Warner's Goes BR, Effect on Gaming? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 04:53 PM

How can anyone say WB's decision have no impact on the PS3? Because I just picked one up...and it's deffinetly not for gaming, all the really good ones are on my 360.

Samsung 58B650-Toshiba A30-Yamaha YSP4000 YSTFSW100-Elite 360-BEV 9242-6100-H 880 - PS3 40GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 05:09 PM
Veteran

It's going to have a sizable short term impact and a minor long term one as prices of players drop lower and lower.

There's always going to be people that see the value of the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player that just happens to play games and has wireless etc. It's unobtrusive, it's black and it's quiet. Disapears in most any AV rack.
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 08:22 PM
Veteran

I think the Bluray situation will definitely have an effect on people who are making a purchase now, and who have a home theatre setup and would care for hi def DVD viewing.

For the average kid who wants to play games with their friends, Bluray means nothing.

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeskie View Post
How can anyone say WB's decision have no impact on the PS3? Because I just picked one up...and it's deffinetly not for gaming, all the really good ones are on my 360.
Well, the title of this thread is the "effect on gaming" and you just proved that it has no effect because you didn't buy the PS3 for gaming .
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 10:49 AM

^ There we're a couple posts mentioning that WB's decision wouldn't have anyone buy a PS3 for that reason alone. Well, I'm living proof of that. That's deffinetly not on a large scale, but still counts. As to your statement about the OP, that's correct.

I guess we are agreeing but you felt the need to mention it.

Samsung 58B650-Toshiba A30-Yamaha YSP4000 YSTFSW100-Elite 360-BEV 9242-6100-H 880 - PS3 40GB
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Well, the title of this thread is the "effect on gaming" and you just proved that it has no effect because you didn't buy the PS3 for gaming .
The title is such because the OP questions are that of how will this move effect the sales of PS3 units which in turn affects the overall install base of consoles in the home and thus asks if that will start to have developers doing more on the PS3 now that there are more in the home. So the effect on gaming could be substantial if a) Blu becomes the winner b) people buy the PS3 as their Blu-ray player and end up buying games (even occasionally).
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 02:26 PM

Don't you think that game developers right NOW are trying their best to create the one must have game for the PS3 to make it rocket to the top? You don't think that Sony would like to get Gran Turismo 5 (in development for over 3 years) out as soon as possible?

There's no doubt that many people buy PS3s for the Blu-ray player only and have no interest in games at all, just as Joeskie has demonstrated. And I'm sure that WB's announcement will have some people who have have been sitting out the format war jump in by buying a PS3.

But I highly doubt that there will be a large impact on gaming just because people who not interesting in gaming have bought a PS3--frankly, they will only make up a very small percentage. Besides, they're not interested in gaming.

So, the effect of WB's announcement on actual gaming? Minimal.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Don't you think that game developers right NOW are trying their best to create the one must have game for the PS3 to make it rocket to the top? You don't think that Sony would like to get Gran Turismo 5 (in development for over 3 years) out as soon as possible?

There's no doubt that many people buy PS3s for the Blu-ray player only and have no interest in games at all, just as Joeskie has demonstrated. And I'm sure that WB's announcement will have some people who have have been sitting out the format war jump in by buying a PS3.
You aren't seeing the bigger picture when you are factoring this. This is not about people currently making titles for the PS3. This is about other dev shops reconsidering the PS3 platform as viable due to its increased install base. There are plenty of companies who have bucked the PS3 exclusivity and developed cross platform because of the fear the PS3 won't sell well. There are other shops that went 360 exclusive for that reason. The question is whether the increased install base that may happen due to a Blu-ray win (if it occurs) would prompt those dev shops to either reconsider adding PS3 back to the multiplatform dev or even going PS3 exclusive.

I don't have the answer to that, but to dismiss it is to incorrectly ignore a potential factor.
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The question is whether the increased install base that may happen due to a Blu-ray win (if it occurs) would prompt those dev shops to either reconsider adding PS3 back to the multiplatform dev or even going PS3 exclusive.
The game houses are going to look at the total number of consoles and the attach rate for games to decide what platforms to support.

Right now both of those numbers are very clearly tilted in the 360s favour.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 03:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Right now both of those numbers are very clearly tilted in the 360s favour.
Yup. Right now. That's why we are talking about the potential impact of the Warner switch and if it leads to Blu-ray win and a potential increase in PS3 sales down the road.
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:01 PM

It might sell a few hundred thousand extra PS3s next year.

They are several million units behind the 360 so as far as gaming goes it's not going to matter.
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
It might sell a few hundred thousand extra PS3s next year.
Yup. Probably likely. If that's not the case though, it would still be hard to tell anyhow what percentage are due to Blu-ray and which are strictly gaming.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Chicken or the egg? Can't sell a console without games. Sony has a real decent shot of catching MS. Yes the 360 is in the lead but it's also dragging a couple of anchors with it, namely reliability issues with the consoles and as of late Xbox Live problems. Also Xbox is a NA console. Pretty much the rest of the planet is PS. If MGS4 lives up the hype I look forward to it's sales both of the software and of consoles.
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:21 PM

^^ you sure about that? The few times I played passed midnight there were tons of english (from England) and quite a few other languages I could not understand and actually never heard before.
I'm sure Japan is all ps3, but to say the rest of the world is a strech. I would like to see some numbers though.

BTW, I do play games. I play all my games on my 360, I just picked up a ps3 but I surely won't go making a new collection of games or si-axis controllers...

I will however need an HDMI switch. Is there a poll for that?
"Warners goes BR, Effect on HDMI Switches sales?"

post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 04:22 PM
Veteran

It is intersting to note that the if you look at the graphs you will see that the sales amount and curve for the PS3 in its first year basically is identical to the 360's first year and yet the 360 had absolutely no current gen competition and the PS3 has 2 competitors. It's not doing as bad as people's perceptions.

As for catching the 360, I can't imagine what would transpire for such a thing to be possible (even if blu-ray wins AND the PS3 were to be viewed as the ideal blu-ray player - only if all the other players went away )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in