No price cuts for Nintendo Wii - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

No price cuts for Nintendo Wii

I don't think its any surprise that Nintendo is maintaining its price this Christmas but here is a bit of a shocker. From this story.

Quote:
"We're still focusing on how to meet booming demand," Iwata said Friday. "We're absolutely not considering a price cut." He said Nintendo was ramping out 1.8 million Wii consoles per month but that a supply crunch was inevitable during the Christmas sales.
It's hard to believe that a year after it launched, supply is still a big issue!

Maybe they should raise the price!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 09:54 AM
Veteran

I think they are doing a good job keeping the supply/demand where it has been all year. It has worked out great for them. There is still enough of a perceived supply issue that people tend to snap them up whenever they see them. If you look at the total number of units sold it seems hard to believe there is a real issue though with supply.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 12:08 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I can see how you could argue that they should raise the price but I think with the demand they still have and the price they are maintaining, they will still be the top selling console for awhile yet.

They do have the 360 Arcade now for $299 but it doesn't come with WiFi built in.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 12:24 PM

They did raise the price and now dropped it so really the price is now the same as it was at release.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Thank goodness for the hot Canadian dollar then... some of the big box electronics stores have dropped their price $20 in the last few weeks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
They did raise the price and now dropped it so really the price is now the same as it was at release.
Not exactly. It was originally $280, then some big box stores did raise it $10 to $290, but now because of the strong dollar, they dropped it $20 to $270.

But all this only applies to Canadians. In the US, the price has always been $250, and according to this article, will stay that way.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

BTW, I was just joking about raising the price. My OP was really just one of amazement that the product can still be such a hot seller especially when 16 to 18 months ago, the Wii was the object of considerable derision!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 07:10 PM
Veteran

hugh, we knew you were just making a point. But you are right. The months prior to its release the Wii was scoffed at, mostly by hard core gaming types, who couldn't understand the new market that the Wii was creating among casual and non-traditional gamers.

It was being kicked by the PS3 and 360 Fanboys constantly and it still is to some degree with people calling it a fad. Only time will tell but with an installed base as big as its getting it will probably get considerable software support.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-01, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It was being kicked by the PS3 and 360 Fanboys constantly and it still is to some degree with people calling it a fad.
It still is but what serious gamers overlook is the fact that it is casual gamers that are still using it. With the upcoming workout game I expect the trend to continue. The Wii is the family movie of consoles. No respect but lots of sales.

Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-02, 09:37 AM

Especially with Super Mario Galaxy being released this month

Sony KDL46Z5100, Onkyo TX-SR605, Polk Audio RM10FS, 60GB Xbox 360, 160GB PS3 phat, 120GB PS3 slim
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-02, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Well maybe it's just me but it seems like the supply issue is bogus. I have through friends sold 6 Wii's atleast and while you may have to visit 2-3 stores you never go home empty handed. In short I think this "shortage" is cleverly orchestrated.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-02, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Exactly Dezz - it's all a very profitable orchestrated supply issue. We can't blame Nintento for wanting to make lots of money though. It has worked very well for them.

As a side note I picked up Rockstar Table Tennis for the Wii this week - a very fun game. It is the 1st Wii game I have bought in many months.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-05, 07:18 PM

Thinking of finally breaking down and getting one for (me) my kids. Comparison shopping or looking for better priced bundles does not seem to be an option for this platform as supplies still seem a little tight in some Toronto stores and I have yet to find any real price (or bundle) differential.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 08:22 AM

Because of current demand Nintendo has no reason to make a price cut anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in