NextGen Consoles as your MEDIA CENTER, how good are they? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 07:25 PM
Veteran

It's known Windows does not recognize the PS3 by name, like it does with the Xbox. You're only supposed to know the PS3 by the Mac address. Lots of good info on the playstation boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 10:05 PM

jcol, your Linksys 54 router should work if it is supports WRT software. My Linksys router 54GL works well and runs DD-WRT firmware. Also, works is my Belkin Pre-N router.

When I first set up the DLNA server, it worked like a charm. Now all my PCs and laptop can stream to our PS3 for music.

Awesome!

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 12:22 PM

Thanks lawman, is WRT third party firmware that I have seen available for the Linksys router? If it is I did try some of those. My Linksys always worked OK, however as my home network got larger it started having problems. I'm running 3 laptops wireless, 2 wired computers (one XP and one Vista), two PS3's (one wired and one wireless) and my cell phone/pda which has wifi. We started having alot of drop outs and lock ups when two or more wireless devices were on, this got much worse when we added the first wireless PS3. We put up with it but with the WarHawk problems and the WMP problems we thought it was time to retire it and get a different router. I had used the Linksys for 3 years and it was around $70. In hind sight I think some of my problems might have been solved by changing the "filter multicast" setting but I don't think I knew about that setting and it's affect. The D-Link went in and worked with minimal tweaking. It immediately solved our lockups and as I mentioned the PS3 and the Vista computer started to work together. It also is signficantly faster for downloads. Don't know why, but my internet download speed tests always came back at around 2 MB/sec with the Linksys, but with the D-link I started seeing much better download speeds; the tests come back at around 3 Mb/sec. Now either my ISP changed something at the same time that I switched routers or the D-link is simply faster. Either way thanks for your suggestion. My old Linksys is now at my friends house dealing with one wired and 2 wireless laptops and it is working fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in