Playstation 3 Secrets. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Playstation 3 Secrets.

All you wanted to know about the different sku's and other valuable information about the PS3 :

LINK

Samsung HL-S5087W | Yamaha HTR6190B | Motorola 6412 PIII | Sony PS3 | Definitive Technology BP's/C1 and Sub|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Nice find, Hoowaa. Excellent info.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Wow, great find. Kudos to the OP. I can't wait to get back home to Canada and fix my Linux settings so that updates start working!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 12:48 AM

Interesting page, lots of good reading.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 09:57 AM
eno

Great find, thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Is there a chance this could be stickied? I like that this guy says he'll keep the site updated.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Wow, this reminds me how much I need to document myself about all this stuff. I understand most of it, but I think I could do even better with my setup if I understood this better.

As an example, my receiver does not have HDMI, so my PS3 is hooked up directly to my projector's HDMI. For sound, I'm using optical. Now, this whole linear PCM and bitstream part confuses me quite a bit. I'm not even sure what my receiver handles. Plus, there's the constant message about losing part of the audio when switching to linear PCM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 02:23 PM
Veteran

The bottom line with optical vs HDMI. If you use optical, you cannot get the top quality uncompressed PCM audio tracks that you might find on a Bluray disc. You need a receiver with an HDMI input. Not just an input to passthrough the video to your tv. But an input to take in an uncompressed PCM audio track and work with it.

If you use optical, you can only get the old fashioned Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. I admit I only realized this within the last week.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-10, 05:01 PM

My reciever accepts PCM via optical from my PS3. Its a Yamaha 6030.

I should have the PS3 set to bitstream, correct? The receiver has been detecting changes from DD to DTS to PCM and what not, as the PS3 changes the content its playing.

If set the Linear PCM, only stereo audio is output from the PS3?

Im a little confused.

I plan to upgrade the receiver later this year, once not in a condo anymore. neighbours allready complain enough as it is

Last edited by polaris; 2008-02-10 at 05:23 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-10, 06:21 PM
pwm

CECHG is NTSC not PAL

I have the 40 GB which is model CECHG01. I think the author has the PAL and NTSC models wrong. He says that CECHG is PAL and CECHH is NTSC. It's the other way around.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 09:22 PM

thanks a lot for this.. very complete info.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-19, 06:55 PM

Interesting information... thanks for posting!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-26, 10:58 AM
Rookie

PS3 Secrets

Pretty good article, just one inaccuracy... the article mentions that Yellow Dog Linux does not support wifi. I just installed YDL6 on my newly purchased PS3 this weekend and I had no problems at all with the wifi. All I had to do was provide the securty settings and voila. Actually the install was incredibly easy... highly recommended.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-27, 12:05 AM

I always wondered how linuix ran on a ps3 I have a 120gb hdd in it now so got lots of space can anybody show me an easy way to get and install yellow dog to give it a whirl? also an idea of how well it runs and what kind of things can be ran off of it? thanks!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-02-27, 10:29 AM
Rookie

YDL6 was just released a few weeks ago (from Terra Soft) and there are instructions on their web site for how to install on PS3. It runs pretty good but you don't have complete access to all system resouces but still a bunch of researchers are using linked PS3s as cheap supercomputers. However, all manner of free software is available for linux (games, office apps, etc..) so it depends on what you are looking to do. I personally bought my PS3 to use a media centre and linux picks up where the PS3 drops off in that I can play those media files, ogg, mkv, wmv, etc.. in high def that I could not otherwise (using the VLC media player). I also use it to compile digital photos into movies using mencoder. You will need a USB keyboard and mouse (I bought the Logitech EX110 which works great for both PS3 and linux, uses only 1 USB port and is wireless). I have the 40 GB PS3 and formatted the drive to give 30 GB to linux and 10 to PS3 which is plenty for both (but I have also attached a 500 GB external USB drive for the media files). YDL6 can be bought from the Terra Soft store for $50 now or you can wait until March 3rd when it will be avail as a free download from their web site. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in