Assassin's Creed - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-16, 03:12 PM
Veteran

One of the Penny Arcade guys chimed in about the complaints some reviewers had about AC. His point was that reviewers need to finish a game and get to the next one, and that AC would be an annoying game to review if played in that fashion. If one played it normally, and did side quests etc, that annoyance factor is not there.

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-16, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If Assassin's Creed actually was a 7.0 game I'd tell you..
Please. It's also only just his opinion. It's pretty presumptuous of an individual to think that he is the only one that knows how to review games.

I happen to like the game myself (played it at a friend's house) so I'll be picking this one up on the weekend, but nevertheless, it's his holier than thou attitude that grinds me. If all reviewers agreed on everything and had the same perspective, there would be need for only one reviewer and would only really represent a very small percentage of the real world. People like different things for different reasons, so I'll take all the input and make my own decision there Gabe.

Cal
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 02:54 AM

this game makes me wonder how awesome the next Edler Scrolls game will be

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioneo View Post
One of the Penny Arcade guys chimed in about the complaints some reviewers had about AC. His point was that reviewers need to finish a game and get to the next one, and that AC would be an annoying game to review if played in that fashion. If one played it normally, and did side quests etc, that annoyance factor is not there.
IVe always wondered this about reviews, given the pressure to get the review done quickly.

Makes sense.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 11:01 AM
Jay

In french, a great article on the creator of Assasin's Creed and his love of theater:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...42/6821/CPARTS
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 02:37 PM

Finished the game last night. Now I am no game reviewer but I have to agree with some of the criticisms of this game. While the game is absolutely beautiful and the story is great, the gameplay IS repetitive in terms of advancing the story. You do the same 3-4 objectives 8 times. That's it. I know, all games are repetitive in a sense. However, for a game this big, there really is not very much to do. The last hour or two changed things up a little bit, which I was thankful for. Negatives aside, I'm very excited for the next game in this series (which the lackluster ending guarantees) because there is alot the developers got right. I thought the control scheme was brilliant. The free-run mechanic was probably the most fun part of the game for me. Once you got the hang of it, it felt almost like a rooftop driving game at times (hold RT + A and steer). In that sense, it took the Crackdown feel to a new level for me. As I already mentioned, I thought the story was pretty good; the way cutscenes are used is a bit different but I quite liked it. I could go on about things I liked or disliked but this is a game you have to play for yourself. It's very innovative in many ways, but kind of boring in others. This game has re-ignited my interest for the next Splinter Cell, especially if they use similar control techniques. Also, the obvious sequel for AC could see us playing in a VERY different environment (no spoilers) which has me excited as well. At least rent this game.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-20, 01:49 PM
Member #1

PS3 fix today (v2.0.1) said to fix some freezing issues in this game. THe other workaround is to keep the Information Board disabled on the Cross Media Bar.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-20, 01:52 PM

I really want to play AC but there have seriously been to many games that have come out. It pained me not to take advantage of the bestbuy deal (AC and COD4 for $90) but these past few months have been crazy: Bioshock, Halo 3, Orange Box, Super Mario Galaxy and now Mass Effect.

Out of that list the only one I have beaten is halo3.

Damn work and family taking up my valuable playing time
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-22, 01:49 PM

I give the game a 9. The combination of jumping off towers into hay bales and beating up beggars and crazy people on the street never gets boring or repetetive. You can even stab people too.

Hey you, yah you.
Come here! Go away.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 08:14 PM
Veteran

This game is sooooo addicting... I've lost track of time the last two nights.

I can see how could get repetitive after 8 assassinations, but I think if you do all the side stuff it certainly helps to keep the game a little fresher.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 01:40 PM

I have to add my voice to the chorus of praises for this game. I love it!

The ability to roam around freely gives a real sense of how vast the environment is. As well, unlike most games where you can only climb on particular structures at predetermined points in the game, with AC you can scale just about any building or structure around. I know it may be old hat to the hard core gamers, but I never seem to tire of perching atop a tower and getting that cinematic 360 camera pan of the city below and then doing the leap of faith into a hay bale.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBane View Post
I can see how could get repetitive after 8 assassinations, but I think if you do all the side stuff it certainly helps to keep the game a little fresher.
I like the game. I am 6 assassinations into it. I keep myself at one assassination a night and that helps with any repetition issues I might have had. I had it lock up on me once, but outside of that it was fine. It was kinda neat because the environmental stuff was still going (clouds moving overhead affecting the light and sound) but I (and everything else) was frozen. I could still move the camera around so it was like a bit of a matrixy thing. I wasn't logged in nor had the bar activated.

Anyway, it's a good game. Quite enjoyable.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 02:15 AM

question: i'm on, i think, the last kill: Robert. anyways, if i kill him, can i still continue to complete the sidequests, as in rescues + viewpoints? or will that be it for the Animus?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-11-30, 01:28 PM

I'm about 6 hours into this game and am in the poor part of Damascus - memory block 2. I really don't like the game. Just a lot of silly running around, hearing the same calls for help, mashing the X button. Blah.

I will keep at it for a while longer, to see if I can discover what just about everyone else in this forum has found. I remain skeptical though.

Maybe this just isn't the game for me.

gaCk | Mississauga, Ontario | Hitachi 46F500 | SA 8000HD | Harmony 659 | Mission Speakers
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 12:04 PM
Veteran

Got this game for x-mas, and have been playing it along with a few others since then.

I think I'm on Memory Block 4 now. With the new fighting techniques I have learned, combat is always exciting and I imagine there are more moves still to come.

If I was trying to grind this game out I could see how the repetitive nature of the game would affect the experience. Like another poster mentioned, I usually end up only doing one assassination per gaming session (since I always have to climb up every view-point and do every side mission). That pace helps keep the game interesting.

When I reached memory block 3 I turned off all the HUD stuff. I think this is how the game should be played. You can use <select> to quickly bring up the map, but aside from those "find the flags" missions I don't have any need for the HUDs and the clutter they bring to the screen.

I really hate those annoying beggar women that get in your way. I figured out an easy (non-lethal) way to get rid of them - draw your sword. They take off screaming after only a few seconds. If you sheath it again right away the guards won't even get alerted.

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in