Using Router With PS3? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Question Using Router With PS3?

Hi,

My son got his PS3 back in December and it connected fine to our wireless network which uses a Linksys WT54GS router. The router is Ver 6 with the latest firmware. About 2 months ago we started having problems with the router in that it would drop the internet connection whenever the PS3 tried to attach to the network wirelessly. What's interesting is the router would sent an IP to the PS3, but then router would lose it's connection to the internet. My internet connetion is a radio based system in that I have an antenna on my roof with a radio that points to a local tower which connects to the internet. I'm told my radio looks like a DSL modem for those who are not familiar with this configuration. As long as the PS3 is not trying to connect to the router the internet connection is solid, I have two laptops which connect to the internet through the router that work just fine. It took me a while to figure out that is was the PS3 that was bringing down the network however it became obvious last night when my son was setting up War Hawks. Sometimes the PS3 will attach correctly but even if it does the internet connection is very intermittant. Something is not right. Before I replaced the router I did a search and have found some references to similar problems that people had early on with Linksys router and PS3's. Some suggestions were disable Media center, assign a static IP, open some ports etc. But in the end where was nothing definative. I don't what to end up buying another Linksys and ending up with the same problem. I'm hoping that someone here has had a similar problem and could offer some suggestions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 11:08 AM

Can't necessarily offer a solution, but I have a PS3 wireless connected to my Linksys WRT54GS v1.0 and don't have such an issue. I've maybe had one time where the PS3 dropped the connection, but everything on my network was acting wonky at that time, so a quick power cycle of the router and modem resolved the issue. I don't know if the culprit is v6, or if it's your PS3 interfering with the RF based internet you have. Maybe if you have a friend with a linksys you could borrow it and see if it's any diff, or even though I don't like doing this, you could buy it from a big box retailer that has a good return policy and see if there are any changes to your situation.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Search over at the Linksys forums. You will find a lot of issues. Try disabling the search for a media server on the PS3 to see if that helps.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

That may be it

Thanks Icemann - I checked out the Linksys forum and it looks like others are having the same problem as I. I will try turning off the Media Server at the PS3 as suggested. Thanks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 04:23 PM
Veteran

jcol, I hope it works for you. In the end since I was updating to a faster dsl service I got the all in one Siemens ADSL modem/gateway and it has worked flawlessly since. I have no idea what's up with the Linksys product these days because I tried three different versions of the WRT54G and all had issues.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-06, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemann View Post
jcol, I hope it works for you. In the end since I was updating to a faster dsl service I got the all in one Siemens ADSL modem/gateway and it has worked flawlessly since. I have no idea what's up with the Linksys product these days because I tried three different versions of the WRT54G and all had issues.
Did you try the WTR54GL variant? This is the one that's based on the linux firmware, so it's more stable. The original WRT54G/GS models were linux based too, but then Linksys went and changed the chipsets and therefore the firmware later on in certain revisions.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 11:49 AM
Veteran

No, never changed to the L version. You are right, the original versions were much better then Cisco stuck their hands into the design and poof, crappy interoperability.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 07:41 PM

What Router for PS3?

I need advice on a router for media streaming from PS3 to HT and also for wireless internet with PC.

I know it needs to be 802.11G compliant for the PS3, but how fast does it need to transmit data? 54MPS, 100MBPS?

What should I look at Lynksys or D-Link?

My "Stuff": Hitachi 51F500, Denon 889, PS3, Paradigm - CC390, Monitor 9's, Atom Monitors, HSU VTF3 MKII sub.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 04:09 PM

PS3 which Router?

Hi all, I am going to buy a 40GB PS3 and want to hook it up useing the wireless feature. The router will be on the second floor of my house in the office and the PS3 will be in the basement in the HT, so two floors down and alot of concrete around it. Whats the best type of router for this setup? boosted G or N? Would love to hear from others with similar setups. I would like to have a good high speed connection for online play and downloads etc, is this possible?

many thanks in advance, looking forward to going purple

Anthem MRX-500/MPS-1, Sanyo Z5,Rocket 850's,Klipsch RC64 Center.,Mirage OM260 , SVS PB13 ULTRA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 05:11 PM
Member #1

The G o N is not really the issue here, it's signal strength. I would definitely suggest that to have any posssibility of working you would need an "extreme" type router. The ones with lots of antenna's.

Having said that, going two floors down with concrete etc, you are going to get poor reception. I would really suggest finding a way to hook it up to your router via wire.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 06:13 PM
Veteran

I am a big proponent of experimentation. When I intend to buy something, I am not afraid to do some research and pick a product and pick it up at the store. However I always choose a place that offers the 30 day return policy in case what I get I really don.t like, ends up a dud, or doesn't work as claimed and then get another 2nd place brand/model.

I love netgear wireless products to death. Have had a few different ones over the years and all seem to be reliable and perform well. My setup is only one floor away, but my house is old and there is concrete everywhere as well and my signal strength seems pretty steady at excellent (I use the WGR614 which I swear by.

Cal
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 06:50 PM

If your basement is two floors down with a concrete foundation around it, that won't affect your signal too badly if the floors are conventional wood beam and decking.

I use a old Linksys WRT54G (1st generation) router in the basement and have very good signal strength throughout a 4 level split, including the uppermost floor. I used it without problems for the PS/3 wireless connection for about 6 months, though the PS/3 is now located close to the router and hardwired. It's now used primarily for a wireless notebook.

I've also used Netgear, Smartbridges and Cisco wireless AP's in the house (A/B/G and N) as I test various RF equipment for compatibility and use in our company. The Linksys works as well as any of them in this environment. It's flashed to the latest firmware available for that generation of WRT54G, which did fix a VPN connection issue with that product a couple of years back. It also is using encryption, which can cause a slight hit in throughput.

Speed shouldn't be a major issue - a 802.11g AP/router (theoretical 54mbps) will probably maintain about 1/2 to 2/3 of that speed in the real world, which is still many times greater than high speed ADSL or cable will allow for your internet throughput.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 06:53 PM

Thanks so much guys, i really appreciate all the help, I think I'm going to try the wr54gs...I'll let you know what happens

Anthem MRX-500/MPS-1, Sanyo Z5,Rocket 850's,Klipsch RC64 Center.,Mirage OM260 , SVS PB13 ULTRA
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 08:00 PM

OK, after some serious tweaking, this isn't for non nurds, I finally got the Ps3 on line via wireless. Then after more tweaking got streaming music, pics, videos etc up and running, have to say, so far I am VERY impressed with the PS3's abilities, upconversion is awesome, BD PQ and SQ is incredible, why did I wait so long? Oh ya, it was the $ 400 price point! So far I have to say I am very impressed with this piece of kit. At this price point for me it does so much more than a standalone HD DVD player, however, I bought it for the sole reason of getting both formats and am truly impressed!

I LOVE HDM and that is why I went neutral, I need all movies in HD, plus all the other stuff is very cool, if you are on the fence for BR or HD in general, dive in, it is very well worth the reward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in