Uncharted PS3 Demo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Uncharted PS3 Demo

The Uncharted Demo is up on the PS store, and it looks and plays great.

Gord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 09:26 PM
Veteran

I know! I am downloading it now. I am super psyched to try this puppy out.

Cal
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 10:50 AM
Veteran

This game is pretty awesome if the demo is any indication. It has platform elements while be an adventure with combat and shooting mechanics. I played it on hard so the guys are tougher to kill than one might expect, but I don't mind it (I hear the other levels of difficulty are what you'd expect.

I find the targeting and cover/shoot stuff works well. I also like the hanging from walls and jumping to another location and also targeting while hanging is cool. The enemies definitely do have tactics. Some will just starting running around towards you and end up flanking while others provide some cover fire distraction.

The demo was a lot of fun and I will be picking this game up. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys these types of games.

Cal

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 12:45 PM

From the pictures, it reminds me of an Indiana Jones type game. I'll have to d/l the demo and see if it appeals to me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 06:35 PM

I love the demo. This is exactly what Ive been wanting...a great action adventure game. A must buy for me!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Definitely my kind of game. Kind of a Gears of War platformer.

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-10, 01:10 AM

Gears of the Lost Ark.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-10, 01:14 AM

I was having a nice walk in the forest, admiring the high detail of the Cell-rendered waterfalls and foliage, and then people started shooting at me. I must have a defective copy ...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-10, 01:26 AM

Am I the only one here who was underwhelmed and frankly bored by this demo? I hope this demo is not indicative of the entire game.

The FMV at the start was painful to look at (check out their teeth and tell me it looks right). The enemy AI was predictable and I didn't find the cover system all that great.

Drake has a great advertising campaign behind it, but this game might not even register as a rental for me. There's so many great games this fall/winter that I can't waste time and money on poor ones.

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-10, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prufrock View Post
Am I the only one here who was underwhelmed and frankly bored by this demo?
Apparently, yes. However, I'm sure the usual suspects will be along shortly...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 11:15 AM

I dl'd the trailer video, but haven't played the demo. But as now, I basically agree with prufrock. Parts of it look cool, but it seems to have this dis-jointed feel to it.

This is one thing I've noticed with this and most others of the "next-gen" crop of games (heavenly sword, folklore, GRAW), is that character movement is so freaking clunky. Movements are too precise... characters move along, then "shift 10d left, as instructed by your controller" , or run and stop on a dime. Way too precise. I guess I was expecting a shift to more fluidity in movement akin to real world physics.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Movements are too precise... characters move along, then "shift 10d left, as instructed by your controller" , or run and stop on a dime. Way too precise. I guess I was expecting a shift to more fluidity in movement akin to real world physics.
You really need to play the game/demo to form a solid opinion. Trailers tell you very little about how a game feels.

As for the physics and whatnot, this isn't that type of game. Go Crysis, HL2, COD4, etc if that's what you are looking for. This is more of a puzzle, platformer, with combat and shooting.. more tomb raider-ish than what you speak of.

Hopefully I'll have finished Ratchet and Clank and HS by the time this comes out or it will have to wait. This time of year has waay too many good games coming out.

Cal
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by calvin940
Quote:
You really need to play the game/demo to form a solid opinion. Trailers tell you very little about how a game feels.
Fair enough... My opinion of Heavenly Sword was higher after trying the demo.

But with Uncharted, I don't know. Its strange, but the trailer actually doesn't make me want to download the demo and try it.

But I`ll give it a shot. Actually my wife might go for it more than me. She leans to puzzles-platformers but likes RFOM. Me...I just like to blow stuff up.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I found the controls to be pretty forgiving, especially when jumping from one platform to another. I tried facing the opposite direction from where I wanted to jump to, then quickly pressed up and jump. The character turned around and jumped in one fluid animation, grabbed onto the ledge and then pulled himself up. Like Calvin said, you have to download it and give it a shot.

Gord
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-11-12, 07:36 AM

I downloaded the demo expecting a Tomb Raider style game, ya know puzzles, trying to figure out the best route etc, but the getting shot at over and over got boring really fast to me. I know I am not the greatest gamer but even the easy setting I found hard, and lastly the hints where it tells you where to go I found useless especially getting to the one place where the door is not available and you have to climb up and get through the top entrance, I got confused in trying to find a way to get up there, gave up and deleted it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in