PS3 Firmware 2.0 Update now available - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

PS3 Firmware 2.0 Update now available

The firmware page has not been updated yet so there is not a lot of information about it. But it is available now from the PS3s System Update menu.

It looks like in-game XMB didn't make the cut but we do get themes (yawn...I mean YAY!). Sorting music via playlists and sorting photos as well.

Panasonic PT-AE3000 | Denon AVR-3808CI | 6.1 Energy C3 | BEV 9242, 9200 Sat/PVR | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV | Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 02:33 AM
Veteran

Wow, you can actually group games now!!

Select a game and press Triangle
Select "Information"
Then select "Album" and type in a name
A new folder with the Album name will be created (you have to enable it by pressing Square)

This makes me VERY happy. Now I have a "PSN" folder with my purchased games, and "Unknown" for everything else.

Happy Gord!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Is this a large download?

Last night, I was going to apply the upgrade before trying COD4. Two minutes into the DL, the progress bar hadn't hit 1% yet.

Perhaps it was my connection at the time.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 02:54 PM

Mine hit 20% after about 10 seconds just now, so yeah might be a traffic issue.

I have 100 mbit conection though
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 04:13 PM

I got lucky...right in the morning, took about 15 mins to perform the full upgrade.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 04:24 PM
Member #1

Guess I'll update tonight! Thanks Powerkey for the news.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 04:46 PM
Veteran

After talking with some people with knowledge of the PS3 system and FW architecture I was informed that actually in-game XMB already is possible with the current fw (and a few revisions back - although I don't know how far). Apparently, this ability needs to be imeplemented on a game by game bases (implementing interfaces, methods, handling game stoppage, etc).

The folks that I spoke with also pointed to this Japanese game that is available on PSN for that region that can be downloaded and played with the current fw. It shows that those hooks are present but the game needs to tie into them in order for users to have that access in a particular game. Hopefully game companies can start to implement this stuff soon for more friends access functionality but the implementation of these methods.interfaces aren't mandatory for game developers so only those who choose to provide/support it will have this functionality.

Cal
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 06:23 PM
Veteran

What on earth is that game? Gotta love the Japanese

I'm pretty happy with the 2.0 update.

Gord
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 01:22 PM

Don't expect XMB access through games until Home comes out next spring. Same with any updates to the stores layout. Call it a hunch .

Oh and XMB access through games was actually shown ( as in working 100%) well before the PS3 launched at a trade show or somthing I can't remember which one sorry to say.

I still have to d/l 2.0 myself this weekend. This themes thing sounds really cool too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 01:28 PM
Veteran

I downloaded 2.0 last night. The PSN entry at the top is nice. I didn't really notice much else yet.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 01:31 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Some New features: remotely start your PS3 using an Internet-enabled PSP; access real-time PlayStation news in a scrolling window via the new Information Board; the addition of custom themes to personalize the Cross Media Bar; the ability to create music and photo playlists.
here is a good overview from daily tech.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2261 View Post
Oh and XMB access through games was actually shown ( as in working 100%) well before the PS3 launched at a trade show or somthing I can't remember which one sorry to say.
I know. It was here and that's what got people interested in it, but it never showed. But after talking to some folks, it made sense why it hasn't been seen much since.

Cal
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 02:04 PM

Ah thanks Cal.

I always thought it wasn't implemented was because devs were still learning the PS3 but I'm no techy so any idea why Sony has left it out so far?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-09, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2261 View Post
Ah thanks Cal.

I always thought it wasn't implemented was because devs were still learning the PS3 but I'm no techy so any idea why Sony has left it out so far?
If you check out my post a couple above your other post, I talked about my chat with someone who knows a bit about the PS3.

Cal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in