PS3s Now Made For Half The Price - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 07:29 PM
Zoo

Give it time Eluder,

How many systems had a whack of AAA titles in their first year? The pickings were pretty slim on my PS1 in its first year and look at how that system turned out. Heck, even the N64 which got whacked in that generation still had a decent selection of AAA titles by the end.

The PS2 didn't have the best first year either and it ended up with one of the best game libraries for a system ever (and still being added to as I write this). It has been slow but I'll bet that the RPGs, FPS, driving sims etc are coming. Rathet gives you some great platforming/shooting for now and is an example of what will come.

I can understand the disappointment but I actually see light at the end of the tunnel which I couldn't say before.

Hey, if you have a 60 Gig unit I am in the market for one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 09:45 AM

Hah, I dunno, I still think considering the market, the PS3 needs to be pumping a lot more good titles. The 360 did better in its first year IMHO and it had no competition...
I'll let you know, I may actually get rid of it since I don't game on it and no longer need it as a BD player since my HTPC is going to be used for that.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Hah, I dunno, I still think considering the market, the PS3 needs to be pumping a lot more good titles. The 360 did better in its first year IMHO and it had no competition...
I don't think that 360 had very much in the way of good titles in the first year either. I only started to like it when Gears of War came out. Having had no competition would benefit the 360 not temper its sales.

If you look at the graphs here you will see that the sales amount and curve for the PS3 in its first year basically is identical to the 360's first year and yet the 360 had no current gen competition and the PS3 has 2 competitors. I definitely agree that the state of exclusive PS3 titles (along with price) has hurt PS3 sales, but the last couple are starting to swing that selection around and 2008 will see some other decent ones come out.

P.S. I am not even going to get into the mutant sales that is the Wii.

Last edited by calvin940; 2008-01-17 at 10:45 AM.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Yeah I've seen those graphs and they really do tell a lot. Most 360 fans want to write that type of information off but I think the PS3 has a pretty decent chance at having a very successful year (and beyond 2008) in the gaming world.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 10:22 AM

The more interesting chart is the ongoing weekly one.

It shows that the PS3 and 360 have been essentially neck and neck for the last 9 months.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Hopefully you're right Zoo, cause so far the PS3 has been a gaming disappointment for me as an owner of a 360 as well...
The Wii has been a big disappointment for me - but there's certainly no correlation to my experience and its market success!

I wonder if your perception of the PS3 is similar to mine of the Wii?

I bought both the Wii and PS3 in Dec 2006 - didn't buy the 360 because of RROD issues. At the time, I played both equally, Resistance and Wii Play. I bought many games for both (about 6-8 each) for the next 3 months. Aside from the ocassional Wii Play tennis, I couldn't get into any of the Wii games and my 11 year old son only played Zelda for a couple of weeks. I enjoyed the PS3 games more. As a result, I stopped buying wii games.

If a great multi-platform game comes out, I buy it for the PS3 (instead of the Wii). Even if the game is also available on the Wii, my perception is that is has no (exclusive) games I want to play. Why buy the same game on the Wii when I can get it in hi def on the PS3? (Yes I've bought Mario Galaxy and tried it).

If I had a 360 at the time I bought the PS3, I think I would have bought the 360 version of multi-platform games based on reviews of a couple of games which showed the smoother framerates for the 360. Even for games which were equal, I would have probably continued to buy the 360 version (out of habit?).

So my perception that the Wii has no games is really just based on my experience. The fact that I hooked on Guitar Hero 3 and that it's also available on the Wii does little to change that impression.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 11:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by normancw View Post
If I had a 360 at the time I bought the PS3, I think I would have bought the 360 version of multi-platform games based on reviews of a couple of games which showed the smoother framerates for the 360. Even for games which were equal, I would have probably continued to buy the 360 version (out of habit?).
For the moment, I would advise all people to avoid EA PS3 games at all cost (with the exception of Burnout: Paradise which is identical from reviews - developed by Criterion so likely not subject to ****ty EA dev tools). EA has been the sole studio to produce those crappy cross platform efforts.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 01:00 PM

Calv, your graph talks about hardware sales though. You gotta look at game sales, that's what I'm saying. I think the 360 had better games in its first year than the PS3 does.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Calv, your graph talks about hardware sales though. You gotta look at game sales, that's what I'm saying. I think the 360 had better games in its first year than the PS3 does.
Your post had "360 did better in its first year" so I had took that to mean hardware sales.

I certainly can't dispute that 360's software sales in the first year would have been higher than the PS3's first year (partially because I believe it to be true, but also I don't have access to data to prove/disprove). I think the titles that were out probably did appeal to a broader range of people 360 folks. But having no competition definitely would have positively contributed to that advantage as well.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 05:08 PM

Sorry, should have been clearer with my comment, I basically meant they had better games in the first year of release, and essentially 'did better'. But ya, no competition might have had something to do with it, but you'd think Sony would have taken that into account. But hey, Sony IMHO has been dropping the ball often from a gaming stand point with the PS3.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 07:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
But hey, Sony IMHO has been dropping the ball often from a gaming stand point with the PS3.
Yup, from first to worst. They had everything going for them and bam they mucked it up right at the their starters pistol. We'll see what happens next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in