Developers 'Nervous' About Making Wii Games - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-11, 11:26 PM
Zoo

I can't see the Wii failing. Nintendo will support this console as well as they have supported all their other ones in the past. If there is one thing that might scare developers is that they cannot simply "port" games like they have done in the past. Porting games over and not using the Wii's unique control possibilities would be a shame.

I see good things in the future for this console. I am an older gamer (36 going on 37 going on 17) who has really enjoyed playing a friend's Wii. I can see one of these in my family's future as the successor to my PS2. In the end it is about the games and about having fun. I have a whack of uncompleted PS1 and PS2 RPGs and platformers on the PS2 (plus some GTA to finish). The Wii can be my harmless quick fun while the PS2 can be my "longer" gaming fix.

I look forward to playing Nintendo games for the first time in 15 plus years. I had forgotten how much fun Nintendo games typically are...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-12, 12:26 AM

Wii will be fine for a few years, and good for younger gamers/familys.

Nintendo will need to bring a high def product to market at some point you have to think though.

Wii is only limited by what the developers want to do with it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-12, 09:59 AM
Digital Sage

Well, when you're number 1 among the newest nextgen machines, there is only one way to go.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-12, 10:15 AM
Veteran

I think there is a good potential for it to fade in popularity a lot over the next couple of years. The different controller use is unique and interesting but after a while I have found it somewhat annoying. I think developers should be a little wary about setting up long-term development plans.

My wife has been feeling the same way. She would rather play games with a regular controller most of the time now. She has been mostly playing the cheaper PS store only games. For the amount they cost she gets a lot of value from them and they seem to put new ones out quite a lot.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-12, 05:19 PM

yeah PS store is great for puzzle games, that women usually tend to like more than the sports/action/shot em up stuff us testosterone fueled ones gravitate towards
Rachet and Clank might be interesting for them too?

I assume xbox store is similar but never have used xbox live, so I dont know.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-14, 12:49 AM

I think the Wii will lose some of it's steam as time goes on it will show it's lack of power. I agree with the article that the company that makes money on a Nintendo system is Nintendo. Look at the top sellers on the Wii and DS....all nintendo...always.

Third parties can get away with putting shovelware that costs nothing to produce on the Wii and will still profit from mediocre sales. The big projects will be for the PS3/360

I'm a Wii60 owner BTW but am horriby unimpressed with the Wii
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Those cheap projects 3rd party developers put out for the Wii will diminish it's flawless image considerably.

Alot of people who purchase these games are "non gamers" and non gamers are not in the know and don't keep up to date on game reviews etc. They will be the targets of the cheap horrible games and after a few duds will be soured from the Wii experience I think. IMO Nintendo should really keep tight controls on who it lets develop for them. Some developers see the Wii as a way to make a quick buck and that's a dangerous mentality.

My wife picked up Brunswick bowling and I find the free version much better. Lets call it Exhibit A.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzpayne View Post
My wife picked up Brunswick bowling and I find the free version much better. Lets call it Exhibit A.
That's good to know. I was planning to buy the Brunswick Bowling game.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 04:13 AM
Veteran

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. I know a couple of friends (4) that have Wiis, and only 1 uses it on a regular basis (at least once a week). The other 3 agreed that the novelty wore off, and the 1 that uses it is a hardcore gamer; his wife and his son also play it.

Gord
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 11:59 AM

I've always been a person who plays games in waves .. I'll get bored with a game (or finish it) then switch to something else. When I got the Wii I hardly played my DS, lately I've hardly played on the Wii, but I've been on the DS alot (thanks to the new Brain Age 2 and Zelda) At other times I'll get hooked on computer games. I'm sure once some new Wii games come out I'll be playing on it again - I'm looking forward to Wii Fit and Mario Galaxy. I'm also thinking about getting the Wii DDR game - has anyone tried it?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksRock View Post
I'm looking forward to Wii Fit and Mario Galaxy. I'm also thinking about getting the Wii DDR game - has anyone tried it?
No, but I'm with you on the Mario Galaxy. That was a title way back that made me interested in the Wii.

Cal
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-10-26, 07:42 PM

I used my wii for a week and then quickly passed it on to my nephew.

Samsung 58B650-Toshiba A30-Yamaha YSP4000 YSTFSW100-Elite 360-BEV 9242-6100-H 880 - PS3 40GB
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in