PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade - Anyone done it yet? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 04:41 PM

^ Yes, you can back up to to a memory stick or SD Card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
Okay, so I bought today a 160GB Western Digital. 5400rpm, 8mb. It's the WD1600BEVS. $90 and it came with a 2.5" external enclosure. This way I can do something with the 40GB when I take it out.

I'm wondering. I know that before you flip the drives, you need to run the backup software. But that means you need to introduce a third storage medium. ie. another external drive.

Is this correct, or is there a way to do it with just the 40Gb inside the PS3 and the new 160GB drive?
You may not be able to just copy over your save information, but you should be able to copy the save info to your external, copy it to your PC, then copy it to the 40GB external and then restore on the ps3.
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz View Post
Just finished my upgrade to 320 last week. Yes the formatted size is 298, but the usable is 263. At least this is what I had before I did the Restore, so nothing was on the HDD yet.
Sigh...wish I had read this thread before I did the upgrade. I was baffled as to how a 320GB drive could end up with only 263GB free (that's a reserved space bigger than the entire original drive!). Anyhow, I thought a "full format" might yield a better result. Now I get to wait 18 hours just to get the same 263 GB

Also, the backup to an external USB drive would not work (apparently a common problem) so I also lost all my save data in the process

post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 12:41 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up

I upgraded today to a 500GB drive and while it was very easy to do it was also hard. I had the original 60GB hdd in there and I managed to strip all 4 of the screws holding the hdd in the slip case. I was even using the proper size screwdriver. I finally went and got the needle nose pliers and was able to get it done. I was only going to get the 320GB but I found that the 500GB was on sale for the same price and just in time too as I only had about 400MB of space left. All in all I am very happy with it.
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 05:27 PM

@Blackloz, what was your system version before you upgraded?

You inspired me to finally get it done and I cannot get the drive to format, I was at 3.41.

It seems that I am not alone, it looks like it is a common issue.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...-HDD-Upgraders

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P.../td-p/45984903

At least I can revert back to my previous disk (which I already put back once to make sure my system was not bricked) and I guess I will have to wait until there is a fix.

That was a waste of 6 hours...

Cheers
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 11:07 PM
Veteran

I had a 60GB version 3.40 and I DID NOT update to 3.41 until after I installed the 500GB hdd. I updated to 3.41 today and it all went fine. I had read about the trouble and thought it best not to update until after.
post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-08-03, 01:25 PM

Sony have replaced the 3.41 update file with a corrected version. I am in the process of restoring my old data as I type.

Cheers
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 2010-12-28, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

My son got Gran Turismo for Christmas and our PS3 ran out of space.

Bought a 500GB Western Digital Drive for $68. Backed up the data. Swapped the drives (which took all of five minutes). Restored data.

Result after restore was 365GB of remaining storage.

Yahoo.

post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 09:09 PM
rlb

I did the same thing last week. My 80Gb was almost out of space so I found a 640Gb for 49.99 and swapped it out. It was surprising easy.
I put the old 80Gb in an enclosure so it didn't go to waste.
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

For anyone wondering, I used the article in Link #1. Like some others, I highly recommend making sure you have the right size screwdriver. IN addition, press hard while trying to loosen the screws so you don't strip them.

post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 03:22 PM
rlb

For backing up I found a free tool call Fat32Formatter that I used on a spare 250Gb external drive since the PS3 won't read NTFS formatted drives. Worked like a charm.
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 07:35 AM

I replaced the stock 320GB hard drive in my laptop with a new SSD so I swapped the laptop drive into my 40GB PS3 last night. The first time through I ran into an error during the restore process (code 800283F0), but after a bit of searching I found the solution to the problem. Apparently some game data can cause the restore process to fail. So, I had to reinstall the original 40GB and delete some old demos. After that the process went smoothly. It was a PITA to have to go through everything twice though. Apparently this issue has been around for years but Sony obviously hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet.
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 06:05 PM
Veteran

I went through the PS3 HDD upgrade last night (bought a 7200rpm 320GB HDD that was on sale). The backup took an hour and the restore 90 minutes to copy about 30gb of data - definitely longer than I expected. Encountered a couple of glitches along the way. The first one was running into a "The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system" message after installing the new HDD, with no option of formatting/initializing the disk. Found out I had to download the latest firmware and manually update the PS3 via a USB stick to fix it.

Once that was taken care of and the restore completed, I was checking to make sure all my savegames, music, DLCs were copied over. Most of them were, but I found all my Rock Band I songs missing from my RB2 song list. Went into the PSN store, re-downloaded the RB activation key, checked RB2 one more time and this time all the songs were there.

Took about 3.5 hours from start to finish, but most of it spent watching TV during the backup/restore/OS install
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 07:57 PM

I am really planning on upgrading my ps3's hard drive probably next week. I am not sure though if they are using a 2.5 or a 3.5 inch hard drive, can anyone help me here? I am pretty familiar with how to pull it off and I am very much exposed to doing it on computers so it would never be a problem. I am planning to plug-in a 1tb or at least a 500gb hard drive and see if it works.
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 11:11 PM

It's a 2.5" drive, no way there would be a 3.5" drive in there unless the PS3 was much much bigger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in