Game resolutions and my old hdtv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Post Game resolutions and my old hdtv

Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been asked a million times but here's my situation.

I have a 7 yr old 56" Toshiba rear projection HDTV and have recently purchased a PS3. I bought it mainly for the Blu Ray movie capability but would like to get a few games for it too. Trouble is my set only does 1080i through component video, there are no HDMI inputs (wasn't out that long ago) and it seems most games are 720P which my set cannot display. Granted there are some games that do all 3 HD formats of 720P, 1080i and 1080P, but they are few and far between. Am I stuck using 480P for the games that are 720 or will the PS3 convert them to 1080i somehow?? Or worse will I not be able to display the 720 games at all??

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 07:59 AM
Rookie

I would assume the PS3 does the same as the Xbox 360 and scales the game to whatever your output setting is. So set the console to 1080i and it should output that regardless of the games actual resolution.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Just set the PS3's output to 1080i and it will scale any video source to that resolution. In the main PS3 menu go to Settings-->Display Settings, and then check that 1080i is selected as the resolution.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Set the PS3 to whatever res you want and it'll auto scale stuff to that resolution. You don't need to worry.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Red face

Well that is great news if what you say is true, opens up a bunch of games I actually want to play instead of making sure they have 1080i support on the back of the package.

I tell ya' it's tough being an older gamer. In my ignorance I bought Warhawk today and failed to grasp that it is only a multiplayer online game. I unfortunatley do not have high speed internet yet and can't play this title on my set-up. Guess I'll have to sell it at EB Games or Rogers Video or something. Many thanks for your help with my original post.

Cheers,

Steve
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 09:15 AM
Rookie

Hi Steve,

I'm with you... I rented Warhawk (I bought my PS3 for the same reason you did, Blu).

After half an hour of running, flying and driving around by myself, I figured it was an online game only... don't feel too bad.

My 'old' Toshiba CRT displays the PS3's 1080i output beautifully, but fortunately, my set has HDMI.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Hi again Steve,

As I am definitely not an avid (or slightly competant) gamer, I picked up 'Splinter Cell - Double Agent' at Best Buy for $20 on sale this week.

That will give you a nice PS3 game to play with on the cheap.

The graphics are amazing. A great test for your display.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks filper, misery loves company. :-) A friend of mine has high speed wireless internet so I'm going to give the game to him and see if his connection is fast enough to play online. If not, I guess I'll be trading it in and get what money out of it I can. Gotta love wasting $50. Thanks for the game suggestion, I have played Call of Duty 4 and it is very entertaining too. Best Buy & Future Shop have been so ridiculously busy the last 4 days I haven't bought anything else, didn't want to wait in line for an hour to get through the till.

Cheers,

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in