Blu Ray on PSP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Blu Ray on PSP

Blu-Rays Go Portable
Hi-def movies copied to PSPs and memory sticks.
by Jeff Haynes
January 7, 2008 - Now, your Blu-ray library can follow you wherever you go. According to an article from PC World, Sony demonstrated the ability to insert a Blu-ray movie into a PS3 and then transfer a copy of that movie to a PSP or a Memory Stick at its booth at CES. Highlighted as the next level of disc copying, this was merely one part of the new "BD Live" functionality, which will include the ability to download ring tones and new content to BD Live players.

According to David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, "This way, you can have a portable copy you can take with you. There was always the promise of greater interactivity. You'll see that coming in the new year."

We tried to contact SCEA, but they were unavailable for comment at the time of publication of this article. While there was no estimated time that consumers would see this new function, it could make 2008 a very entertaining year for PSP and PS3 users, and further strengthen Blu-ray in the format war.

Article from: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/843/843979p1.html

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:37 PM

That's cool. It would make me love my PSP even more than I do now .
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:38 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Maybe then they can issue yet another revamped PSP, this time without a UMD drive.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:45 PM
Member #1

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question... You can transfer a DVD movie to your PSP today so what's the big deal?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:47 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
My guess is that if you plug in the PSP to another PS3, you will be able to watch in full HD on the display that the PS3 is connected to. But that's just a guess.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll ask the obvious question... You can transfer a DVD movie to your PSP today so what's the big deal
Most PC's will not have a Blu Ray drive, so you will not be able to convert the disk with PSPVideo (or whatever)

Quote:
My guess is that if you plug in the PSP to another PS3, you will be able to watch in full HD on the display that the PS3 is connected to. But that's just a guess
I highly doubt it as a small BluRay is 25GB, it will definately be compressed to play on the PSP
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Okay, I'll ask the obvious question... You can transfer a DVD movie to your PSP today so what's the big deal?
I haven't bought a new DVD in a long time, but I have plenty of new Blu-ray movies.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
To me, it seems to be more about simplicity. To rip a DVD and then convert it is more hassle than just hooking up your PSP to your PS3.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 02:24 AM
Veteran

From what I read it will be a 1GB copy, 1GB seems like a great copy for size of the PSP screen. Possibly even overkill. There will be DRM I imagine. Not sure how it will be implemented but an article I read mentions limited the # of copies you can transfer. Not real sure how that's gonna pan out. For a 1GB file size and a 8GB memory stick it's pretty obvious you would change the contents of the stick often. Personally I hold out hope that Sony will do it's best to make it a real managed copy that doesn't screw the honest user.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 12:58 PM
Veteran

This would be a huge bonus. It is a pain to rip then convert a DVD to PSP format but I find it very useful during trips like I just took with the family. Watched Goblet of Fire again and sets me up to watch Order of the Phoenix this weekend.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 01:04 PM
Veteran

I could probably see myself using this feature on occasion. Often I am pulling out my laptop on planes and such to play movies and whatnot. Being able to do this with movies from my BD lib could be a decent enough feature.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:30 PM
Veteran

I question if they would actually do a rip from the existing Blu-Ray copy or if they would have a seperate file for it. IE will my existing collection work with the new ability?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzpayne View Post
I question if they would actually do a rip from the existing Blu-Ray copy or if they would have a seperate file for it. IE will my existing collection work with the new ability?
Since it is a Profile 2.0 feature (and requires the title to be a 2.0 title), I suspect they include a UMD release on the blu-ray (sans UMD

I doubt that the rip could be done and transferred that quickly.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Smart money on Sony killing off UMD. PSP would make for a great digital distribution model. Also makes for a thinner,lighter and longer lasting PSP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in