NextGen Consoles as your MEDIA CENTER, how good are they? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

ya the skidoo is nice, the wii is nicer when i got like 120 games..... don't ask..

and a question about TVersity, if you had HD avi's on the computer, with a ps3 hooked up via LAN cable, would the TVersity decod play and send the data to the ps3? or does it send the raw data to the ps3 to decode like windows media center does? If so, then there was no need for the divx update to the ps3, if TVersity does it all and sends it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 06:19 PM

I've streamed DivX movies to both my 360 and PS3 from a wireless laptop. My 360 is wired, and my PS3 is wireless. Both run just fine I'd say, it's just when trying to FF it's not that fast on the PS3 since everything is wireless, seems better on the 360, but also the 360 has the advantage of skipping a block of time with the triggers. I would give the 360 the slight advantage though as it will play a few more file types that the PS3 won't (ie: MOV, HD WMV), but they are equally upto the job of decoding the majority of DivX content.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 07:49 PM
Veteran

What would make the PS3 really sweet would be a bittorrent client right in XMB. They were on the right track with DLNA support, but unfortuantely my Mac doesn't support it.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 03:47 AM

99semaj, I just bit the bullet and paid for EyeConnect ($50). It works great.

I have mostly Apple Lossless in my iTunes folder and CR2 RAW files in my iPhoto folder, neither of which can be used on the PS3 directly. EyeConnect transcodes all of them on the fly and now, I can access all my photos and songs on my PS3. I have created a folder on an external 1TB drive for video so my DiVX/XViD and MPG files work now too.

Well worth the money. They have a 30 day demo as well.

Panasonic PT-AE3000 | Denon AVR-3808CI | 6.1 Energy C3 | BEV 9242, 9200 Sat/PVR | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV | Harmony One
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

NextGen Consoles as your MEDIA CENTER, how good are they?

Wondering about using a ps3 or xbox360 as my media center to my 50inch panny plasma. Im I correct to assume that I can do away with DVDr's and stream my divx files directly to the gamemachines and play them flawlessly? I don't want to buy one of these machines and end up still burning all my divx movies because of sub par results. thanks.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:24 PM

I've got a PS3, and even though it occasionally chokes on a DivX/XviD file (usually w/ odd resolutions), I'm really happy with it. If you're running TVersity or something similar you'll have no problems at all. I used to have to burn all the movie files I stored on my computer so being able to bypass that is great. And the quality of the upconversion is top notch. I was using an Oppo HD971 for DivX playback and the PS3 bests it by a fairly wide margin. Of course, on a 50 inch screen you're definitely going to see the limitations of DivX.
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 12:53 AM
Veteran

The problem with these systems is they can't play back mkv files properly. But for divx files, you'll be okay. But there will be some fiddling around to get it going.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 01:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
Wondering about using a ps3 or xbox360 as my media center to my 50inch panny plasma. Im I correct to assume that I can do away with DVDr's and stream my divx files directly to the gamemachines and play them flawlessly? I don't want to buy one of these machines and end up still burning all my divx movies because of sub par results. thanks.
I stream to both 360 and PS3 (both wired). Both support the Divx well and since Divx itself supports most recently encoded xvids, many of those play as well.

I have noticed a couple that play in the 360 that came up incompatible on the PS3, but those were odd rez ones as well. I am slightly happier with the PS3 controls for Divx playback. It has a 1.5x FF which actually plays the stream quickly and you can still hear the chimpmunk audio. Great for getting to the right spot. The faster levels of FF as good and fast and I find it updates the picture frame well so I can tell where I want to stop fairly well.

On the 360, I find all the levels of FF on the too jumpy and inconsistent (sometimes the picture is static even tho 25 or 30 seconds have passed in the FF) and it's very hard to tell where you want to stop. The 360 does have a big jump option tho that skips like increments of 5 minutes or so which the PS3 doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
The problem with these systems is they can't play back mkv files properly. But for divx files, you'll be okay. But there will be some fiddling around to get it going.
I have created a program which will remux mkv with x264 video and AC3 audio to a vob file which is playable on the sony ps3.
No transcoding/recompression is done, the streams are simply split and mux into the vob.
Previously there was no way to get AC3 audio on the ps3, only AAC stereo.

This guy has been working on this stuff and making improvements steadily. As for fiddling, haven't had to fiddle at all to get any DiVX going on either machine. I use the same Windows Media Player 11 box and it's used to stream to either my 360 or PS3.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 01:57 PM
Veteran

I'm surprised at the lack of homebrew for the PS3. Maybe everyone is waiting for it to hit a critical mass, I dunno. You can install your own OS on the PS3 which you would think would make your options limitless but very few groups have tackled the PS3 from what I have read.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:56 PM
Veteran

The problem with mkv2vob and other options is that you seem to have to choose between getting 5.1 sound, or REW and FWD capabilities. You can't get both.

It doesn't affect me because my computer is hooked up directly to my home theater. So I just need to double-click the file. But it would be cool if the streaming could be done right.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

So id be better off building a home theater computer system. at least I can play HD divx which is what I want.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 08:01 PM
pwm

Unhappy If you have a PS3 working with WMP11, I'd love to talk.

I got a 40GB PS3 on Friday, and I've been trying to get it to see my Vista PC, to no avail. In WMP11 I've set media sharing on, Network media sharing is on, and "allow new devices automatically" is on and I can see the "unknown device" which is my PS3. Its MAC address confirms that. But when I do a "search for media servers" on the PS3, all I get is "no media servers found".
I've disabled my software firewall, tried Upnp both on and off, re-booted numerous times, etc.

The PS3 connected to my network automatically when I powered it up. It's a Ethernet LAN. My DHCP router served up a dynamic IP address for the PS3 and it can access the Internet with no problem. I upgraded to rev 2.10 first thing. I can ping the PS3's IP address from both my other 2 PCs.

I've spent many hours browsing internet sites and reading up on this but now I've pretty much run out of things to try.

If anyone has this working, I have a couple of questions:

1). Do you see the PS3 on your network, and if so what is its hostname?
2). What changes did you make to your router settings?
3). What software firewall are you running and what did you change?
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 08:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwm View Post

I have an XP machine running WMP11 explicitly sharing a folder I designated for vids and music. This share is available to both my PS3 and 360. Both consoles see my XP media sharing device and can see the files (and stream from it).

1) What do you mean "see"? In WMP11 is shows up as unknown device, but I allow it. I can also ping the PS3 from the XP media server.

2) No router changes are necessary since media sharing traffic is not going outside of your network.

3) Windows firewall on my PC and I made no manual changes. I believe that when you install WMP it makes the necessary firewall exceptions.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwm View Post

1) Same as Calvin above - WMP11 is shows up as unknown device, but I allow it. I can also ping the PS3 from the XP media server.

2) I had to enable UPnP (universal plug and play) on your router. If this is enabled, you can go into the PS3 to run a connection test (Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test).

You should get the following (good) results:
  • UPnP: Available
  • NAT Type: Type 2
I was getting this with my old router (D-Link DI-624), but when I replaced it with a new Linksys WRT350N router (which is supposed to support UPnP) I got the following (bad) results:
  • UPnP: Not Available
  • NAT Type: Type 3
After reading that UPnP is a problem on these Linksys routers (even with the latest firmware), I replaced this with a D-Link DIR-655 N router, which properly suppports UPnP and this problem went away.

3) I had problems with the Norton Personal Firewall (using default settings), that comes with the Rogers Yahoo Online Protection. I could not get the WMP 11 media server on my firewall discovered until I disabled the Norton firewall. I have since disabled it and am running Windows firewall instead - now my WMP 11 media servers can be seen by the PS3.

If anyone has this working with Norton Personal Firewall, I would be interested in their settings.

Good luck.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Try TVersity instead of WMP11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in