PS3 and 4:3 Tvs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

PS3 and 4:3 Tvs

Just wondering if anyone can help me? I have an older Toshiba 1080i tv with a 4:3 screen (it has 2 component inputs, no HDMIs). I have my HD PVR and my DVD/receiver into them, which displays these in letterboxed form. I got a PS3 for Xmas, and now I'm screwed. I disconnected the DVD to use the PS3, thinking I could use the PS3 to play all my DVDs (I don't have any Blu-Ray yet). In my settings, I got the games outputing 1080i letterboxed, but DVD playback is distorted. Its still letterboxed, but the edges of the screen are missing and the video is stretched top to bottom longer than it should, almost like the first generation letterbox, close yet not right. Does PS3 automatically assume anything 1080 is 16:9? If anyone can help that would be great.

On another note, does anyone know if the reverse-splitting optical audio into one input ever gets confused or has any other drawbacks. My DVD/receiver sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 07:19 PM

PS3 and 4:3 Tvs

I have a 1080i 4:3 Panasonic and an Xbox 360. In order for DVDs to display properly (480P letterboxed), I need to switch the 360 to output in 480P 4:3 (not widescreen), and then the movie shows up fine. I then switch it back to 1080i when done.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:15 AM
Rookie

I am also having the same problem with my Samsung 4:3 TV. I also have the problem with it stretching games as well in 1080i. Sony tech support tells me its my tv. They also said that PS3 automatically assumes 16:9 in 1080i. Weird thing is Blu-Ray is fine? This has been driving me crazy for 3 weeks now trying to find a solution. Also can't figure out why this doesn't happen with my 360? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:33 AM
Rookie

I was also wondering if anyone else has a problem when you leave your PS3 in 1080i and turn it off, when I turn it back on the tv screen is all snowy for quite some time before the menu comes up? I assume the TV is having trouble with the signal?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des12 View Post
I was also wondering if anyone else has a problem when you leave your PS3 in 1080i and turn it off, when I turn it back on the tv screen is all snowy for quite some time before the menu comes up? I assume the TV is having trouble with the signal?
My PS3 is always in 1080i mode and is always off until I use it. I haven't had any such issue with display. I am using a projector.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks Calvin. I suspect this is only a problem on older 4:3 TV's, or maybe just mine. It's a 53" Samsung Tantus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in