PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade - Anyone done it yet? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-03, 07:56 PM

Yes very much, especially the newer high perf drives. Bluray accessing of course isn't affected but load and disk access is much faster

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2332520,00.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-04, 10:14 AM

Why would you spend more on the HD than you did on the console itself? That seems so pointless, lol.
post #63 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-04, 01:08 PM

cuz I got mad bank

post #64 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-10, 10:09 PM

Is it possible to take your new hard drive and put it in an enclosure, back up onto it, transfer that to my pc and then replace the drive? I would then need to format the original ps3 hard drive and put the back up on there to restore. I don't have a usb flash drive or an external hard drive that is big enough for the back up, and an enclosure seems to be the cheapest way to do this (even if it's somewhat more complicated), plus I could then use my 40gb hard drive as en external drive for other purposes.
post #65 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-14, 10:18 PM

Question

My 40 gig has about 10 gigs left,wanna upgrade but don;t wanna purchase an external backup drive as well ,will a 8mb or so memory stick backup saved games andthe essentuals?I can go back and re download my psn store purchases afterwards.
post #66 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinner62 View Post
My 40 gig has about 10 gigs left,wanna upgrade but don;t wanna purchase an external backup drive as well ,will a 8mb or so memory stick backup saved games andthe essentuals?I can go back and re download my psn store purchases afterwards.
8 gigs will back up your saved games, but it might not fit your PSN downloads and the game data (ie game install data) depending on how many games you have that needed an install. Although most PSN downloads are relatively small so you most likely could fit a few in your backup.

I'm assuming you meant 8 GB (not MB) memory stick. The less data you're backing up the less chance an error could occur. Also keeping the backup to something that will fit onto 8 GB means that the backup/restore process will be faster.

A backup of 40-50 GB will take an hour and the restore will take another hour. It's almost worth it to just install the game data from the discs again if you need to in my opinion.
post #67 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
Is it possible to take your new hard drive and put it in an enclosure, back up onto it, transfer that to my pc and then replace the drive? I would then need to format the original ps3 hard drive and put the back up on there to restore. I don't have a usb flash drive or an external hard drive that is big enough for the back up, and an enclosure seems to be the cheapest way to do this (even if it's somewhat more complicated), plus I could then use my 40gb hard drive as en external drive for other purposes.
Technically that is possible. The backup gets stored in a folder with a few archive.dat files in there depending on the size of the backup. The folder name is a date stamp (ex 200809050012). That is what one of my earlier backups shows. I still have it on my computer for some reason.

So yes, you could backup to an external HDD then copy that folder to your computer. Then take the larger drive out of the enclosure and place that in the PS3. Then reformat you old PS3 HDD in the enclosure and put the backup folder on the external drive and restore from that. phew!!!

To keep things simple I would just go and pick up an 8 GB stick and backup to that if you don't have that much on your PS3 right now or delete some stuff to fit it on there. For $20 it will probably save you some stress and you'll have an 8 GB stick afterwards.

I just mention this since an error could occur in the backup process. When I did my restore of a 50 GB backup it hung up at about 75% and wouldn't finish. I had to do another backup with less data to finally get it to work.

I know people have had success with their backup/restore process, but you can never be too safe.
post #68 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 02:10 PM

another thing thats possible is if you have any spare internal HDD's around you could use USB adapters with them and hook it up to your ps3. there are usb adapters for both SATA and IDE drives. also note these adapters are cheaper than HDD enclosures ( i got a usb to IDE adapter for 20-25 bucks and they can be found cheaper). so if your just going todo somthing like this once then this would be your cheapest solution.
post #69 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-04-29, 10:34 AM

Getting closer. Intel dropped the prices on the screaming fast X-25 series by $100.

X25-M 160GB

December 2008
$945

February 2009
$765

April 2009
$630

X25-M 80GB

December 2008
$595

February 2009
$390

April 2009
$320
post #70 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 07:28 AM
Veteran

The OCZ Vertez is pretty comparable these days. I picked up a 60GB last month and it's great. PC mind you, I wouldn't toss one in my PS3 if there isn't a noticeable performance gain.
post #71 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 04:34 PM

I've been keeping my eye on the OCZ SSD's and their 4 offerings, Vertex, Summit, Apex and Core. The Summit speeds are 2nd fastest to the blazing X-25's

Also, Corsair has recently unleashed their SSD offerings this past week to retail.

Corsair Storage Solutions 256GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk GEN2 Flash Drive SSD

$774.99
post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 11:29 AM

I will say this about changing the HDD. I upgraded to a 320G awhile back and my 60G unit needed to to go in for service. When I put the 320G drive in the replacement unit it was like I never sent it away, no restoring files, nothing. Not that restoring backup files is hared, it takes time.
post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 01:36 PM

^ You got your same PS3 back and not a replacement and they didn't need to replace your motherboard (MB). If it was a replacement PS3 or they replaced you MB when you inserted your 320 GB HDD it would have asked you to reformat.

It sounds like they might have just replaced the Blu-ray drive. Is that what you sent it in for? You could also check the serial number if you kept a copy of that somewhere.
post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 05:15 PM

Yes, you are correct sir!
I checked and it was the same unit that I got back. I thought I read somewhere they replace with another unit to keep turnaround times low.
This actually makes me feel better knowing I got my unit back.

And yes, mine was a Blu ray drive replacement. One of the ones that got bricked with the 3.01 update.

Funnily enough, although Sony will still not admit there was a problem with one of the releases affecting a small # of drives, on the work order it has a Repair code of "Software Update".

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories out there, but I am disappointed Sony didn't come to the plate on this.
post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 10:21 AM

Can you back up to a memory stick or SD card

Hi all, I was reading through the posts as I'm getting ready to swap out my OEM 60 GB HD for a WD 500 GB HD and was wondering if you can back up to / restore from a memory stick or SD card?

Thanks,
dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in