Developers 'Nervous' About Making Wii Games - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 10:45 AM
Veteran

I have not turned the power on my Wii on in over 4 weeks now.

I'm not surprised about the 3rd party developers though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 02:23 PM

I'm not a hard-core gamer and I like our Wii because I don't have to play hardcore games. Plus, it's a great console to use when you have a bunch of friends over for a party--or have 4 kids like I do !

I think Nintendo games are more popular than 3rd party because they really understand the console and its unique controls.

Third party developers cannot simply transfer a game built for the XBox 360 or PS3/2 onto the Wii because they will fail to take advantage of what makes the Wii standout. That was probably what the problem was with a lot of the games that were first released for the Wii.

Why would anyone want to play a driving/racing game on the Wii? It just doesn't interest me. But the mini-games in releases like Wii Sports and Smooth Movies, really show-off what is possible to do with the Wii.

3rd party developers need the courage to make games that show-off the Wii's gameplay abilities and not try to compete in the area of graphics or be lazy and simply convert games from other consoles.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I think Nintendo games are more popular than 3rd party because they really understand the console and its unique controls.
If 3rd party devs see this console as not performing well for them, they will stop development on that console regardless of why. It will be to Wiis downfall then if Nintendo doesn't proactively go to their 3rd party dev studios and start educating them on how to "think" about their console. This console will not survive on Nintendo titles alone regardless of the current install base.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 04:00 PM

Those developers who drop out because of that are not willing to innovate and create new titles specifically for the Wii. Maybe we're better off without them?

One would hope however that there would be other developers who recognize that there is a niche there that could be profitable with the right game, especially with the demand for Wii consoles so high.

I do think that more companies recognize this, though. They just needed a bit more time to create the games. I've seen more games that are developed specifically for the Wii now, than I did before.

Small companies that are willing to truly innovate will be able to show off what the Wii really can do. Has anyone else seen that Wii Head-tracking video on YouTube? It reminded me of a holodeck from Star Trek .

Last edited by Stargazer; 2008-01-17 at 04:08 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 04:16 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Those developers who drop out because of that are not willing to innovate and create new titles specifically for the Wii. Maybe we're better off without them?
Exactly.

These were likely the same guys that said the Wii wouldn't sell blah, blah blah!

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Well I can speak for my own family here. The Wii to me was something to enjoy with friends and family and also to try and take the edge off my wife's view of games. Although we have bought a few games in year 1 we are coming to the realization that the free Wii sports is the most fun to be had on the console.

There were a few exclusives I was really hyped about but they really failed to live up to expectations. A good example being Zelda, I loved Zelda as a kid but to see that with the success of that franchise they can't afford a few voice actors and the graphics to me are hard to ignore. I have PS2 games 5 years old further ahead of the curve. In the end I was dissapointed and a gimmick control scheme could not save it for me.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzpayne View Post
Although we have bought a few games in year 1 we are coming to the realization that the free Wii sports is the most fun to be had on the console.
I have maintained that currently, this is true for the vast majority of that new market of Wii owners. It was certainly true for me and my friends. And finally, it came down to the fact that I had powered on my Wii so little in the past year, I just ended up gifting it to a friend of mine who has a couple of kids. Currently the most fun they have playing too is Wii Sports, but at least it gets regular usage at his house.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 11:15 AM

Gamers may move in other directions, but the Wii has never been a platform for gamers. It never tried to be. Nintendo has deliberately chosen a different market than the PS3 and the Xbox. It is an interesting business case to be sure! Instead of worrying about how big their slice of the pie will be, they have opted for a bigger pie. Wiis are finding their way to nursing homes as occupational therapy for the elderly - I can't see that with a PS3!

For myself, I have never been attracted to typical video games, and have not had a game system since my Commodore 64! But Santa brought our family a Wii, and we have been having a blast playing Super Mario Galaxy. We have hardly touched Wii Sports excpet when company is over and we organize mini tournaments. I am sure that we will spend more time on it later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in