive in the Vista performance thingy).

The first thing that I did not like was totally a personal preference thing. The new MCE interface. Others have raved but to me, EW!!! I also saw possible WAF issues as my wife is not technically inclined and there is just enough of an interface change from 2005 to Vista that she would more than notice. So, to avoid those, I took the test hard drive out and that was the end of that.

Otherwise, it is neat. It works well and looks pretty but I can now personally say that it is a total waste of money and time. This is not something I would go out of my way to get unless MS totally drops all support for MCE 2005.

I suppose the most facinating thing is that short of having to use the XP driver for my Gigabit NIC (D-Link DGE-530T), I had not one driver or hardware issue to speak of.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome