Playing Gamecube games on Wii - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Playing Gamecube games on Wii

I have a very basic question...I just purchased a Game Cube game to play on my Wii . Do I need a different controller than what came with the Wii. (I know there is a classic controller, but I thought that was for the old school downloaded games). Also do I need a special memory card to save Game Cube games data?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 03:42 PM

Yes, and yes.

You need a Gamecube controller and a Gamecube memory card for the saves.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 03:43 PM

Yes, you need the gamecube memory card to save data, and a gamecube controller. I would highly recommend the wavebird wireless controller for gamecube.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. My $30 game doesn't seem like quiet a bargain any more based on all the extra accessories I will need.

To confirm - will the game cube controller work with the classic games - or will I need a third controller as well? Is there one that will work for both?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, you need the gamecube memory card to save data, and a gamecube controller. I would highly recommend the wavebird wireless controller for gamecube.
Thank you, I wanted to know if that joystick worked. I have a Wii that is severly under utilized, I only recently realized that it played GC games (I knew...but just never really thought about it). There are a lot of GC games I would like to get for my kids (age 4 and 2) but really didn't want a wired controller (again aged 4 and 2.....). Now I can keep the Wii safe at the same time
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Each classic game shows you which controllers can be used on them when you go into the Wii store.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-27, 10:09 AM

You can get a Wavebird wireless Gamecube controller. It's Nintendo first-party, so it's well built. The Wavebird a very good controller if you don't want wires. There's no rumble, but c'est la vie.

As for virtual console games, the cube controller works with everything except for one title: Super Mario World, which I think was an attempt by Nintendo to make people buy the classic controller. If somebody else knows different, please post.

Buying Cube accessories is an up-front pain, but there is a huge library of games to which you then have access, especially if you have kids. Most stores have great Cube games around $20. And Nintendo games hold their value well for trade-in at EB. I got $16 trade-value on Mario Kart DD, which is a three year-old game.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-27, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I just purchased a basic gamecube controller made by nintendo. I can't figure out how to plug it into the wii - there are no spots where it fits in. Am I missing something? Do I need some sort of adapter or did I buy the wrong thing?

Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-10-27, 01:04 PM

Across the top (if you have it set up vertically) or side, there's a door. You flip it open, and there are 4 Gamecube controller ports, and two memory card slots.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-11-04, 01:34 PM

"My $30 game doesn't seem like quiet a bargain any more based on all the extra accessories I will need."

Haha, this is how I felt after I bought a copy of Super Mario Sunshine on ebay for $2.00.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper77 View Post
Thanks for the info. My $30 game doesn't seem like quiet a bargain any more based on all the extra accessories I will need.

To confirm - will the game cube controller work with the classic games - or will I need a third controller as well? Is there one that will work for both?
After you purchase the Gamecube controller and memory card you can use them for many other Gamecube games which are available at pretty low prices. I'd recommend a memory card with over 1000 blocks, but that's just my opinion.

I have the Wavebird wireless controller too. It's great.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 03:04 PM

If you can get a cheap copy of the Donky Kongo with the bongos it’s worth getting. Plays great on the Wii. An extra set of bongos is recommended too.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in